Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Anyone recommend a micrometer?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Dave Garoutte:
The tool required is based mostly on the required tolerance.
A new set of quality calipers will be accurate to .001 inches or so, and repeat to .0005.
Nice dial calipers can be had for around $100, digital for $250.
Cheapos will be .002 to .004 and way less expensive.
The calipers will be more versatile in terms of what can be measured; OD, ID, depth, step, as well as range 6",8",12".
Micrometers are pretty much ID or OD and have a range of 1".

As with everything, define your needs first.

John Roberts {JR}:
I still have a rusty old vernier caliper that was passed down to me back in the 1960s that can measure mm or inches with good precision...

JR 

Steve-White:

--- Quote from: Brian Adams on July 13, 2021, 07:40:21 PM ---I usually reach for calipers when I need to measure something, I hardly ever use a micrometer. I usually prefer old school dial calipers, because the batteries never run down. If I were to buy a new digital caliper, I'd buy a Mitutoyo capable of fractions.

--- End quote ---

+1 for old school dial calipers.  I have two of them and a selection of micrometers.  95% of the time the dial calipers are what I grab out of the Gerstner chest.

Digital are fine if that's your preference.  But, with any precision measuring device the accuracy depends upon the hands taking the measurement.  Taking accurate consistent measurements are something that takes practice and time to get a feel for it.

Bob Stone:
Mitutoyo Digimatic Caliper and be done with it...yes they're $150 or so, but they're a lifetime tool.

Also, what exactly are you trying to measure? And for what purpose? That will drive the best choice. Calipers and Micrometers are one way but dial and test indicators with gauge blocks and surface plates are another. There's a lot of tools out there for very precise measurements.

Also also, just to be clear, the accuracy and range is dependent on the exact model you buy, read the specs....some calipers can do half a thou, some can only do 10 thou (btw Mac Kerr, 10 thousandths is 0.010" not 0.0001"), same goes for micrometers. Typically you'll hear "thousandths" or "thou" from machinists which is 0.001" and "tenths" which are 1/10th of a thousandth or 0.0001".

Ron Bolte:

--- Quote from: Bob Stone on July 14, 2021, 01:26:37 AM ---Mitutoyo Digimatic Caliper and be done with it...yes they're $150 or so, but they're a lifetime tool.

--- End quote ---

I agree.  They really are the best, and relatively cheap for what you get.
Just be careful if you go shopping for one, they might be the most counterfeited product on the internet, next to SM58s.
Any "deal" you see on eBay or Amazon is usually a cheap fake, or someone who bought a fake trying to unload it as used.
If you want a real one, go to McMaster or MSC or other reputable machinist supply.  If you don't care, then at least just get the Harbor Freight version and save your money.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version