ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey IPR chaining  (Read 1114 times)

W. Mark Hellinger

Peavey IPR chaining
« on: July 10, 2021, 10:38:48 PM »

I have a couple Peavey IPR 3000 series 1 amplifiers and I'd like to use the "parallel" 1/4" TRS jacks to chain from one to the other.  That seemed straight-forward enough to me, except I read the operator's manual first.  I first dove for the operator's manual to confirm the 1/4" "Thur/Out Jacks" are indeed TRS balance... I figured they probably are.  Only later I noticed it's spelled out on the back of the amplifier those "Thru/Out Jacks" are TRS balanced.  My questioning and confusion comes from reading the operator's manual... my 10 year old operator's manual.  Page 19, paragraph 11 explains, first sentence:  "This 1/4" jack supplies parallel output signals from the associated channel for patching to this amplifier and/or additional power amplifier inputs."  Great, that's exactly what I want to do.  But then the second sentence sez:  "The Thru/Out jack is affected by the position of the associated Channel Mode switch."  Ok, well the "Channel Mode switch" is an on-board 100Hz crossover with 3 positions:  Low Pass, Full Range, or High Pass.  I intend to operate the first amplifier in High Pass mode, and the second/jumped-to amplifier in Low Pass mode.  So are the Parallel 1/4" TRS Thru/Out Jacks not really parallel with the XLR inputs and thus indeed are affected by the mode switch, or is the word "affected" a typo in the manual, and should have been "unaffected"?  I've looked through the Peavey on-line manual archive and can't find... doesn't seem to be the manual for the first series IPR's... only IPR's 2's and the IPR 2's manual doesn't seem to say anything about the parallel jacks being affected or unaffected... it's like that sentence was removed.  I suppose I could do a test and figure it out for myself... but that would mean getting out of my comfortable chair... hook some stuff up... probably be dinner time other mission creep before finishing.  Thus: Asking if anyone here knows one way or the other?

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
Re: Peavey IPR chaining
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 11:46:00 PM »

Hi Mark,

My 2012 .pdf of the IPR series-1 amplifiers reads as your printed manual, that
the channels are affected by the switch position.
Now I'm a bit curious and might have to pull my IPR-3000-series-1 out and test.
Mine is the non-DSP version, and I'm wondering if it's the same for both the analog and DSP versions?
Let me know if you want me to send you the pdf.

I've used the IPR3000 bridged in to a single 8-ohm sub and it did fine for modest volume reinforcement.
Sure is light, and has held up fine.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 12:58:00 AM »

Hi Mark,

My 2012 .pdf of the IPR series-1 amplifiers reads as your printed manual, that
the channels are affected by the switch position.
Now I'm a bit curious and might have to pull my IPR-3000-series-1 out and test.
Mine is the non-DSP version, and I'm wondering if it's the same for both the analog and DSP versions?
Mine are also all the non-DSP versions.

Let me know if you want me to send you the pdf.

I've used the IPR3000 bridged in to a single 8-ohm sub and it did fine for modest volume reinforcement.
Sure is light, and has held up fine.

Thanks for the offer on the pdf, and "sure", it would be great to have a possibly newer version of the operator's manual.  I don't really know how old the operator's manual is that I referenced today... it could date back to about 2009... I think that's about the time I bought my first IPR's.

I have 27ea. IPR's, if I counted correctly,  Probably 1/2 or more I've been doing shows for >10 years... and I haven't had a problem with any of them except my screw story below.  I have one that's rather interesting... as I recall it's an IPR-1600, but it's a factory built single channel IPR-1600... built for some brand of jukebox... I bought it on eBay a number of years ago and put it to duty as the amplifier for our town's carillon bell... which is a self sponsored volunteer project of mine.  Anyhoo:  That amp's been chugging away generally 24-7-365 for the past few years, in a semi weather protected shelf in the town's bell tower, but it's subjected to whatever outside ambient temp, humidity, dirt/dust, and occasional bird poo.  The Dell tower running XP been doing the same.  Every so often when we have a power outage I gotta go kick start the computer.

One maintenance thing I've recently discovered about the IPR:  Check the screws every so often.  I had a power switch "push in" on me, and come to find-out both screws that hold the power switch PC board in-place had come completely unscrewed.  Good chance "lots of vibration" had something to do with it.  There's a #10(?) torx head screw for that power switch PC board on the left side of the chassis, and a second #1(?) phillips head screw behind the illuminated Peavey logo.  I checked all my other IPR's and all those power switch PC board screws, as well as many of the cover screws were loose on literally every amp... some completely unscrewed, some of which had fallen out and the screw gnomes got them.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 01:04:43 AM by W. Mark Hellinger »

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 10:07:41 AM »

I have a couple Peavey IPR 3000 series 1 amplifiers and I'd like to use the "parallel" 1/4" TRS jacks to chain from one to the other.  That seemed straight-forward enough to me, except I read the operator's manual first.  I first dove for the operator's manual to confirm the 1/4" "Thur/Out Jacks" are indeed TRS balance... I figured they probably are.  Only later I noticed it's spelled out on the back of the amplifier those "Thru/Out Jacks" are TRS balanced.  My questioning and confusion comes from reading the operator's manual... my 10 year old operator's manual.  Page 19, paragraph 11 explains, first sentence:  "This 1/4" jack supplies parallel output signals from the associated channel for patching to this amplifier and/or additional power amplifier inputs."  Great, that's exactly what I want to do.  But then the second sentence sez:  "The Thru/Out jack is affected by the position of the associated Channel Mode switch."  Ok, well the "Channel Mode switch" is an on-board 100Hz crossover with 3 positions:  Low Pass, Full Range, or High Pass.  I intend to operate the first amplifier in High Pass mode, and the second/jumped-to amplifier in Low Pass mode.  So are the Parallel 1/4" TRS Thru/Out Jacks not really parallel with the XLR inputs and thus indeed are affected by the mode switch, or is the word "affected" a typo in the manual, and should have been "unaffected"?  I've looked through the Peavey on-line manual archive and can't find... doesn't seem to be the manual for the first series IPR's... only IPR's 2's and the IPR 2's manual doesn't seem to say anything about the parallel jacks being affected or unaffected... it's like that sentence was removed.  I suppose I could do a test and figure it out for myself... but that would mean getting out of my comfortable chair... hook some stuff up... probably be dinner time other mission creep before finishing.  Thus: Asking if anyone here knows one way or the other?
That amplifier is after my time but in general with Peavey products try the logical hook up connection and see if it works.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 10:32:30 AM »

Hi Mark,

Here's the IPR pdf:
 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p2hi_WVkRbFjh2T7VzKc7I3681RHwCrx/view?usp=sharing

I've never seen a factory-built mono IPR. 
I've bridged mine to a single, 8 ohm sub multiple times.
Thanks for the heads-up on the screws, I'll check mine.
At least the screws weren't over-tightened    : -)
Blue LockTite might be in order.

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 08:32:15 PM »

That amplifier is after my time but in general with Peavey products try the logical hook up connection and see if it works.

JR

Update:  I've finished assembling the rack, including chaining the amps per the logical hook-up, and tested, and it seems the parallel put-through is unaffected by the mode switch setting.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2021, 12:39:04 AM »

Update:  I've finished assembling the rack, including chaining the amps per the logical hook-up, and tested, and it seems the parallel put-through is unaffected by the mode switch setting.
As i recall most Peavey gear is designed to work despite the typical customers...

I'm sure you are fine..

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2021, 12:39:04 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.