ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CL5 On button LED broken  (Read 453 times)

Philip Roberts

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • South West MI
CL5 On button LED broken
« on: July 09, 2021, 12:03:43 AM »

I've got a CL5 where some of the on button LED's are broken.

A few months ago the ON led of the 1st channel quit working. The button still functions, it's just the LED indicator that doesnt work.

Now at least 4 more on buttons have quit working. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

I've found the service manual and have gotten a price of around $500 per board to fix this. Has anyone tried a component level fix, I'd rather not spend $1000 if I don't have to.

Thanks

Philip

Scott Helmke

Re: CL5 On button LED broken
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 11:07:46 AM »

A few months ago the ON led of the 1st channel quit working. The button still functions, it's just the LED indicator that doesnt work.

Now at least 4 more on buttons have quit working. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

All in the same place?  It's pretty rare for the LEDs to go bad.  Usually if there are LED problems I start looking for moisture damage.  Do you have any LEDs that glow dimly, especially when they should be off?

Ron Bolte

• Mmmmm.. ok...
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 11:42:32 AM »

I agree with Scott,
It would be weird for one LED to "go bad" even stranger for several.

Id start by reseating all of your ribbon connectors.

Philip Roberts

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • South West MI
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 03:11:12 PM »

All in the same place?  It's pretty rare for the LEDs to go bad.  Usually if there are LED problems I start looking for moisture damage.  Do you have any LEDs that glow dimly, especially when they should be off?

Channel A1 was the first one, now channels A5, A7, C1 & C4 have also stopped working.

This console is in a HoW install so I'd be hard pressed to think it's moisture damage, ...

Re-seating the ribbon connectors is a decent idea. Is there any reason to think that a hardware reset would help?

I haven't noticed any ghosting LED's but I haven't specifically checked for that.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 05:53:12 PM »

I doubt a reset would help, and probably not ribbon cables either.

You can boot into a test mode by holding down any three keys in the same section, such as A1-A3 "On", while powering up. Once in that mode you can step through different LED and button tests by pressing any key, or any group of three to move to the next section. 

Paul Smith

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 03:01:30 PM »

I've found the service manual and have gotten a price of around $500 per board to fix this. Has anyone tried a component level fix, I'd rather not spend $1000 if I don't have to.

Thanks

Philip

I have had two name displays go bad on a CL3 and managed to swap them out myself, I had to go back in after completion and reseat a ribbon cable but aside from that it went well and was not all that difficult. It took less than a day, the service manual is available online and was very intuitive. https://www.synthxl.com/offwp/Yamaha_CL_5%20_Service_Manual.pdf

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 03:01:30 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.