ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Don't ever give up - I just finished the most amazing 4 days of my career  (Read 3571 times)

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound

Great work Scott!   Thanks for sharing, here's to getting many more gigs so good that these four days are long forgotten. 
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Geert Friedhof

I'm glad you had a good time, but...

- it seems like you didn't bring enough truss, so you had to put the lifts in the middle of the room.  It might just be me, but i would never have done it like that.
- pallets (audiowood?) on top of the subs. Really? I have used pallets UNDER the subs, for transport and to protect them from moisture or sand.
- two non-arrayed tops per side...
- Lighting all the same colour, changing rather randomly
- Were those 'high dollar moving heads' worth it? I can't tell.
- Was there a monitor mixer?

I have to say that if i had been one of the BE's, i wouldn't have been impressed. I would have said nothing, because of, you know, party etcetera so always ok.

BUT the complete setup screams amateur hour to me. Sorry.
I could have said nothing, but i really think it is important to point out all of the above. I like to be proven wrong.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth

- it seems like you didn't bring enough truss, so you had to put the lifts in the middle of the room.  It might just be me, but i would never have done it like that.
- pallets (audiowood?) on top of the subs. Really? I have used pallets UNDER the subs, for transport and to protect them from moisture or sand.

I have to say that if i had been one of the BE's, i wouldn't have been impressed. I would have said nothing, because of, you know, party etcetera so always ok.

I could have said nothing, but i really think it is important to point out all of the above. I like to be proven wrong.

This comes across to me as a foul sir.

That's a clean setup to put a lot in a real small room.  Most likely everyone on this site would have done things differently - from both the equipment utilized from their individual inventory to the overall approach - that's pretty much a given.

Scott poured his heart into the job and it was a very rewarding experience - the results speak for themselves - that wreaks of professional.  Flying the truss out front with fence around the stands along with trash cans was ingenious - I took a mental note of that technique as it's damned creative.

The comments and points made could have been presented differently.

"I like to be proven wrong".  I don't like it, although at times it happens and gets chalked up to learning - I much prefer to be confirmed as being right.  Here it's issued almost as a challenge.  The only thing proven here is that at times you have the innate ability to come across in a confrontational and unprofessional manner.  :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 05:18:20 PM by Steve-White »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

Damn, Geert, did you wake up on the wrong side of humanity today?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve-White

• Fort Worth

Damn, Geert, did you wake up on the wrong side of humanity today?

Particularly within the realm of the job that was bid and where it fits in the grand scheme of this business.  Regional guys, (like many of us) go out on job after job, walk in and play the hand we're dealt - which Scott did very well.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 09:52:15 PM by Steve-White »

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA

"Important"?? 

Your post screams "amateur hour".   

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC

Sure, I appreciate all feedback.  I can respond.   First a little context, this was a tiny club, on an island in the middle of Lake Erie and this was a pseudo private gig for a wedding.  The groom hired Bret, Joan, Tone Loc and the Pygmies out of his own pocket to have an incredible party for his friends.  We worked very hard with the artists folks to meet their rider within the budget constraints we were given.  A huge chunk went to backline and the lighting. 

We are a small provider and as I mentioned, 8 years ago I had two SOS rigs. 

At first they wanted us to bring line arrays and ground stack 4 side.  If we had done that we would have brought JBL STX 828's or Meyer 650R2's for the bottom.  The Muse 210's ground stacked would have been beyond awul in that small room.  Sure we could have hacked away at the EQ and tamed them but we had used the HK rig in that room before and it was always well received.  In the end, everyone signed off on the HK's.  See more detail below.

