Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

Outdoor GFI and my city

(1/4) > >>

Kelly_Dodge:
I have a (temporary) stage setup at an arts center. The city is demanding that ALL outdoor electrical be on GFCIs.

We are a little old school in the lighting department. Inside, they have a breaker panel with with camlock outputs. We run the camlock cables to a dimmer pack. The dimmer pack runs socapex out the door of the building to the stage, and connects to the lights hanging from the roof.

The city has asked if we can get a 100 amp 3 phase GFCI breaker. I've called around. It seems that it doesn't exist, at least for their electrical panel (Square-D).

Is there a way to comply with what they want?

And more complicated probably, is there a document that I can give them from somewhere showing what the "industry standard" is and how they are being overly cautious? I think they kind of just don't understand what we are doing...

Thanks!

John Roberts {JR}:
https://www.littelfuse.com/products/shock-block-gfci/industrial-products/sb6000.aspx

I didn't see a price but you what they say if you have to ask about the price it is probably too high.

=======

I would expect GFCI outlets for everything the meat puppets touch should be enough.

In europe they use RCL (similar to GFCI) to protect entire branches but single phases AFAIK

JR

Scott Hofmann:
Doubt the Littelfuse Shock Block would work with the Socapex/conventional lighting as the spec sheet says it cannot be used with loads that have a neutral.

Art Welter:

--- Quote from: Kelly_Dodge on July 12, 2021, 01:06:23 PM ---
The city has asked if we can get a 100 amp 3 phase GFCI breaker. I've called around. It seems that it doesn't exist, at least for their electrical panel (Square-D).

--- End quote ---
Kelly,

Bender (yes, Futurama is now) might have what you are looking for:

https://www.benderinc.com/products/protection-panels/gfgc-series

Not going to be a simple replace the mains breaker solution- questions? Contact Bender..

Art

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Kelly_Dodge on July 12, 2021, 01:06:23 PM ---I have a (temporary) stage setup at an arts center. The city is demanding that ALL outdoor electrical be on GFCIs.

We are a little old school in the lighting department. Inside, they have a breaker panel with with camlock outputs. We run the camlock cables to a dimmer pack. The dimmer pack runs socapex out the door of the building to the stage, and connects to the lights hanging from the roof.

And more complicated probably, is there a document that I can give them from somewhere showing what the "industry standard" is and how they are being overly cautious? I think they kind of just don't understand what we are doing...

Thanks!

--- End quote ---

The key in Code and OSHA is outlets "for use by personnel." 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version