ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Avid just changed the game...  (Read 2999 times)

Miguel Dahl

Re: Avid just changed the game...
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2021, 07:20:31 AM »

I went through this when Tracks Live stoppet working on my Mac.
Reaper failed on my most basic test for recording software, download,  install, record in  less than 5 mins.
Pro Tools delivered, but at the time  it didn't have enough tracks available.
I ended up with Nuendo Live.
Might revisit PT now, I like their user interface better.

What happened since you were unable to download, install and record in less than five minutes?

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2021, 09:26:30 AM »

What happened since you were unable to download, install and record in less than five minutes?
Letís just say me and the Reaper GUI isnít friends.

Brian Bolly

• Homeward Bound
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2021, 10:33:26 AM »

Adding the PT skin to Reaper helped me immensely.  I had to play with resolution a little bit depending on whether I was on my laptop or an external monitor, but it made it feel more "at home" after using PT for so many years.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • back home in Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2021, 01:19:11 PM »

This is how I feel also.

The Reaper GUI is trash. it's too cluttered and dark and the layout is just confusing.

I don't want to spend hours downloading and customizing skins to make something look like Protools, when I could just use Protools.

The one non Protools DAW that I was always most intrigued by was Ardour, but that was back during my Linux days and I pretty much gave up n trying to get a Linux based recording platform working. (Yes I know Ardour was the base framework for Waves Tracks Live and Harrison Mix Bus).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 01:21:52 PM by Justice C. Bigler »
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2021, 02:15:08 PM »

{...}
The one non Protools DAW that I was always most intrigued by was Ardour, but that was back during my Linux days and I pretty much gave up n trying to get a Linux based recording platform working. (Yes I know Ardour was the base framework for Waves Tracks Live and Harrison Mix Bus).

FWIW (I'm no recording expert), I've been very happy with Mixbus. I like that it's triple-platform (so I can use whichever OS is currently being screwed around with the least), and that the session files are human-readable and largely backwards-compatible with Ardour (so the vendor lock-in is pretty weak).

As for Linux as a recording platform, it's definitely still a little more roll-your-own than a lot of people are comfortable with, but progress continues. There's at least one Dante PCIe card that has ALSA drivers, but perhaps the more exciting news is that someone recently wrote an open-source controller for the Ravenna AES67 driver.

-Russ

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2021, 11:58:47 PM »

HOWEVER...  As a very long term Reaper user you hit a nerve with your statement above, so I apologize if this comes across as a personal attack as it's not intended that way. But...  This wide spread, pervasive claim that Reaper is "free" or "essentially free" or whatever is patently false. Cockos doesn't cripple the program when you finish your 60 day trial evaluation period like most software makers do. Instead they rely on you to purchase a [ludicrously inexpensive] license if you continue to use it as continuing to "evaluate" the program indefinitely is just plain dishonest and they're counting on people to not abuse their kindness. This kind of "user first" policy is that rarest of rare unicorns in the software world, and it deserves to be respected and supported.

So PLEASE. To whomever may read this. If you try Reaper for 60 days and you want to continue to use it thereafter PLEASE do the right thing and buy the dang license. The guys that built and continue to update/upgrade this amazing piece of software have bills to pay just like you do. They just don't want to cripple the tool you need to use just to pry more money from you [like most of their competitors do]. They deserve your support!

No argument here, I agree fully. I am not trying to persuade anyone to use it as a Free-Ware, but use that analogy as the driving point that it costs you nothing to try it and pretty much next to nothing in order to own it for non-commercial reasons. It doesn't hurt to try, you might say, and it certainly doesn't hurt to pay $60 ( if you fall into that class of user ) to keep a full-fledged version. Even as another DAW to experiment with. As mentioned before the GUI is hardly a reason to hate it, the skin options are pretty much endless. They do have a lighter version as a standard option in the options menu and there is also a theme adjuster to change the color of it to anything you would like. 
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2021, 03:06:14 PM »

{...} As mentioned before the GUI is hardly a reason to hate it, the skin options are pretty much endless. They do have a lighter version as a standard option in the options menu and there is also a theme adjuster to change the color of it to anything you would like.

