ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Meyer X-20: Do you like them?  (Read 2109 times)

John Dippel

Meyer X-20: Do you like them?
« on: July 11, 2021, 04:52:19 PM »

Newbie here. Hope I'm in the right place.
I'm thinking of buying the Meyer X-20 speaker and would like feedback on people's experience with them.
I play small indoor clubs with either a full band or solo. I currently use EV Qrx 112/75 (with an optional Danley mini sub), which I love. However, they are heavy and I am aging, so I'm looking for something lighter but still with similar sound quality. I noticed the X-20 and it seems to fit the bill. I'd love to get feedback from people who have used them.
So, if you've used them: do you like them? Any issues? Thanks.  :)

Art Welter

Re: Meyer X-20: Do you like them?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 06:08:07 PM »

I'm thinking of buying the Meyer X-20 speaker and would like feedback on people's experience with them.
I play small indoor clubs with either a full band or solo. I currently use EV Qrx 112/75 (with an optional Danley mini sub), which I love. However, they are heavy and I am aging, so I'm looking for something lighter but still with similar sound quality.

John,

Dropping from 58 pounds of weight to 27 pounds is a little more than a 3dB reduction, while reducing from a 12" driver to 2x5" is a reduction of cone area by around 2.7 times (the HF driver Sd reduction is about 2 times), more than a 6 dB reduction in output.

In terms of sound "quality", not an issue, but it takes a certain level to "keep up" to a full band and ambient noise in a club.
In simple terms of SPL (sound pressure level), what your EV Qrx 112/75 could do at 50 feet (18 meters), the Meyer X-20 would max out at about 20-25 feet (8-9 meters).

Art

« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 06:11:41 PM by Art Welter »

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 06:11:31 PM »

I play small indoor clubs with either a full band or solo. I currently use EV Qrx 112/75 (with an optional Danley mini sub), which I love. However, they are heavy and I am aging, so I'm looking for something lighter but still with similar sound quality. I noticed the X-20 and it seems to fit the bill. I'd love to get feedback from people who have used them.
So, if you've used them: do you like them? Any issues? Thanks.  :)

You are aware of the price?
"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

Scott Helmke

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 10:17:10 PM »

The thing about Meyer speakers is that they have flat response.  No hyping of the lows and highs.  Listening to one of these speakers by itself isn't that exciting, but several will very cleanly integrate into a bigger system.  It's a really great speaker, but might take a little getting used to.

Also they're expensive.  Really expensive. 

But yeah, I like them.  Done a few shows with the X40 and like them quite a lot too.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • back home in Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 01:33:28 AM »

Yeah, I do like the new X-20s and X-40s. they sound amazing and get nice and loud.

They are also hella expensive. And I think they are way over priced for club work, unless you are playing super high end clubs.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 01:36:48 AM by Justice C. Bigler »
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Peter Morris

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 08:55:28 AM »

John,

Dropping from 58 pounds of weight to 27 pounds is a little more than a 3dB reduction, while reducing from a 12" driver to 2x5" is a reduction of cone area by around 2.7 times (the HF driver Sd reduction is about 2 times), more than a 6 dB reduction in output.

In terms of sound "quality", not an issue, but it takes a certain level to "keep up" to a full band and ambient noise in a club.
In simple terms of SPL (sound pressure level), what your EV Qrx 112/75 could do at 50 feet (18 meters), the Meyer X-20 would max out at about 20-25 feet (8-9 meters).

Art

I think it might be quite a bit more than 6 dB - The X20 is rated at 123.5 dB pink noise with a 12.5 dB crest factor = 111 dB long term compared to 125 dB for the Qrx ... 14 dB, which is a lot; but as you said "In terms of sound "quality", not an issue" Meyer make beautiful speakers.

Brian Bolly

• Homeward Bound
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 09:33:12 AM »

I think it might be quite a bit more than 6 dB - The X20 is rated at 123.5 dB pink noise with a 12.5 dB crest factor = 111 dB long term compared to 125 dB for the Qrx ... 14 dB, which is a lot; but as you said "In terms of sound "quality", not an issue" Meyer make beautiful speakers.

I'd argue that it's a lot closer than 14 dB.

X20 spec sheet - 123.5 dB linear peak (measured maximum long-term, without limiting)
QRX112/75 spec sheet - 125 dB (calculated maximum long-term)

That's a 1.5 dB difference.  You can make the X20 go louder, but it's well out of linear operation at that point, and why would you want to?

If you're subtracting 12.5 dB for the pink noise crest factor from one, it would stand to reason that should be similarly subtracted from the other (except for the whole calculated/not measured part)

Edit: I like my X20 and X40.  A lot. 

Peter Morris

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 10:13:26 AM »

X20 spec sheet - 123.5 dB linear peak (measured maximum long-term, without limiting)

That's a 1.5 dB difference.  You can make the X20 go louder, but it's well out of linear operation at that point, and why would you want to?

If you're subtracting 12.5 dB for the pink noise crest factor from one, it would stand to reason that should be similarly subtracted from the other (except for the whole calculated/not measured part)

No  :) ... the spec sheet says 123.5 dB peak, and it says that's calculated with a 12.5 dB crest factor - it also gives an M noise spec based on 20 dB crest factor of 127 dB.  The QRx is an old spec calculated with a 6 dB crest factor (131 dB)  If you apply M noise to the QRx it would be 145 dB peak, assuming the driver could take that power.

In simple terms the X20 is a lovely little speaker suitable for what Meyer suggests -
• Multi-purpose Audio/Visual
• Corporate rental
• Houses of worship
• Conference rooms
• High-end private installations
• Retail spaces
• Theater

I suspect it may struggle with the full band the OP mentioned.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 10:42:00 AM by Peter Morris »

Kent Clasen

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2021, 01:20:02 PM »

The X20 is fantastic sounding. I even brought a pair home and used for my HIFI speakers for a few weeks. The output is surprising based on the speaker size, but as others have pointed out it would not have the same SPL as the EV. I would use it for small clubs with a sub(s) IF it has the desired SPL output AND you want a premium speaker/quality in a small for factor.. the X40 would be my suggestion.
Kent

Edit not sure what I did on that original post…sorry Art…
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 06:55:39 PM by Kent Clasen »

Art Welter

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2021, 03:06:07 PM »

Brian,

If you want to argue that a speaker using 2x5" can go to within 1.5 dB of a 12" speaker, you would also be arguing that those 5" speakers are capable of as much linear excursion as a good 18" driver, about 15mm, 30mm peak to peak, over 1.625" of travel. 

To avoid arguing about Meyers specs, and to put it simply (as shown in the calculations below) a 12" speaker is capable of 125 dB output at 150Hz with a one way excursion of 6mm, a reasonable expectation given transducer technology.
2x5" speakers are capable of 116 dB output at 150Hz with an excursion of 6mm. A bit on the high side for excursion of a 5" woofer, but possible, though still 9dB less output.
2x8" (like the 52 pound Ultra X40) can do 124 dB at 6mm excursion with about 1dB less output and be 10% lighter than the OP's current cabinets, which he loves.

Whether the Ultra X20 has 6, 9 or 14dB less output than the EV Qrx 112/75, I'm guessing it cost more too, what did you pay for your X20 and X40?

Art

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2021, 03:06:07 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.