ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The fun of outdoor shows...  (Read 1342 times)

Art Welter

Re: The fun of outdoor shows...
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2021, 04:17:56 pm »

Yes, I'd pull the plug with visible lighting and evacuate our personnel to a safer place (building, even the cab of a truck or personal vehicles) than being out in open weather.
Tim,

In the USA each year there are around 20 million lightning strikes, killing 40 people per year, while 38,000 are killed in car crashes, and another 39,000 from firearms.

I'd be far more worried about people (mainly me) being shot or run down if I had attempted to enforce a contract policy of shutting down and evacuating a show every time I had seen a flash and counted 23 seconds (5 miles) before hearing thunder ;^).

I still do count after every strike...

Art

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2021, 07:28:55 pm »

Tim,

In the USA each year there are around 20 million lightning strikes, killing 40 people per year, while 38,000 are killed in car crashes, and another 39,000 from firearms.

I'd be far more worried about people (mainly me) being shot or run down if I had attempted to enforce a contract policy of shutting down and evacuating a show every time I had seen a flash and counted 23 seconds (5 miles) before hearing thunder ;^).

I still do count after every strike...

Art

We use lightning strike detectors.  The reality is that by the time everyone is on the same page to do an *audience* evacuation, they've left because of the pouring rain and high winds.  But being crew or artist on the big aluminum erector set when you can smell the ozone?  Fuck no.

Edit PS:  https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,175809.msg16852.html#new
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 08:21:11 pm by Tim McCulloch »
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2021, 07:28:55 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.