ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Heavy duty power-strips (w/circuit-breakers)??  (Read 4544 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Heavy duty power-strips (w/circuit-breakers)??
« on: July 03, 2021, 10:13:27 PM »

Did a search on the forum, but didn't find what I was needing.  There are a lot of posts related to "power strips, but I didn't see anything related to heavy-duty.

Is anyone using actual heavy duty (physical construction) power-strips?  Meaning, the case of the power-strips is metal, or heavy PVC... something that if dropped, it doesn't break, or if stepped on, it doesn't collapse.  I'm looking for something in all black.  Amazon shows "heavy duty" power-strips, but the color on these strips appears to be always yellow.  As well, I can't tell the construction quality looking at pictures.  From the pictures I have seen, I may be looking at quality products (via Amazon or Google), but can't tell from the picture.

I'm needing 15amp/120V (w/breaker if possible).  These would be occasionally used onstage as power sources for bands to plug their gear into.

Anyone using heavy-duty power strips?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 10:15:49 PM by Bob Faulkner »

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: Heavy duty power-strips (w/circuit-breakers)??
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 12:31:21 AM »

Did a search on the forum, but didn't find what I was needing.  There are a lot of posts related to "power strips, but I didn't see anything related to heavy-duty.

Is anyone using actual heavy duty (physical construction) power-strips?  Meaning, the case of the power-strips is metal, or heavy PVC... something that if dropped, it doesn't break, or if stepped on, it doesn't collapse.  I'm looking for something in all black.  Amazon shows "heavy duty" power-strips, but the color on these strips appears to be always yellow.  As well, I can't tell the construction quality looking at pictures.  From the pictures I have seen, I may be looking at quality products (via Amazon or Google), but can't tell from the picture.

I'm needing 15amp/120V (w/breaker if possible).  These would be occasionally used onstage as power sources for bands to plug their gear into.

OA Windsor?
I don't have any, but they are spoken of very well.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 03:58:03 AM »

To get the really rugged stuff that's stage worthy, you need to be wiling to drop lost of cash.  What's the usage scenario?
Brian Jojade

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 08:23:07 AM »

OA Windsor?
I don't have any, but they are spoken of very well.
Chris.

I have 2 stringers from OA Windsor.  They are the best I've ever used (top quality).

Not sure if he does power-strips... I had not considered him for that.  Thanks for the suggestion.

To get the really rugged stuff that's stage worthy, you need to be wiling to drop lost of cash.  What's the usage scenario?

Looking for something more rugged than what is commonly available.  They would be used mostly for outdoor shows where precipitation is anticipated.  The breaker would (hopefully) trip at the power-strip instead of the PDU breaker or load-center breaker (depending on the setup).  Also, they would be used for smaller stage/performance areas where my stringers would be too much; it would be easier and take up less space running an extension cord with a power-strip at the end of it.

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 08:47:56 AM »

These are used by many of the big audio companies: https://www.motionlabs.com/products/auxiliary-power-distribution/

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 09:25:55 AM »

Your post peaked my interest so I rummaged through my storage area's "lost and still lost" corner.  (This is the area where I put projects that were started...but never completed - lol.)
Back about 15 years ago I picked up two of these ($5 each) from my local craigslist.  It is a 1RU distro with two sides, each with their own 20amp breaker feeding four edisons.
Both sides came with 20amp locking males.  I swapped-out one side to a 5-20p, tested the unit and put it in the "lost" corner as I never had a need to complete it.
(I had envisioned having a carpenter-friend-of-mine build a tight-little box/rack for it...)

Steve Crump

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2021, 12:34:41 PM »

Along the class of the Tripplite there's also Furman:  https://www.furmanpower.com/compact-power-120v/

Steve Crump

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2021, 02:58:27 PM »

Bob are you looking for filtering/conditioning or just straight through power?

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2021, 03:25:27 PM »

No distro up-stream?  If you're in a distro it's already breakered.  You could buy/build quad boxes from there.

I have a couple of these.  Seem heavy duty enough.

Amazon Basics Heavy Duty Metal Surge Protector Power Strip with Mounting Brackets - 12-Outlet, 600-Joule (15A On/Off Circuit Breaker)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SG689YS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_46ZVAD97YR9J9TQ7R0E3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 03:30:34 PM by Doug Fowler »
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2021, 03:25:27 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 19 queries.