We had more truss.  If we pushed out we would have blocked the fire alleys and the path to the rest rooms.  The building is an old quonset hut.  No way to fly the truss.  What would you have done?
I am responsible for everything so yes, it was ugly, it got the tops up to where they needed to be.  Originally we started with the subs that go with the 12 box  HK rig.  They were higher.  After the first night the Pygmies BE and Bret's folks thought we needed more low end.  We had the RCF's that belonged to the Pygmies and they offered them up.  I wanted to put them up in front and work out the delays to integrate the horn loaded HK subs with the RCF's.  That was nixed as too complicated for only a few DB of gain and the potential for not being able to get the delays right to avoid pattern issues.  The RCF stack was lower and the pallet was the accepted solution to get the mains back up high enough. 
You are simply wrong with this quote.  Take a look at the HK projector system file:///C:/Users/skyki/Downloads/Projector_BDA_1.pdf 30 degree top boxes and splayed to spec.  It's an older rig however everyone that has run on the rig is not only surprised by the efficiency and SPL but how little work it takes to make it sound great. 
I don't know what to tell you I brought in Kevin Borrowman as our L1, he has worked with tons of folks you have heard of, is one of the top LD's in the region, highly sought after and never without work.  I hired him and his Hog IPA and wing.  Both Bret and Joan's LD's enjoyed working with him and I thought the lights looked great.  All of the artists teams commented on how well the programming was put together and how prepared we were.  I don't recall which audience clip I attached but if it was either Bret or Joan, it was their LD's show.  As far as the client, the guests etc. the lighting was very well received. 
Not sure how to respond to this.  They were presented and accepted to the client.  The original ask was for Vipers, that would have been a bit much.
That is an interesting question.  Originally both Bret and Joan's teams were going to use the Pygmies monitor rig, a fly rack with a Midas 1U control unit and DL32 stage box with iPad control.  I was shocked.  We brought the amps and EV QRX monitors which also were accepted as rider compliant.  When the bands arrived both of their ME's were not pleased with using the support acts monitor mixer.  We had brought an M32R with another DL32 as a backup mixer.  That was pressed into monitor duty and both ME's while not pleased with the 16 fader mixer they got through the gig and no complaints from the artist during sound check.  In fact Joan said she loves the vibe of small clubs and the stage sounded great. 

I spent a bit of time with Bob Poole and coming into this situation I have no doubt he expected a shit show.  Instead he found a competent crew, a great work environment and tireless commitment to provide a memorable experience to the client.  We were prepared, everything worked and all around we exceeded expectations. 

Doug, Tim and Steve-White, I didn't see your comments until after I put together this response, after another 14 hour day, not complaining at all I am enjoying every minute of it and your comments were incredibly kind and very meaningful coming from all of you.  Thanks!

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC

Doug, Tim and Steve-White, I didn't see your comments until after I put together this response, after another 14 hour day, not complaining at all I am enjoying every minute of it and your comments were incredibly kind and very meaningful coming from all of you.  Thanks!

I wanted to make one other comment.  As Steve said this was a private event, paid for my folks that have never bought production in their lives.  We got the gig because at 2 weeks before the 4th of July I have no idea who, but someone on the event planning side finally realized that the talent was not going to show up and "like it" utilizing the house rig.  We were the only folks crazy enough to accept the challenge and I missed on labor, boy did I under estimate labor.  We were 1/2 my labor budget when we rolled the doors shut on the trucks to head for the ferry.  I am glad I was able to hire the LD and A1 I wanted for the gig, both were still idled from their usual touring work.  It was the best decision I ever made. 

Geert Steve put it best, we are a regional shop,  we are who we are and we drank from a firehouse and learned skills that will make us better in our normal market. 

Lastly Steve, thanks for the comment on the barriers.  They were outside for crown control and there were extra's.  I was very nervous about the lifts out in the audience, it was a huge trip hazard for one thing.  We asked if we could use the extra barriers and as you said it worked out very well.  Thanks for noticing.

Last weekend we had a festival with about 3000 folks with Love and Theft as the headliner.  This week it was a two carnival stages, and a couple of privates.  We are barely into the reopening and not only working but thriving with better talent.  I could not have asked for more. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......

Nice work Scott. Ya done good.
Every picture has a "Back Story", and that's something "we" don't usually see.
A picture may be worth a thousand words, but I'd really like to hear those words before being critical of someone elses rig.
Lord knows, I've done plenty of "interesting" setups just to get the job done, customer happy, and band settled.

It helps to have a REALLY thick skin in this business.....

Keep on Rocking, and Stay Safe.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Will Knight

• Queens, NY

Scott,

The plans, decisions and execution you & your team demonstrated to bring a "last minute" concept (or demands) by the artists to fruition, ultimately gaining their acceptance within the constraints given by the provider is a testament of key characteristics (creativity & patience) of the successful professionals in this business who pursue this avenue of interest, either for fun or profit.  Kudos for an outstanding delivery.  Every outing has it's high (many) and low (few) points and as I often tell my son and grandkids, to "fail" at something is actually your "First Attempt In Learning"....Fail often, Listen, Learn, Apply, Grow (Rinse & Repeat).
You can and should be proud of what was accomplished but more importantly, the beneficial impact (references, future bookings, reputation et al) this "small" event will have on your business.
Congrats! Fantastic Job!

Will
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Don't ever give up - I just finished the most amazing 4 days of my career
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2021, 09:25:13 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.