Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Anyone recommend a micrometer?

(1/5) > >>

Bob Faulkner:
Looking for a micrometer that can measure the OD as well as ID.  I searched the forum for "micrometer"... several results, but did not see a reference to brands/models.

Analog or digital would be good.  I don't need the best, just something that will work when needed; I probably need to use one about 10 times a year.

Thanks.

Scott Hofmann:

Harbor Freight?
https://www.harborfreight.com/digital-micrometer-63647.html

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: Bob Faulkner on July 13, 2021, 06:16:22 PM ---Looking for a micrometer that can measure the OD as well as ID.  I searched the forum for "micrometer"... several results, but did not see a reference to brands/models.

Analog or digital would be good.  I don't need the best, just something that will work when needed; I probably need to use one about 10 times a year.

Thanks.

--- End quote ---

I don’t know of a micrometer that will do both inside and outside diameters, but if calipers would be accurate enough, they all do both, and have far greater range. Micrometer generally only cover a 1” range, calipers are available from 6” to at least 24” range.

Calipers can measure to 0.001” while micrometers can get down to 0.0001”. A thousandth of an inch or a ten thousandth, what do you need?

Mac

Bob Faulkner:

--- Quote from: Scott Hofmann on July 13, 2021, 06:41:03 PM ---Harbor Freight?
https://www.harborfreight.com/digital-micrometer-63647.html

--- End quote ---
This could work.

--- Quote from: Mac Kerr on July 13, 2021, 06:42:29 PM ---I don’t know of a micrometer that will do both inside and outside diameters, but if calipers would be accurate enough, they all do both, and have far greater range. Micrometer generally only cover a 1” range, calipers are available from 6” to at least 24” range.

Calipers can measure to 0.001” while micrometers can get down to 0.0001”. A thousandth of an inch or a ten thousandth, what do you need?

Mac

--- End quote ---
hmmm... well, you're right.  I have to say that I may actually be needing a caliper.  The 0.001 measurements would be more than adequate for anything I would do.   I'll look around for calipers.

Brian Adams:
I usually reach for calipers when I need to measure something, I hardly ever use a micrometer. I usually prefer old school dial calipers, because the batteries never run down. If I were to buy a new digital caliper, I'd buy a Mitutoyo capable of fractions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version