ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paying the help  (Read 1824 times)

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
Re: Paying the help
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2021, 05:56:15 PM »

Fatigue is where people make mistakes and get hurt.

This is always my question- when you are "hiring" friends and unskilled labor, what is your plan for when they break a leg or a back or worse?
This space for rent

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2021, 03:10:24 AM »

This is always my question- when you are "hiring" friends and unskilled labor, what is your plan for when they break a leg or a back or worse?

Somebody I may know used to have a lot of casual labor up until the pandemic.  Then someone fell off a liftgate.  I heard their life flashed before their eyes.  The guy is still working and I heard he only had a few bruises.  That firm changed their entire people policy.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dave Pluke

• BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2021, 06:28:45 PM »

When you hire people only when needed, you must realize that you have to pay them enough to either take time off of their other job, or take away from their free time.

Slight tangent; I once worked for a company who had me drive my own vehicle 45 minutes each way to work a 1 hour strike - and wanted to only pay for the 1 hour.

Once, being the operative word.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2021, 08:06:35 PM »

Slight tangent; I once worked for a company who had me drive my own vehicle 45 minutes each way to work a 1 hour strike - and wanted to only pay for the 1 hour.

Once, being the operative word.

Dave

Well, it depends on the hourly rate, I guess. :)

But yeah, travel time certainly needs to be taken into account on what you're getting paid.  According to the IRS, it costs about 50 cents a mile to operate a vehicle.  So assuming 60mph, you put on about 90 miles to get to that event.  Even before your time is accounted for, you're $45 in the hole.

Our general policy is that employees are compensated from the time they get to the shop until they get back to the shop, so there's a consistent point of measurement.  If the employee happens to live 45 minutes away from our shop, I don't compensate them for driving to work. That's considered commute, and on them.

As an added bonus though, if the job happens to be closer to home for them, they may not be required to come into the shop on their way to work, easing their commute time.
Brian Jojade

Dave Bednarski

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2021, 10:20:04 AM »

After having one of my helpers die from complications from an injury on another job (stage deck slipped, fell on top of foot, blot clot 2 weeks later, dead) - everyone moved 100% to payroll, workers comp, no exceptions.  His injury was nothing out of the ordinary - simple miscue between two guys tired at the end of show doing the strike.  We use a day rate similar to posted above that post taxes withholdings works out to roughly $250 for a stage hand, $350 for audio/lighting (eastern Pennsylvania).  Sometimes hourly at a $25/35 rate, respectively. 

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2021, 02:35:05 PM »

For full production gigs, I hire a 1-2 local guys and pay $25. They're learning while they work and improving their skills. I figure a 30% labor burden and bill accordingly, which just happens to be what my local stage labor provider charges for fully burdened stagehand labor.

I bill/pay on a 10-hour day + OT

I have zero issue with spreading money around in my local economy.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealers for all this stuff

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2021, 02:35:05 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.