I think there are two ways to judge a piece of software (or, for that matter, any tool): "what is this?", and "what can I make of this?".

There are lots of people (myself included) who are naturally drawn to the latter question. We like the idea of powerful but inexpensive tools that, through time and patience, can have their rough edges smoothed off and, ultimately, be tweaked to our liking, and there's nothing wrong with this approach.

However, as time goes on, I've started to realize the benefit of the other view. Sometimes I really just need to do the thing (whatever that thing might be), and I don't want to spend an hour reading the manual or playing with themes before I can start. More and more often, especially with software, pure functionality is often very cheap (or even free), but "ready to use" can cost a fortune.

-Russ

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2021, 10:24:52 PM »

maybe things have changed with PT since I had it ( 6.2.4 or whatever it was when they dropped the Digi-02? ), but when I went to Reaper it was seamless. Reaper was certainly not nearly as good looking as it is now.

I guess I am agnostic when it comes to programs/software. I like the ones I like because I like them, but in most cases, I don't get to be too choosey about which one I run with. I have to design systems with D&B, L'Acoustics, QSC ( god help me ), JBL, and Martin pretty often. I use the prediction software that they each provide. Not all of them are created equal and some are certainly more cumbersome to use than others. L'Acoustics is one that is sort of not fun to use. Building a venue from scratch in Soundvision is almost maddening. Not being able to combine the coverage of the subs and the mains in one window is also a downer. It also doesn't allow predictions for non-standard setups. A ground stacked array for instance has no support in Soundvision. Single point hangs are also not supported for the optimization and FIR EQ predictions; so you have to get creative.

Each software has its thing. RCF's prediction software is probably the worst there is, but it gets you somewhere better than guessing. I will be honest in saying that QSC's EASE FOCUS 3 is probably the easiest to use for me, it just makes sense. It is just not the best prediction software though. It is close, but I often find I have to play god. I don't fight the things I can't win, I just roll with it. I don't mind paying either, but it better bring the beans. 

I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • back home in Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2021, 11:44:14 PM »

maybe things have changed with PT since I had it ( 6.2.4 or whatever it was when they dropped the Digi-02? )
Avid stopped supporting the Digi-002 in March of 2013, and the last supported version of Protools that it worked with was 8.05.

But guys had the 002 running on Windows 10 and Protools 12 using the Digi-003 drivers.

Of course that was on Windows. I'm sure that Apple did something to break the 002 line way before that on Mac OSX-whatever.

Somewhere I still have my original MBox. But I don't miss it at all. I have many more interfaces that are way better now.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Daniel RŲsen

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2021, 10:17:34 AM »

Up to now, Protools software has had an arbitrary limit on the number of channels that you can record at the same time. It was 32 channels for many years for the regular version of Protools, what we call Protools vanilla, and which used to be Protools LE.

Actually it was (and most probably still is - can't verify as I have let my update subscription expire) much worse. It was NOT like you could chose ANY 32 I/O of your hardware to work with... you got only access to the FIRST 32 I/O your ASIO device reports to Pro Tools via the ASIO driver.

So you have e.g. your shiny RME UFX+ which has some 94 Inputs (8x Line, 4x Mic, 16x ADAT, 2x AES/SPDIF, 64x MADI), but you could never record from (or playback to) any but the first two MADI channels (MADI channels are last in the ASIO list). I'm pretty sure the change just "loosens the handcuffs a little" as someone here commented spot-on, and now I'll get to access MADI channels 1-34 only. I couldn't record/playback full MADI lineup of 64ch, unless using a dedicated MADIface USB which has onlyMADI, thus reports 64 channels via the driver.

The Cubase crossgrade is already bought, need to find time...

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #39 on: July 19, 2021, 10:17:34 AM ¬Ľ

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 23 queries.