Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

Meyer X-20: Do you like them?

(1/5) > >>

John Dippel:
Newbie here. Hope I'm in the right place.
I'm thinking of buying the Meyer X-20 speaker and would like feedback on people's experience with them.
I play small indoor clubs with either a full band or solo. I currently use EV Qrx 112/75 (with an optional Danley mini sub), which I love. However, they are heavy and I am aging, so I'm looking for something lighter but still with similar sound quality. I noticed the X-20 and it seems to fit the bill. I'd love to get feedback from people who have used them.
So, if you've used them: do you like them? Any issues? Thanks.  :)

Art Welter:

--- Quote from: John Dippel on July 11, 2021, 04:52:19 PM ---Newbie here. Hope I'm in the right place.
I'm thinking of buying the Meyer X-20 speaker and would like feedback on people's experience with them.
I play small indoor clubs with either a full band or solo. I currently use EV Qrx 112/75 (with an optional Danley mini sub), which I love. However, they are heavy and I am aging, so I'm looking for something lighter but still with similar sound quality.

--- End quote ---

John,

Dropping from 58 pounds of weight to 27 pounds is a little more than a 3dB reduction, while reducing from a 12" driver to 2x5" is a reduction of cone area by around 2.7 times (the HF driver Sd reduction is about 2 times), more than a 6 dB reduction in output.

In terms of sound "quality", not an issue, but it takes a certain level to "keep up" to a full band and ambient noise in a club.
In simple terms of SPL (sound pressure level), what your EV Qrx 112/75 could do at 50 feet (18 meters), the Meyer X-20 would max out at about 20-25 feet (8-9 meters).

Art

Doug Fowler:

--- Quote from: John Dippel on July 11, 2021, 04:52:19 PM ---Newbie here. Hope I'm in the right place.
I play small indoor clubs with either a full band or solo. I currently use EV Qrx 112/75 (with an optional Danley mini sub), which I love. However, they are heavy and I am aging, so I'm looking for something lighter but still with similar sound quality. I noticed the X-20 and it seems to fit the bill. I'd love to get feedback from people who have used them.
So, if you've used them: do you like them? Any issues? Thanks.  :)

--- End quote ---

You are aware of the price?

Scott Helmke:
The thing about Meyer speakers is that they have flat response.  No hyping of the lows and highs.  Listening to one of these speakers by itself isn't that exciting, but several will very cleanly integrate into a bigger system.  It's a really great speaker, but might take a little getting used to.

Also they're expensive.  Really expensive. 

But yeah, I like them.  Done a few shows with the X40 and like them quite a lot too.

Justice C. Bigler:
Yeah, I do like the new X-20s and X-40s. they sound amazing and get nice and loud.

They are also hella expensive. And I think they are way over priced for club work, unless you are playing super high end clubs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version