ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas Pro2 dead as Elvis  (Read 6994 times)

Dana Monroe

Midas Pro2 dead as Elvis
« on: July 17, 2021, 02:11:18 AM »

Hello, first post here, hopefully in right forum!!!

I have a Pro2 that worked the last time it was used in early 2020 when CV-19 hit. The venue where the console is, is getting ready to open so I checked out my Pro2 and SC48 today and they are both screwed up from down time  >:(. The Midas is completely Fubar. I was wondering if anyone has seen this problem and has had any experience with this described issue:
Upon turn on, the console is dark for about 20 seconds, then, all the channel buttons and lights everywhere light up at full peaking for about 25 seconds. The screen never comes on. Then the lights die and console goes dark. On the back of the console, the console looks normal with all the lights seemingly working fine, and both power supplies on. The Dr251 stage box shows that it seems to be working and no errors. But no lights no screen! 😑. And nothing else….

So, I did what I always do, and took that sucker apart, cleaned it thoroughly, sprayed all the internal connections made sure everything looked good, to no avail. I noticed that there was a big-azz SD card in there, guessing that the console boots up from that?

Anyone ever hear of a like problem on a Pro? Thanks for any help. Also, if there’s a known good service number for Midas I’d love to know what that number is.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: Midas Pro2 dead as Elvis
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 03:25:22 AM »

Out of curiosity were they left plugged in the whole time?  What were to storage conditions of the desk?

Dana Monroe

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 10:14:56 AM »

Out of curiosity were they left plugged in the whole time?  What were to storage conditions of the desk?
They were physically plugged in but not on. All other gear (lots of it) are fine. Furman filtration on the AC. The SC48 has switch problems, and lots of them. I have 3 SC48’s and they each have had their own problems. It’s obvious that there’s just bad parts runs on certain products. My first and oldest SC48 has been the most reliable but have had to replace CD drive and just a few faders. My next SC48 which has the switch problems, I’ve had to replace at least 10 switches ( and now about 20 more need replacing), the hard drive, the CD drive and a few faders. I have not had to replace ANY switches in the other two, but this SC48 has lots of bad switches ( installed, never moved and never seen outside, no smoking). My newest SC48 starting about a year after it was new, I had to eventually replace EVERY fader. They all went bad and I hardly used the console. Avid couldn’t care less. 

Anyway, I can replace the switches in the currently affected SC48 (if I can get them) but the Pro2 I have no idea what’s wrong with it…..

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 10:48:47 AM »

Does it have an internal back battery that can be replaced like so many other computers?

Dana Monroe

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 11:31:19 AM »

Does it have an internal back battery that can be replaced like so many other computers?
Well actually now that I think about it there is a circular small battery like in rack mount devices if that’s the kind of battery you’re talking about. It is located on the circuit board in the middle of the console at the bottom where the big SD card is. Yesterday when I was thoroughly cleaning the console, I saw it but just figured it wasn’t old enough yet to worry about. But I guess I could be wrong about that! And that’s a good thing to check. Argh, I’ll have go back there and open up that sucker again…. Could be a anything. Thanks for the thought.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 01:49:34 PM »

Well actually now that I think about it there is a circular small battery like in rack mount devices if that’s the kind of battery you’re talking about. It is located on the circuit board in the middle of the console at the bottom where the big SD card is. Yesterday when I was thoroughly cleaning the console, I saw it but just figured it wasn’t old enough yet to worry about. But I guess I could be wrong about that! And that’s a good thing to check. Argh, I’ll have go back there and open up that sucker again…. Could be a anything. Thanks for the thought.

Don't pull that battery until you know the proper way to do it. (You may have to re-flash your desk if you don't do it right)  I believe you should leave the desk on when doing that but wait for more experienced people to chime in here.

Douglas R. Allen

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2021, 05:40:43 PM »

The CR2032 is the "CMOS" battery that maintains dynamic settings for the motherboard BIOS.  The full size SD card is the OS and firmware for the console.

The partial boot suggests the SD card is not fully seated or has become corrupted.  Contact you Midas sales rep for support if re-seating the SD card fails to solve the problem.  Unless the console can boot, you cannot update or replace firmware on the desk, if it's like most other consoles.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dana Monroe

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 06:12:32 PM »

The CR2032 is the "CMOS" battery that maintains dynamic settings for the motherboard BIOS.  The full size SD card is the OS and firmware for the console.

The partial boot suggests the SD card is not fully seated or has become corrupted.  Contact you Midas sales rep for support if re-seating the SD card fails to solve the problem.  Unless the console can boot, you cannot update or replace firmware on the desk, if it's like most other consoles.
I did pull the SD card, made sure it was clean, sprayed some DEOxit on it but noithing helped. I am going back to the venue on Thursday to pull it apart again, and go in with a way to parallel a 2032 battery to the existing one first and see if that makes a difference. This console has never moved since installed about 5 years ago. Still, the very poor mechanical design has led to many standoffs failing that hold up the fader assembly (requiring me to redrill and fix a bunch with new small button head scews). Very poor spot welds by drunk robots I'm assuming.  >:(. No excuse on a mixer that NEVER MOVES.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 06:23:33 PM »

Hi Dana-

If you try again whilst the desk is open, see if you can hear the motherboard beeps during the POST.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2021, 08:28:53 PM »

DeOxit spray is the wrong thing for connectors almost every time.  If you have to flush a connector use the right solvent and one that has no residue.

I did pull the SD card, made sure it was clean, sprayed some DEOxit on it but noithing helped. ...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2021, 08:28:53 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.