ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sm80F Flown thoughts?  (Read 1490 times)

Douglas R. Allen

Sm80F Flown thoughts?
« on: June 30, 2021, 09:41:10 AM »

Just a Facebook picture I came across. Sort of looks like a SM80F flown by one hook?  I'd want a little more than that. Even the Mobil stage setup looks a little weak? The Sm80F is around 215lbs. Not over the top heavy but there is a fair amount of weight up there. Or is this fine? People can easily walk under it.

Douglas R. Allen

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Sm80F Flown thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 10:01:12 AM »

It looks like they do things the hard way (chains) and I'm not happy with the lack of stays or guys on the speakers.  There may be other issues but those grabbed my eyes right away.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Robert Healey

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 10:56:03 AM »

Just a Facebook picture I came across. Sort of looks like a SM80F flown by one hook?  I'd want a little more than that. Even the Mobil stage setup looks a little weak? The Sm80F is around 215lbs. Not over the top heavy but there is a fair amount of weight up there. Or is this fine? People can easily walk under it.

Douglas R. Allen

Terrifying rigging... I see open eyehooks, incorrectly oriented eyebolts, potential for huge dynamic loads from the speaker swinging around, and I would hazard to guess that the truss and the frame isn't rated for the moment (twisting) from having the support point off axis from the load.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 04:58:08 PM »

The truss where the speakers are hanging from does not look like it's made to support a hanging load.  The "X" (where the speakers are hanging from), looks like it's used to tie truss sections together.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 05:13:11 PM »

No guys on the stage either, in a wind gust that thing would twist and easily collapse.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 05:23:57 PM »

No guys on the stage either, in a wind gust that thing would twist and easily collapse.

Hydraulic mobile stages like this don't need guylines.

In general they have a far higher wind rating then aluminum truss roofs with guylines.

That said, I am not speaking for this roof in particular.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 05:45:59 PM »

The truss where the speakers are hanging from does not look like it's made to support a hanging load.  The "X" (where the speakers are hanging from), looks like it's used to tie truss sections together.

My guess is the X accommodates up/down points for a line array.  Or not.

In any case I would get a fly bar welded for that loudspeaker. We just covered that in another thread.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

John Schalk

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2021, 10:32:42 AM »

It could be a coincidence, but that exact system is for sale right now on FB in the Everything USED Stage, Sound, Lighting & Video for Sale or Swap group.  The seller's location is Melbourne, FL.

I like the idea of the SM80F, but my back hurts just thinking about moving a 200lb speaker around these days!

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2021, 01:54:34 PM »

I see what appears to be a single guy wire from the back center of each box to an off stage ground point. That and the swagged chains appear to be the only things countering any twist. This kind of “rigging” makes everyone’s insurance more expensive.

It looks like they do things the hard way (chains) and I'm not happy with the lack of stays or guys on the speakers.  There may be other issues but those grabbed my eyes right away.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2021, 01:54:34 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.