Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

What's the word on USB mics?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Scott Helmke:

--- Quote from: Keith Broughton on July 12, 2021, 06:45:56 PM ---USB mics can sound quite reasonable for this application. Just make sure it's directional as some are just omnis on a stand.

Which makes me think of another question...
When did it become OK and even "cool" to have a big assed mic in the shot?

--- End quote ---

If you don't have a Shure SM7, you're nobody.

BTW, Shure now has a USB version of the SM7, or at least something that sounds pretty good and looks like an SM7.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Scott Helmke on July 12, 2021, 09:03:36 PM ---If you don't have a Shure SM7, you're nobody.

BTW, Shure now has a USB version of the SM7, or at least something that sounds pretty good and looks like an SM7.

--- End quote ---

Or an RE-20, or Heil PR-40.  All the "big" dynamic mics seem to need a lot of clean gain (these have sold a lot of Cloudlifters).

I've never known why having a mic in a camera shot, when it's clear a microphone is being used, became such a taboo.  Movies, plays/musicals.. yeah, I get it.  Note that the late night TV hosts have desk mics (as props or "last chance" backup) in shot.

So, Professor Broughton, how about a nice discussion of gain staging in a digital world?
  8) 8) 8)

Doug Fowler:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on July 12, 2021, 10:05:44 PM ---Or an RE-20, or Heil PR-40.  All the "big" dynamic mics seem to need a lot of clean gain (these have sold a lot of Cloudlifters).

I've never known why having a mic in a camera shot, when it's clear a microphone is being used, became such a taboo.  Movies, plays/musicals.. yeah, I get it.  Note that the late night TV hosts have desk mics (as props or "last chance" backup) in shot.

So, Professor Broughton, how about a nice discussion of gain staging in a digital world?
  8) 8) 8)

--- End quote ---

Don't forget Senn 421!

Justice C. Bigler:

--- Quote from: Keith Broughton on July 12, 2021, 06:45:56 PM ---Which makes me think of another question...
When did it become OK and even "cool" to have a big assed mic in the shot?

--- End quote ---
Showing off your big, expensive mic has always been cool, unless you're a video guy and then you get mad because people won't accommodate you when you show up to the gig 10 minutes before curtain.

Helge A Bentsen:
I think it's better for unexperienced users to use a decent mic on a stand talking directly into it than trying to deal with lav placement, corrective eq and room acoustic.
Did a live podcast where the host decided we must use lavs and afterwards complained that it didn't "sound right".
I tried to warn him up front that a omni placed on your chest in a room with a PA doesn't sound like your SM7B up close, but that was ignored...

The next show we did I provided Sennheiser MD441, he thought they looked cool and sounded right.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version