ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi-act events and PPE  (Read 1638 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Multi-act events and PPE
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2021, 11:02:58 AM »

Three pages of nonsense and nobody understands that it's extremely rare for the virus to get passed by contact with surfaces. We stopped the fogging and sanitizing of everything a year ago. Nobody wears masks anymore except for those who are still living in fear.
If anybody is afraid they need to bring their own equipment that they sprayed down with bleach or something... not my problem.

-Hal

Sorry, Hal... You must not work with Actor's Equity, Director's Guild of America, IATSE or Teamsters.  Maybe you live/work in a place with a 90% vaccination rate.  Where I am, it's about 43%.

Fomite transmission?  I commented on this up-thread.  It's almost unheard of in the medical world because airborne transmission is MUCH more likely. On this, we agree.

But microphones, intercom headset mics, and other things that might be reasonable expected to touch the *lips* of the user?  Those need to be disinfected between users.

I know that Pete Erskine and some of the other broadcast/TV folks were UVC-sanitizing of announcer stations, com/IFB packs and other items that get used by multiple people.  Is this needed?  Eh, probably not... but their CLIENTS think so and it makes a difference in the perception of safe practices.  Is it "sanitizing theatre" like the TSA?  Some it, yes... but it's about client and our industry perceptions.

Masks?  I'm still wearing a mask indoors when in groups of strangers - at work, a retailer, anywhere.  I'm vaccinated, but but not impervious.  Also there are still plenty of bacteria and virii that I'd like to minimize the inhalation of.  YMMV.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2021, 03:42:09 PM »

Not wanting to bring politics into this but 99% of this crap is politics and less than 1% science, with one political party wanting to keep this going forever. It's also no secret which party the entertainment industry aligns with so it should be no mystery how the unions think as well as the people in the entertainment industry itself. 

As far as I'm concerned, if I were an entertainer or talent and I was paranoid about covid, I would NEVER trust or rely on anybody other than myself or my team to sanitize anything.

But microphones, intercom headset mics, and other things that might be reasonable expected to touch the *lips* of the user?  Those need to be disinfected between users.
There I agree but sorry, I see no way to effectively do that without destroying the equipment. Even UVC. So whatever is done is "theater".

I know that Pete Erskine and some of the other broadcast/TV folks were UVC-sanitizing of announcer stations, com/IFB packs and other items that get used by multiple people.  Is this needed?  Eh, probably not... but their CLIENTS think so and it makes a difference in the perception of safe practices.  Is it "sanitizing theatre" like the TSA?  Some it, yes... but it's about client and our industry perceptions.
Maybe you live/work in a place with a 90% vaccination rate.  Where I am, it's about 43%...
Maybe if some people stopped encouraging people by not doing all this covid stuff they might take responsibility for themselves and get vaccinated (I'm not suggesting that vaccination isn't a personal choice) and maybe even see that this thing is over.

-Hal

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2021, 04:28:19 PM »

{...} Also there are still plenty of bacteria and virii that I'd like to minimize the inhalation of.  YMMV.

My impression is that ubiquitous mask-wearing has been one of the biggest overall wins for public health since hand-washing became common-place (e.g. 2020 was likely the first year in Alberta history with literally zero flu-related deaths).

In a more industry-specific way, I can think of several technical positions (A2, wardrobe, hair and makeup, stage management, etc.) where masks could continue to be mandatory long after the pandemic ends.

{..}
Maybe if some people stopped encouraging people by not doing all this covid stuff they might take responsibility for themselves and get vaccinated (I'm not suggesting that vaccination isn't a personal choice) and maybe even see that this thing is over.

I'm all for encouraging vaccination, but I think it's important to remember that fully-vaccinated people are still dying from COVID-19 (although, mercifully, in far fewer numbers) and that many people (including the ~15% of the US population under the age of 12) are unable to be vaccinated at all. "Personal responsibility" only goes so far when dealing with infectious diseases.

-Russ

Bob Stone

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2021, 06:12:52 PM »

Not wanting to bring politics into this but 99% of this crap is politics and less than 1% science, with one political party wanting to keep this going forever. It's also no secret which party the entertainment industry aligns with so it should be no mystery how the unions think as well as the people in the entertainment industry itself. 

As far as I'm concerned, if I were an entertainer or talent and I was paranoid about covid, I would NEVER trust or rely on anybody other than myself or my team to sanitize anything.
There I agree but sorry, I see no way to effectively do that without destroying the equipment. Even UVC. So whatever is done is "theater".

-Hal

People like you are just as bad as the omfg must-vax/mask folks. Don't for a second think you're on some high ground...you're on the low ground on the other side of the mountain. Be respectful of your neighbours, it's pretty simple.

Doug Jane

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2021, 06:18:01 PM »

People like you are just as bad as the omfg must-vax/mask folks. Don't for a second think you're on some high ground...you're on the low ground on the other side of the mountain. Be respectful of your neighbours, it's pretty simple.
Bob, talking from almost Covid free, New Zealand, its your attitude that is wrong. We got where we are by the whole population pulling together. Follow the science! Wear a mask! Dont be a dick!

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2021, 06:44:19 PM »

Wow! I see now where you guys are coming from. It's useless to argue with that mentality. Wear a mask??? Sorry, masks have been shown to be useless! Even Fauci says they don't do anything to stop the virus. There is NO science that shows they do!! It's all politics.

I'm done.
-Hal

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2021, 06:44:19 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.