ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Gigging backpack Reccomendation  (Read 1798 times)

Dustin Kay

Gigging backpack Reccomendation
« on: July 11, 2021, 11:23:10 PM »

My trusty ogio back pack is finally getting a little too torn up to bring to gigs. Had it about 6 or 7 years and it's been through a lot. I'm thinking about buying the same one new again, but I wanted to probe the community for their opinions. I do live sound mostly in club date wedding circuits, some live shows. This is my side gig so I end up mostly being A2 but do A1 from time to time and like to have plenty of tools and back up gear incase of that oh **** moment. Any recommendations on bags that work well for my situation that you all have had experience with that is well organized and can hold some tools, cables, few mics and maybe a change of Sox and shirt? Would be a plus if it had a laptop space for the days I need to record.

Thanks in advance for your input

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: Gigging backpack Reccomendation
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 11:34:52 PM »

My trusty ogio back pack is finally getting a little too torn up to bring to gigs. Had it about 6 or 7 years and it's been through a lot. I'm thinking about buying the same one new again, but I wanted to probe the community for their opinions. I do live sound mostly in club date wedding circuits, some live shows. This is my side gig so I end up mostly being A2 but do A1 from time to time and like to have plenty of tools and back up gear incase of that oh **** moment. Any recommendations on bags that work well for my situation that etc you all have had experience with that is well organized and can hold some tools, cables, few mics and maybe a change of Sox and shirt? Would be a plus if it had a laptop space for the days I need to record.

A Pelican style case, carryon size.

About any backpack will do. If you want to attach "things" to the outside, a tactical backpack that supports MOLLE would serve you well.  You can get just any type of pouch for MOLLE.

Ebags house brand is rock solid, and you can get a good deal with sales and coupons.  I have a laptop commuter style bag, and a travel backpack that can also be checked.  Just stuff the straps into their storage area. 

I have had other backpacks that were disabled by poor stitching where the strap meets the backpack.  Ebags does not suffer this problem.  Highly recommended, by a "bag slut".  I'm the worst lol....

www.ebags.com
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 10:05:30 AM »

I got tired of backpacks a few years ago. They get to be heavy, the thing you want at any particular moment is always buried at the bottom, and you have to be careful when you're loading them on a truck or packing them with other gear so they don't get smashed.

I use Pelican cases for that little stuff now. Other than being a tiny bit heavier, the only real disadvantage of a Pelican is that it's not a backpack, so you need a free hand to wheel it around. And there's not a pocket for a water bottle. I'm so much more organized now though. Only thing, I use a 1510 for my small workbox, with tools, testers, adapters, headphones, a couple rolls of gaff, all that kind of stuff. It works great, but it's just a little bit too small for me, so I might migrate that stuff to a 1560 case. I haven't completely decided yet though, since it's right on the line, and I like the smaller size.

I use one of these for my laptop, which might work well for you:
https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/cases/studio-case/protector/1510sc

I usually have 3 cases go to FOH with me, my 1510 workbox, my 1510 laptop case, and my 1440 case full of bottled water and snacks because you can't rely on catering, especially on the last day of a festival. The 1440 a $200 case for about $30 worth of food and water, but the dividers and lift-out tray work perfectly for me. And it looks more official than a plastic bag and a cooler.

If I really wanted to go back to a backpack, I'd probably get something with adjustable padded dividers, like the backpacks that photographers use. Seems like that would be the best way to keep things organized.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 11:13:12 PM »

It works great, but it's just a little bit too small for me...

So true, regardless of what size or how many cases. 

I like working backwards.  Determine how many and what size (carry-on?) your max limit is, and get a few specific mini cases to go inside those or stack together to equal one of those.  Also check out HPRC (HPRCUSA.com) for similar.  That way you can keep Smaart and Laptop together, tools and adapters together, cables, food/drinks together, etc.   
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 01:36:49 PM »

I got a Nomatic backpack last year and like it a lot.  The expandable accordion type design is great for when I need both a mac and a PC on site.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 03:46:22 PM »

Any recommendations on bags that work well for my situation that you all have had experience with that is well organized and can hold some tools, cables, few mics and maybe a change of Sox and shirt?

Some guys I know use these:

https://www.amazon.com/Electrician-Tradesman-Klein-Tools-55421BP-14/dp/B00MK9UY0A

One real advantage is the molded base that a) keeps the backpack from slouching over and b) *may* keep contents dryer at sloppy gigs.

I'm pulling a Pelican 1510 and carrying a Swiss Gear backpack at the moment, but may pick up a Klein soon.

Dave

...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2021, 08:31:49 AM »

I picked up a Pelican U105 "urban backpack" in late 2019 and it has been pretty great. It's a very basic pack, but my primary reason for purchase was the hard plastic frame around the laptop compartment. Makes me feel a lot better about throwing it in the back of a truck or leaving it sitting around on stage.

