ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Trailer size  (Read 8123 times)

Jonathan Hole

• Sound Resume
Re: Trailer size
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2021, 08:23:45 PM »

I currently have a 6x10 single axle V-nose but considering going to 6x12 tandem as everything is in road cases incl monitors, amp rack, wireless/stage rack, and two large road cases for power and cables.... and with the full rig we are pushing the weight limit.  I have e-track throughout of course but the V-nose has vertical track on the sides so that with (3) 2x4 cross bars I use the V-nose to hold my mic stand bags, 3 lighting stands (no trusses), 2 speaker stands, tent in case, FOH table.  Really wish I'd gone tandem to start as about to double our subs and will probably put us over.  I tow with Jeep Grand Cherokee with V8 and tows like a dream, reason went with 6 ft wide is can easily see down sides and matches JGC width.  Usually I put the main and backup SQ console in back of the Jeep as I just feel better with it there and not bouncing around, but sometimes they travel in the trailer.  My trailer storage is at the same climate storage facility and if next gig is within 2 weeks I leave most in trailer but Danley tops, mic case, SQ mixer(s) go in storage which is 50 ft away.  Hope that helps!

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2021, 10:23:04 PM »

Before getting a trailer, make serious considerations on the pros and cons of using said trailer.

The bigger you go with the trailer, the more careful you need to be about having enough vehicle to pull it, as well as making sure you load the trailer properly.  An improperly loaded trailer can become EXTREMELY dangerous on the road.

You also then need to think about the logistics of where that trailer can travel. Taller trailers are nice, but do add wind drag and may have issues getting into certain garages.

The final decision of ramp vs doors needs to be considered as well.  While the back ramp can be super convenient, it can backfire when you are in a tight space or a loading dock where you can't drop the door properly.

I used to trailer gear, but have switched away from that completely.  It's either what fits in a van, or we move up to box truck territory.  Shows get priced accordingly.
Brian Jojade

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2021, 11:20:46 PM »

Hi Dan, here are a few thoughts of mine:

Van/Truck vs. Trailer
I've always been a van and truck guy.  Vans go out to the smaller jobs and I'll rent 16' or 24' box trucks for the larger occasional work.  A lot of this is situational and personal preference.  If you're playing simple jobs in the city park it might not be a big deal pulling a trailer around.  I work the Jacksonville/Daytona/Orlando/Miami areas (basically the east coast of Florida), and I'll tell you that pulling or backing a trailer in Miami Beach is no picnic.  Not that driving a truck is much better, but if I need to 3-point U-turn in an intersections it's much easier to do that in a truck. 

Loading docks are another point.  If you find yourself working theaters/stadiums/arenas with loading docks it's nice to have something at dock level.  At least with a van you can ramp-up into the dock, whereas most trailers are too low to easily do this.  Trailers often require separate registration and insurance as well, so be sure to factor that against the cost of truck rental.

The only time I pull a trailer is when towing my 62HP tractor to a job to utilize its forklift...something I get to do in a few days (oh joy...).

Sizing a Trailer (or van/truck for that matter)
For sizing anything I've found it helps to draw out a floor plan of sorts ahead of time to see which option gets you the most bang to buck.  "Truck pack" cases do this for you automatically so long as you're driving a standard truck or equally-sized trailer (give or take a few inches as there are a few different dimensions of truck pack), but it's no fun to realize you can't haul the rig you hoped for because you're 3 inches too short.  As others have already mentioned you can fit a surprising amount of equipment in a standard utility van.  When the time comes for something bigger I'd be going to a 16' or 24' box truck - no trailer.

Working Smarter and not Harder
This is where vans can really shine, and I know a few people here who have seen what I've done with mine.  I've more or less built mine out to maximize capacity and versatility.  I've built racks to hold cable ramps over one wheel well, a folding ramp goes over the other.  Cables and mic stands fit along the sides, and I've bolted a winch to the front bulkhead to pull heavy cases up the ramp and into the van.  None of this eats into the clear storage area either, so it's ready to accept cases, speakers, and subwoofers too.  A drop-down ladder rack on the roof can hold ladders or small amounts of box truss.

