Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Light/compact sub options- JTR 212pro vs Yamaha DXS15 XLF ?

<< < (2/2)

Art Welter:

--- Quote from: Greg Harwood on July 15, 2021, 05:04:05 PM ---Tough to go wrong with anything JTR.

--- End quote ---
Other than a ~4 month production lead time right now...

Greg Harwood:

--- Quote from: Art Welter on July 15, 2021, 05:44:01 PM ---Other than a ~4 month production lead time right now...

--- End quote ---

Yeah, that's tough.  Jeff's products are great performers though.

Peter Morris:

--- Quote from: Douglas R. Allen on July 15, 2021, 10:33:45 AM ---  As you know it really depends on the sub and speaker relationship to it. My IG4T's sitting on poles on top of my Yorkville Ls801pb's require me to set 6 ms of delay using the internal delay in the IG4T's to get in good phase response at the crossover point measured with Smaart. If the IG4T or other speakers that are used are farther than 1/4 wavelength away then delay can be set to a location but not correct everywhere. I don't see the IG4T's or IG2T's I have as having much more built in delay then any other speaker that I have used. Every sub/mid-high system should be checked and may require some alignment. That's just the nature of the beast when mix an matching and deploying speakers. If it's 2ms needed of 20ms needed to get the system in alignment they both take about the same time to measure and setup. Most (if not all?) speakers with digital processing have some delay. Not a deal breaker by any means.

Douglas R. Allen

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure how much delay the FIR filter adds (its the number of taps they have used multiplied by the sample time @ 48kHz) but there is also some additional delay resulting from the phase response caused but the reflex tuning.  If you are matching it with something like a Yorkville Ls801 you will need to add delay to your sub not the IG4T. What you have done adding delay to the sub is an alignment that is 360 out .... it will sort of work, but ...

I often mix and match the IG4T's we have with different subs.  To do that I did a time alignment using Smaart so the sub & IG4T phase & time are correctly aligned.  I have written on the back of the sub the delay needed for two differed crossover frequencies I use with the IG4T's.  Basically, dB Tech  have done this for you when you match it with their subs as I posted above.  If the OP does not use them with dB Tech Subs they will have to do this alignment.

https://www.merlijnvanveen.nl/en/study-hall/166-subwoofer-alignment-the-foolproof-relative-absolute-method

Sean Anderson:

--- Quote from: Art Welter on July 15, 2021, 05:44:01 PM ---Other than a ~4 month production lead time right now...

--- End quote ---

If you can wait, the 212ps will certainly be louder, lower, and more articulate. I would wager 2 of them have more output than 4 of fhe Yamahas. But 4 months is hard. I ordered 2 of JTR's new dual 12 tops in May on a 2 month lead time. I am glad I ordered when I did.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version