The main storage compartment is just a big void and is easy to lose things in, but sorting things in to pouches with fluorescent spike tape labels helps. I keep various dongles, small cables, a notepad, rain gear, snacks, chargers, etc. in there. I try to be choosy what goes in the bag as to keep the weight from becoming too much. The front compartment has a hard shell and has been good for pens, flashlights, sunglasses, hand sanitizer, etc.

The bigger Pelican bags are nice and offer added organization and water resistance, but they are sooooo heavy. A couple guys in our shop have them and every time I move one I can't believe they carry it around. The U105 is much more basic but several pounds lighter and handles everything I need to have on my back. It's also much cheaper.

My main gripe would be the zip out "water bottle holder" on the side is completely useless. It's so shallow that every time I picked up my bag my water bottle would fly out. I just make sure it's sealed up and keep it in the main compartment now.

All my tools, meters, supplies, etc ride in a Pelican 1510.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 08:37:04 AM by Steven Eudaly »

Matthias McCready

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2021, 09:56:42 AM »

My trusty ogio back pack is finally getting a little too torn up to bring to gigs. Had it about 6 or 7 years and it's been through a lot. I'm thinking about buying the same one new again, but I wanted to probe the community for their opinions. I do live sound mostly in club date wedding circuits, some live shows. This is my side gig so I end up mostly being A2 but do A1 from time to time and like to have plenty of tools and back up gear incase of that oh **** moment. Any recommendations on bags that work well for my situation that you all have had experience with that is well organized and can hold some tools, cables, few mics and maybe a change of Sox and shirt? Would be a plus if it had a laptop space for the days I need to record.

I have had a 5.11 24-hour bag for a little over 7 years now. It has been my daily companion for everything: the ER (when I used to work that), ambulance (EMS work), travel, audio gigs, when I used to walk several miles a day, and everything in between. The only wear it has at all, is the 3mm pads on the lower back of the pack (that keep a shirt from riding up) got worn off.

Functionally it is in like new condition, no torn straps or holes of any kind. And I have often have it loaded to capacity sometimes with 2-3 laptops, headphones, books, clothes, Smaart rig, and some tools.

It has tons of pockets for everything.

When I need more storage I bring a 1510 or two with me.  :)

Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2021, 10:27:49 AM »

I'm using one of these for laptops, some extra clothes and various stuff I need while on the move. (earplugs, headphones, chargers etc.)
https://eu.wandrd.com/collections/duffels/products/hexad-carryall-duffel

A Peli 1510 for my Smaart system and various bits n' pieces needed at a gig.
Sometimes I repack into a 1560 if I need more space for mics etc, and don't want to have two pelis with me, but that usually stays pre-packed with a band mic setup and goes along if needed.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2021, 06:49:45 PM »

I picked up a Pelican U105 "urban backpack" in late 2019 and it has been pretty great. It's a very basic pack, but my primary reason for purchase was the hard plastic frame around the laptop compartment. Makes me feel a lot better about throwing it in the back of a truck or leaving it sitting around on stage.

The main storage compartment is just a big void and is easy to lose things in, but sorting things in to pouches with fluorescent spike tape labels helps. I keep various dongles, small cables, a notepad, rain gear, snacks, chargers, etc. in there. I try to be choosy what goes in the bag as to keep the weight from becoming too much. The front compartment has a hard shell and has been good for pens, flashlights, sunglasses, hand sanitizer, etc.

The bigger Pelican bags are nice and offer added organization and water resistance, but they are sooooo heavy. A couple guys in our shop have them and every time I move one I can't believe they carry it around. The U105 is much more basic but several pounds lighter and handles everything I need to have on my back. It's also much cheaper.

My main gripe would be the zip out "water bottle holder" on the side is completely useless. It's so shallow that every time I picked up my bag my water bottle would fly out. I just make sure it's sealed up and keep it in the main compartment now.

All my tools, meters, supplies, etc ride in a Pelican 1510.

Yes, organizing pouches are cheap and get the job done.  Tape/sharpies in one, turnarounds in another etc.

I pack my travel backpack (Ebags of course :-) with organizing cubes for overseas travel.  I can go indefinitely with the backpack.  The key is having a smart laundry kit for sink use, and no denim jeans.  Jeans take forever to air dry, I usually wear stretchy black or dark blue pants that can dry overnight.   Same with socks, etc.  No cotton, everything dries overnight.

Laundry kit is a large flat rubber sink stopper, a nylon braided clothesline with Velcro on each end so you can mount it between maybe the shower head and towel bar, whatever is available.  Rick Steves' online store has a good one.  The final part is packets of Woolite to wash clothes with. Woolite makes no suds and rinses clean.  The laundry kit fits in a quart size ziplock bag.   

Sorry for the topic swerve.  Hopefully international travel gets easier soon.  My passport is weeping.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2021, 06:49:45 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.