Good luck and hope this helps!

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2021, 08:57:28 AM »

Something to keep in mind if choosing a larger trailer over a smaller one (thinking that it would be better to have that "slightly larger" trailer).  The larger the trailer is, the less weight you will be able to (safely) carry.  The weight limit is mostly due to the limits of the axle(s).  Larger trailers weigh more, therefore, the less payload weight you can carry.  If you need a lot of weight capacity and room, you will need to consider upgraded axles, or more axles.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2021, 10:32:14 AM »

Back when we were still active in the local/regional biz, we started with trailers and thought they were the best way to go. We had 5x10, 6x12, and 6x14TA. But the truth of the matter is, when doing smaller gigs (bars, clubs, small theaters, small festivals) a vehicle + trailer is more often than not a PITA to deal with.

After much debate, we bought a Ford E250 Transit MR, 148" WB with the Ecoboost and heavy duty hauling/trailer package. And wow - it was a life changer. We fit it with an aluminum foldout ramp (36" wide, 96" long) and never looked back. Sold all but one of the trailers (we'd haul staging in it when needed). But otherwise, we could fit everything for a small festival (4x C218Pro subs, 2x RCF TT6A, wedges, racks, truss, etc) and never worried about a thing. That Ecoboost is amazing - even when we had the van full of gear and the trailer full of stage deck, it would cruise effortlessly down the highway. Best investment ever was moving to the van with ramp. Load-in/Load-out went so much more quickly. Parking was never an issue and it looked better at the venue/event.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2021, 02:36:21 PM »

What size is everyone using?

When my tow vehicle was an E350 Van (passenger model, with bench seats pulled), I hauled a 5'x10' V-nose Ramp Door Trailer that was no taller than said van. Helpful hint: slice a "fun noodle" longitudinally and place over the door head, to lessen concussions.

I just sold that trailer as my tow vehicle is now a Medium Roof T350 Van (again, passenger model, with most seats pulled). I am currently waiting for the supply chain to improve, as the asking prices for new 7'x14' (or 16') Tandem Axle tall trailers have risen nearly $2,000 US during the pandemic. Anyway, the new one will again have a Ramp Door and will be tall enough at the opening to render the fun noodle unnecessary.

The Transit line doesn't have the same towing capacity as the old Econolines, so I will have to keep Trailer and Cargo under 4,300 pounds. For smaller gigs, I am able to get all gear onboard the T350 and leave the trailer parked.

An interesting side note I discovered when having a hitch mounted; many of today's vehicles have LED taillights and correspondingly lighter gauge wiring. New, heavier gauge wiring had to be strung the full length of the vehicle on my install.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2021, 05:40:29 PM »

I've built racks to hold cable ramps over one wheel well, a folding ramp goes over the other.
Hi Jeff, are you willing to share any photos of your cable ramp rack? 
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2021, 06:00:47 PM »

I would highly recommend tandem axle trailers.  The gear seems to ride better.  Also I would not (and have not) purchased a trailer that doesn't have the "torflex" type axles.  Several companies make these type rubber torsion tube suspension axles. They provide independent axle movement and ride closer to what air ride is like on larger trailers.  If you buy a van, get it with the trailer towing package even if you think you will never use it.  Better engine and transmission cooling, a trailer brake controller, and pre wired with the heavy gauge trailer wiring and connector.

Steve Crump

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2021, 11:22:52 AM »

(2) 6x10 single axles, one with gear, one with distro and small stage. Even in my area, which is not congested, it still is a PITA for some events because of parking and/or access. I can't justify the expense of a van at this point because I am a part-timer, so trailers it will be for now.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2021, 03:19:37 PM »

P.S. For the record, many single axle trailers in the <3000# class ship with 13" Load Range C Bias Ply Tires. I highly recommend saving those as spares and replacing with Load Range D radials.
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2021, 03:19:37 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.