ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: SRX 728s  (Read 2648 times)

Bob Kidd

SRX 728s
« on: June 26, 2021, 10:47:39 PM »

So was looking at adding to additional system with SRX 828s when I came across company having brand new 728s (assuming got some directly from JBL), my main system is the 700 series and love it. Powered 828s or go back to 728s, tough call.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: SRX 728s
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 10:54:53 PM »

So was looking at adding to additional system with SRX 828s when I came across company having brand new 728s (assuming got some directly from JBL), my main system is the 700 series and love it. Powered 828s or go back to 728s, tough call.

I would go 728’s because you won’t have issues when the amp module dies in 6 years.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

JeffreyHague

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 09:57:32 AM »

I found the srx828s had a lot more punch with less power than the srx728s but they were a LOT heavier.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 11:40:03 AM »

You referenced the SRX828S, but then referenced a powered 828s (828sp).  If you are talking about the powered version, I would stay with the 728S cabinets.  Being passive has their advantages.

I think the 828sp cabinet is good, but in my experience from hearing them at shows/gigs, they don't seem to perform like the 728S.  I would probably take an 828S (passive) over an 828sp.

scottstephens

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 10:40:51 AM »

Bob,

I agree with Bob.  I can't really put my finger on it, but the 728's just seem to have more "in your face " raw subbage. 

Scott

Heath Eldridge

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 03:42:48 AM »

I found the srx828s had a lot more punch with less power than the srx728s but they were a LOT heavier.

According to the spec sheets on JBLs website the 828 is 62kg and the 728 is 76?

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 02:44:25 PM »

I would go 728’s because you won’t have issues when the amp module dies in 6 years.

Yes to this! I'm still not sold on using self powered speakers for most things.  Yeah, dragging an amp rack around is a pain, but it's much easier to replace an amp in a rack than trying to source a replacement amp for an older speaker.  Additionally, my experience has been that the longevity of amps in powered speakers is lower than my separate amps.  I've seen far more failures of amps inside speakers than standalone amps.  Granted, the numbers I get to see are only a tiny sampling, so that data doesn't matter much.  However, when an amp does fail, again, the replacement of the separate component is SOOO much easier.  Additionally, it's easier to carry a spare amp in the rack, or double up speakers on an amp channel if you do have a failure than it is to carry an entire box to swap in for a show.

The 828 is offered in both powered and non powered version, so now we can have equal comparisons.  I personally haven't used the 828's yet.  However, if you look at the specs, most are fairly close, but frequency response at -3db is only 47hz on the 828, compared to 33hz with the 728.  That's pretty significant of a difference!  The frequency response listed in the powered version is 35hz at -3db.  That tells you that they are doing internal processing on the amp and pushing more power down to those frequencies to get the speaker to respond.  But since it's taking more power to get there, that means less true overall power available from the speaker.  It's one of those ways that powered speakers get to 'cheat' the specs.

The one thing I would like by having the 828 is the more friendly truck pack dimensions, but not at a significant cost in sound quality.

Even though the SRX 700 series was introduced 17 long years ago, it's still a heck of a set of speakers.  Most of my kit is about 15 years old and still going strong.  I love getting newer and better toys, but for some reason, these have just stuck with me.
Brian Jojade

Scott Bolt

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 05:32:19 PM »

Many of us are nostalgic about the venerable 700 series SRX passive speakers; however, I still believe that the advantages of powered FOH speakers for MOST applications still outweigh passives.

I believe that the 728's were quite good .... if properly powered and processed.  The 828sp's are simply difficult to get wrong ;).

I personally don't care for hauling around separate power racks, and honestly, if I were going to do such a thing I would want a bigger reason than what exists between the 728 and 828sp to do it (I am thinking TH118 to put you in a different class of sub).

It is just so easy to get a pair of 828sp's and a pair of 812p's and just plug them in to sound great.  They are also fairly difficult to break with simple stupidity (it takes more sophisticated stupidity to do it ;) ).

It does depend on your specific use case though.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2021, 09:16:54 PM »

Last I dealt with this (~2017) apparently the thing was that JBL still manufacturers and sells the 728s overseas, and for the right qty (6+ boxes) they'd import some back into the USA. I don't know how accurate that was, but we could keep ordering them.

I see a bunch of people on, say, eBay, listing new 728s right now, so not sure what's going on, but they're listing for less than we paid back in 2017 so it would be interesting to know what's going on.

... we'll probably get another 6. Consistency is nice.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Dave Guilford

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 10:23:31 PM »

Be careful.  There are definitely counterfeit SRX700 boxes out there.  I’ve personally seen fake 728s, 738s, 718s, and 715s with my own eyes.  Local club here actually has a fake set of 728s installed.   

They’re loaded up with the incorrect drivers too .. not 2268.  Something with a 1 but I don’t recall — what did the older SR4719 subs have?  And truthfully I bet those are fake Jbl drivers too.

That said - it’s a dive bar and the subs sound fine .. but measurements are off and wrong drivers .. WEIRD 

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2021, 02:53:46 AM »

They’re loaded up with the incorrect drivers too .. not 2268.  Something with a 1 but I don’t recall — what did the older SR4719 subs have?  And truthfully I bet those are fake Jbl drivers too.

2241? Respectable in it's day, but well superseded by not only the 2268 but just about everything newer (that's not a budget offering) these days.

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2021, 08:07:28 AM »

post deleted

« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 08:31:54 AM by Mike Monte »

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2021, 03:17:36 PM »

I too am leary of most " new " 728 offerings. There are still some legit ones out there, but there are certainly more counterfeit ones being sold. Some of the sellers are straight up about it and others not so much.

The 800 series in self-powered format is VERY hard to beat. I owned a set of 728's several years ago and they were definitely nice, but despite how low they went and how reasonably loud they were, they also required some taming in the 80hz area and were perhaps too big sounding in many instances. They required some work is all I am saying. I picked up the 818sp's a couple of years ago and it was an instant love affair. They get reasonably loud, are very smooth and even sounding, and I feel they are well priced and well accoutermented to do much more than most in their market segment. I much preferred them to the 728's. They got just about as loud ( close enough in a 1:1 comparison ) and required little or no work to dial in.

I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2021, 03:17:36 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.