Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Tap Tempo techniques?

(1/5) > >>

Kevin Maxwell:
Tap Tempo techniques?

I have been doing sound for a long time now but I never liked or really needed tap tempo type of delays. I have always been a bit of a purist just a little bit of reverb on vocals.  But the more I use digital consoles I have started playing around with some of the other effects available on them. One issue I have always had was what I thought was the tempo seems to not be quick enough. I am not a trained musician, I used to play the guitar but I was a mediocre rhythm guitar player that was lucky to play with more talented people them me. So I am probably not taping on the right beats. I think I am using the main rhythm and not really the beat. I am probably not even using the correct terminology.

So any suggestions? I have tried to find a video that might have some have some good training and suggestions for live sound but all I can find are ones for how to do it post production in specific DAWs.  Maybe my search terms arenít right.

And one specific question I have is if a song starts that needs the delay repeat to be at a specific tempo from the beginning of the song, I assume that you would dial that number in to start with (not tap it) but donít you need the tap part to get the repeats to be on the beat at the start of the song? So is there a way to dial in the timing but tap to start it at the right time in the song? Or am I missing something? This is obviously for live sound as I said. I assume that the recording guys can play around with the settings till they get it right.

While playing with some dry tacks to try and get used to a Tap Tempo delay I found that I liked it when it was used very subtlety along with a subtle reverb.

Dave Pluke:

--- Quote from: Kevin Maxwell on July 13, 2021, 11:20:09 PM ---So any suggestions?

While playing with some dry tacks to try and get used to a Tap Tempo delay I found that I liked it when it was used very subtlety along with a subtle reverb.

--- End quote ---

When an echo is a primary feature/effect, one pretty much has to hit the tempo on the head. If using a click track, that can be one's guide.

For on-the-fly tap tempos, I try to hit the upbeat. Depending on whether a long or short delay is desired, that'd mean on 2 or on 2 and 4 of a 4:4 beat. A friend of mine - who was also my instructor - prefers to slightly lag off the upbeat. Just have to experiment.

Dave

Russell Ault:

--- Quote from: Kevin Maxwell on July 13, 2021, 11:20:09 PM ---{...} but donít you need the tap part to get the repeats to be on the beat at the start of the song? So is there a way to dial in the timing but tap to start it at the right time in the song? Or am I missing something? {...}

--- End quote ---

You're missing something. :)

Despite the UX similarity, the tap tempo on a delay doesn't convert the effect into a looping pedal (thank goodness!). The delay is still just a delay like any other (and the echo is still just a delay with some feedback mixed in), and there is literally no difference between tapping, say, 120 BPM and setting it with a knob.

-Russ

brian maddox:

--- Quote from: Kevin Maxwell on July 13, 2021, 11:20:09 PM ---Tap Tempo techniques?

I have been doing sound for a long time now but I never liked or really needed tap tempo type of delays. I have always been a bit of a purist just a little bit of reverb on vocals.  But the more I use digital consoles I have started playing around with some of the other effects available on them. One issue I have always had was what I thought was the tempo seems to not be quick enough. I am not a trained musician, I used to play the guitar but I was a mediocre rhythm guitar player that was lucky to play with more talented people them me. So I am probably not taping on the right beats. I think I am using the main rhythm and not really the beat. I am probably not even using the correct terminology.

So any suggestions? I have tried to find a video that might have some have some good training and suggestions for live sound but all I can find are ones for how to do it post production in specific DAWs.  Maybe my search terms arenít right.

And one specific question I have is if a song starts that needs the delay repeat to be at a specific tempo from the beginning of the song, I assume that you would dial that number in to start with (not tap it) but donít you need the tap part to get the repeats to be on the beat at the start of the song? So is there a way to dial in the timing but tap to start it at the right time in the song? Or am I missing something? This is obviously for live sound as I said. I assume that the recording guys can play around with the settings till they get it right.

--- End quote ---

As Russell said, all Tap Tempo does is to put the amount of ms of delay in Time/Tempo with the song. Typically you just tap the tempo in once the song starts. Most devices set the tempo correctly within 3 taps, so it doesn't take long to get it in there.

Couple of tips. It's easier to get the tap tempo closer to "in time" if you're tapping faster. So for slower songs I often tap on the eighth notes and just alternate my finger back and forth from right beside the button to on the button. This is also a interesting way to approach songs in 6/8 by tapping on every beat of the 6 but only hitting the button on the 1 and 4. Makes for a 4/4 over 6/8 feel which in certain situations can be a cool effect.

Of course ALWAYS making your delays perfectly in time with the song tempo can get tiresome as well. So it's an artistic decision. And generally less is more.

Helge A Bentsen:
Also, the tap doesn't feel the same moving from console to console.
Some are easy, others have a very strange correlation between what you tap and hear.
This is compared to the 2290 I used for years mixing in clubs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version