Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

What's the word on USB mics?

(1/3) > >>

Spenser Hamilton:
The Gallery side of our operation has been doing a lot of virtual art content over the last year, most of it we are shooting in the Studio (Sony camera, either an RE20 or a camera mounted shotgun mic for voice), but one of our teachers prefers to shoot her videos at home in her own studio space.

First video came out, video quality is fine but the audio sounds like you would expect a built-in webcam mic to sound. Wondering if a USB mic on a desk-mount stand might be an easy solution as I don't want to send her home with an audio interface, the RE20 and a bunch of cables.

Anybody doing this? What do you find works?

Dave Garoutte:
Lots of people doing this.
Search Youtube for usb mics.  Lots of demos.
Curtis Judd is a pro audioer who does in depth reviews of stuff.

Keith Broughton:

--- Quote from: Spenser Hamilton on July 12, 2021, 04:48:28 PM ---The Gallery side of our operation has been doing a lot of virtual art content over the last year, most of it we are shooting in the Studio (Sony camera, either an RE20 or a camera mounted shotgun mic for voice), but one of our teachers prefers to shoot her videos at home in her own studio space.

First video came out, video quality is fine but the audio sounds like you would expect a built-in webcam mic to sound. Wondering if a USB mic on a desk-mount stand might be an easy solution as I don't want to send her home with an audio interface, the RE20 and a bunch of cables.

--- End quote ---
USB mics can sound quite reasonable for this application. Just make sure it's directional as some are just omnis on a stand.

Which makes me think of another question...
When did it become OK and even "cool" to have a big assed mic in the shot?

Dave Garoutte:

--- Quote from: Keith Broughton on July 12, 2021, 06:45:56 PM ---USB mics can sound quite reasonable for this application. Just make sure it's directional as some are just omnis on a stand.

Which makes me think of another question...
When did it become OK and even "cool" to have a big assed mic in the shot?

--- End quote ---
Because it looks like the radio DJ and talk show mics, so it must be right. ::)
Plus you can hide behind them.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Spenser Hamilton on July 12, 2021, 04:48:28 PM ---The Gallery side of our operation has been doing a lot of virtual art content over the last year, most of it we are shooting in the Studio (Sony camera, either an RE20 or a camera mounted shotgun mic for voice), but one of our teachers prefers to shoot her videos at home in her own studio space.

--- End quote ---

A friend of mine uses this mic (although with a different preamp/mixer)
https://www.amazon.com/Marantz-Pro-MPM1000-Recording-Microphone/dp/B08RFXT53N/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version