Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

Proper workflow for Zoom meetings with multiple cameras

(1/3) > >>

Justice C. Bigler:
I did a zoom meeting for my church over the weekend which was a near complete disaster. Mostly because they didn't have the right log in info for their Zoom account and the PA system for the room that we were renting wasn't set up right.

But anyway, it got me to wondering what the proper workflow is for Zoom meetings when using multiple cameras in one location.

I had my Blackmagic ATEM Mini Pro, two cameras, and multiple laptops with me. We had a speaker at the front of the room with one camera, and another camera for a wide shot of the attendees. Plus we had multiple people logging in to Zoom remotely. We were projecting the Zoom session on a video screen so that everyone could see the Zoom session, and hear via the in room PA system. We also had a PowerPoint presentation which was being run remotely by one of the Zoom attendees.

So, what's the proper workflow here? Does the Zoom session and the ATEM control software AND the PowerPoint all have to run on the same laptop? How do you control the zoom session and make sure that everyone can see the power point, or the full wide camera shot with all of the main attendees versus whoever is speaking and highlighted by Zoom automatically?

Does OBS do what I want to do better?

Dave Garoutte:

--- Quote from: Justice C. Bigler on July 12, 2021, 05:57:13 PM ---I did a zoom meeting for my church over the weekend which was a near complete disaster. Mostly because they didn't have the right log in info for their Zoom account and the PA system for the room that we were renting wasn't set up right.

But anyway, it got me to wondering what the proper workflow is for Zoom meetings when using multiple cameras in one location.

I had my Blackmagic ATEM Mini Pro, two cameras, and multiple laptops with me. We had a speaker at the front of the room with one camera, and another camera for a wide shot of the attendees. Plus we had multiple people logging in to Zoom remotely. We were projecting the Zoom session on a video screen so that everyone could see the Zoom session, and hear via the in room PA system. We also had a PowerPoint presentation which was being run remotely by one of the Zoom attendees.

So, what's the proper workflow here? Does the Zoom session and the ATEM control software AND the PowerPoint all have to run on the same laptop? How do you control the zoom session and make sure that everyone can see the power point, or the full wide camera shot with all of the main attendees versus whoever is speaking and highlighted by Zoom automatically?

Does OBS do what I want to do better?

--- End quote ---

Go to Aaron Parecki's Youtube channel.  He does this stuff a lot.
Youtube is your friend for this type of thing.

Tim McCulloch:
The ATEM Mini pro can encode the stream and feed it to your computer via USB-C to connect to the streaming service.  Use the HDMI to feed a multi-view monitor.

I'd run the Power Point on a separate machine and bring it into the ATEM Mini Pro as a camera input.  I'd not use the same machine to do more than one thing at a time.  Seriously.

Up to a point, Zoom can handle echo cancellation and it already does a mix-minus.  If you split out audio on the zoom computer to feed the PA (like 4 wire coms) you can "Use original audio" and control which features are used going back to the Zoom meeting.

Mike Caldwell:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on July 12, 2021, 08:46:08 PM ---The ATEM Mini pro can encode the stream and feed it to your computer via USB-C to connect to the streaming service.  Use the HDMI to feed a multi-view monitor.

--- End quote ---

The Mini Pro can stream directly to streaming host URL via it's built in encoder and using the ethernet connection.
You do need to set it up using the control software connecting to the computer running the software with the USB connection.
The multi view monitor option displays all the vital information.

BMD figured out how to cram a lot of features in a small box, make it work all for a crazy price.

Justice C. Bigler:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on July 12, 2021, 08:46:08 PM ---The ATEM Mini pro can encode the stream and feed it to your computer via USB-C to connect to the streaming service.  Use the HDMI to feed a multi-view monitor.

I'd run the Power Point on a separate machine and bring it into the ATEM Mini Pro as a camera input.  I'd not use the same machine to do more than one thing at a time.  Seriously.

Up to a point, Zoom can handle echo cancellation and it already does a mix-minus.  If you split out audio on the zoom computer to feed the PA (like 4 wire coms) you can "Use original audio" and control which features are used going back to the Zoom meeting.

--- End quote ---
Unfortunately, the PowerPoint was being run remotely by one of the Zoom attendees. I think this cause a significant amount of our problems since this person also did not maximize their presentation to full screen, so we got to see all their notes as well as the tiny PP presentation.

And the Mix Minus threw me off, because, while I had the Zoom video working relatively easily, I didn't get any audio from the zoom session until we hooked up a second laptop running a local Zoom session that was connected directly to the room PA system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version