ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wifi AP for mixer remote control - EnGenius or Ubiquiti  (Read 1888 times)

Tiago de Sousa

Wifi AP for mixer remote control - EnGenius or Ubiquiti
« on: July 04, 2021, 10:29:14 AM »

Hello,
I need to buy a new Access Point or Router for console remote control.

I want to buy something that is able to maintain a stable connection , with a good range and easy of transport and placement on gigs.

I was checking current products and reading here in the forum and I reduced the options down to these units:

- EnGenius ENS500EXT-AC

- Ubiquiti Unifi AC LR

- Access Point Ubiquiti Rocket M5 AirMAX 5 GHz

I would prefer an unit that can connect directly to the consoles without the need for a switch or multi-router, having DHCP is an advantage also since it works great for me 98% of the times, being easy to do the software setup is also a big advantage.

For what I've understand, please correct me if I'm wrong, people say that the EnGenius unit software is more user friendly than Ubiquit and easier to setup.

Also I would like to confirm if I can use DHCP with the EnGenius unit? it seems both Ubiquiti products don't have a DHCP server

I don't dislike the Ubiquiti Unifi AC LR, but it's disc shaped made for physically setup in a ceiling and I have some trouble understanding in a Live Sound context how should I physically place that unit and there's no ceiling to attach it to.

What are you opinions and advises on this subjects?
Any EnGenius and Unifi user around here?

Thank you so much for your input
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 10:42:24 AM by Tiago de Sousa »

Joris Jans2

• Vester Theater Techniek
Re: Wifi AP for mixer remote control - EnGenius or Ubiquiti
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 12:38:56 PM »

Having DHCP eleminates the Ubiquity, since they don't have DHCP servers in their Access Points.

i own a couple Ubiquity AC-M units which serve me very well in FOH duties. setting up a static IP is easy and after that it works flawless. no need for router or switch in my case.

The rocket M5 is really old stuff in therms of Wifi, especially with Wifi6 already around the corner. i wouldn't go that route.

Thomas Le

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 04:00:27 PM »

My mobile setup consists of an old dumb linksys router that has DDWRT on it that serves as DHCP, connected to a UAP AC M mounted on a mic stand using the butterfly mic clips. Easy to setup and portable. In the future I would like to "upgrade" the linksys router to an edgerouter X.

Tiago de Sousa

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 06:27:54 PM »

Thank you so much Joris Jans2 and Thomas Le for your replies.

It seems both you guys use the UAP-AC-M units, it also seems like a good option and it's cheaper than the EnGenius.

Could you guys please take some photos of your setup and how you mount them when you have a gig?

Thank you so much
best regards

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 07:12:23 PM »

Thank you so much Joris Jans2 and Thomas Le for your replies.

It seems both you guys use the UAP-AC-M units, it also seems like a good option and it's cheaper than the EnGenius.

Could you guys please take some photos of your setup and how you mount them when you have a gig?

Thank you so much
best regards

I think you're making this a bit harder than it should be.  Assign a static IP to whatever you wish to control. Use default subnet for your AP, buy a quality AP, and maybe an antenna upgrade.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Tiago de Sousa

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 07:36:47 PM »

I think you're making this a bit harder than it should be.  Assign a static IP to whatever you wish to control. Use default subnet for your AP, buy a quality AP, and maybe an antenna upgrade.

Hi Doug do you have anything to add on the choices between the EnGenius ENS500EXT-AC or Ubiquiti Unifi AC LR?
this thread is related to that as I wrote in the first post.

I will add the Ubitquiti UAP AC M in my options also as I checked the unit and it seems a good option also.

I will buy one of these 3 units for sure, I would like to know fellow members opinions and experience using these units
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 04:42:13 AM by Tiago de Sousa »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 09:29:23 PM »

I have, and use, the Engenius (or it's immediate predecessor) 5gHz AP.  All I did was use the quick start guide and logged into the AP, set a pass word, hit "save" and rebooted it.  That was several years ago and it's all I can recall about the process so it must have been bog-simple.

The Ubiquiti APs I use at home were far more involved (although far more capable, as well).  I had to buy beer for a network-tech buddy of mine to make the my pain go away.  it will do DHCP for each of the SSIDs you set up.

I do not typically use DHCP when controlling a mixer - there are at most only a few IP addresses involved.  Keep your static IP addresses below xxx.xxx.100 and you're golden, even if you later add DHCP.

BTW, Mr Fowler has been networking data for a long time; audio equipment networking is just his most recent.  He offers good advice.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tiago de Sousa

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 04:53:49 AM »

I have, and use, the Engenius (or it's immediate predecessor) 5gHz AP.  All I did was use the quick start guide and logged into the AP, set a pass word, hit "save" and rebooted it.  That was several years ago and it's all I can recall about the process so it must have been bog-simple.

Thank you Tim, that’s great to know.
How do you find it’s coverage?

The Ubiquiti APs I use at home were far more involved (although far more capable, as well).

What units do you use? Any of those disc shaped Unifi units?

I do not typically use DHCP when controlling a mixer - there are at most only a few IP addresses involved.  Keep your static IP addresses below xxx.xxx.100 and you're golden, even if you later add DHCP.
[/quote]

I can use static IPs no problem but DHCP is more practical and always worked very well for me, specially it’s easier when I give control access to a musician and there no need to setup a static IP on his device, DHCP is just automatic and faster.
Also all the consoles I use work great with DHCP with the exception of Digoco SD consoles for which I will setup static IP.

I didn’t know that it was better to keep IPs under .100 , why is that?

Thank you so much

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2021, 01:26:28 PM »

Thank you Tim, that’s great to know.
How do you find it’s coverage?

What units do you use? Any of those disc shaped Unifi units?

I can use static IPs no problem but DHCP is more practical and always worked very well for me, specially it’s easier when I give control access to a musician and there no need to setup a static IP on his device, DHCP is just automatic and faster.
Also all the consoles I use work great with DHCP with the exception of Digoco SD consoles for which I will setup static IP.

I didn’t know that it was better to keep IPs under .100 , why is that?

Thank you so much

Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR-US are the APs I'm using at home.

*Most* DHCP servers built into access points start their IP address pool at xxx.xxx.100 or .101 (you can change this in the config, too).  If your static addresses are below this you're unlikely to ever have an IP address conflict.  The JBL/Harman webinar (on YT) on Performance Manager gets into why and how using static IP addresses can make things easier to troubleshoot and plan.  Suggested viewing.

Coverage for *any* access point is determined by how well the AP can receive a usable signal from the portable device.  It's easy for an AP to send to a device if it's up high, but using a phone or tablet at waist height, in a crowd of standing people, the RF will be attenuated (and typically it's a fraction of the RF level of the AP to start with).  IOW, your device will "see" the AP, but that is not a guarantee the AP will "see" your device reliably or consistently at show time.  My line of sight experience with the EnGenius has been 30 - 50 metres with the AP on a tall speaker stand, depending on other factors.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tiago de Sousa

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2021, 04:31:14 PM »

Thanks Tim,
I will check and see the suggested JBL video.

I can buy here the Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR for half the price of the EnGenius ENS500EXT-AC,
that is something important to consider.

Any reason why you choose the EnGenius over the Ubiquiti for Live Sound work but the oposite at home?

Thank you

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2021, 04:31:14 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.