ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best free app for iPad?  (Read 2252 times)

Brian_Henry

• NJ
    • Mountainside Studios, LLC
Re: Best free app for iPad?
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2021, 10:58:37 AM »

If I'm not running sound, I'll busk the whole show.  Preset scenes which I change on the fly.  No movers.
Luminair 3 work surprisingly well for that.

Id kind of like to get a couple movers. Good idea? Bad idea?

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2021, 11:16:58 AM »

It depends on what you do and how much time you have to do it.

Mover's are another level of time suck on a gig. They are harder to transport, harder to rig, and take more time programming once they are up and running. Also they offer many more points of failure over a dumb par can.

But they make a show much more exciting, and if your guitar player is late and you didn't get a par can focused on him you can just "move" that mover until he's lit up. A brace of Mover's also acts like a "force multiplier" in that you can focus all of them on the drummer for a solo, just for that bit of time then they can go back to lighting up the whole stage afterwards. Usually in a bar the drummer just get's the spill off the front line lights.

Mover's with gobo's in them should typically only be used for rear lighting and also only really look good if you also have haze. Without haze all those beam effects are lost.

To get started with moving light's I would suggest some moving head washes. These are essentially par cans that can move. You can use them up front for people lighting, and also use them in the rear for woo-woo lighting. They are the most versatile of the moving lights. After playing with these for a bit maybe spring for 4-6 moving beam/gobo lights. In club land I love the Chauvet Intimidator Scan 305 right now. It has some big-boy features (spinning gobos and a prism) in a tiny package, and the LED is bright enough to cut through on a small stage with modern LED cans. And it's cheap. The only downside is that it's a "scanner" or mirror based light. That limits it's range of motion. But if you can get away with a 90 degree tilt and 180 degree pan it is a fantastic tiny light. Not a toy at all.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Brian_Henry

• NJ
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2021, 11:48:39 AM »

It depends on what you do and how much time you have to do it...

Thanks that's good food for thought!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2021, 12:03:27 PM »

The only downside is that it's a "scanner" or mirror based light.

Hey, I still love me some scanners!  Yes, they fell out of favor around a decade ago in most contexts but some nice tight scanner programming is always entertaining to watch.

Brian, to elaborate a bit on what Tim said, the meat and potatoes in moving lights is the programming.  A handful of moving lights with tasteful programming can really add appeal to your rig.  It takes time and practice to learn but can really help you level-up your presentation.  In context with this thread topic you might find limitations on App features to make programming quicker (palettes, masking, etc.), but itíll work with some patience.  Once you get the hang of working with moving lights the specific fixtures you deploy become less important.  Hope this helps!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2021, 12:13:12 PM »

Movers do look very good BUT I agree with everyone that they are time consuming to set up and have to be transported with care. Due to the mechanics, lots to go wrong and unless hung on a truss or placed somewhere VERY safe, can get damaged pretty easily.
They do look pretty cool though when programmed well for the show ..... it's all in the time spent in programming. Either that or keep to simple chases.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Brian_Henry

• NJ
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2021, 11:48:35 PM »

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Was thinking of starting w a pair at some point but I also keep forgetting I cannot use haze at most venues I am at which might make them less useful. Sounds like there is a learning curve w the movements too. But Ill stop this thread jack here and start a new thread at some point if I get serious about pursuing movers.

Re Vibrio, had a little time time to mess around with the free version (only 16 DMX addresses). First thing I noticed is it doesn't seem to have palettes which is bummer for me as I'm used to building scenes that way. Have to spend some more time though.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2021, 09:46:30 AM »

Iím not paying monthly to turn on the white lights at the start of the show.

Why DMX at all? Don't have a power strip?
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2021, 12:12:47 AM »

Why DMX at all? Don't have a power strip?

Because the guy at Sweetwater sold the whole DMX shebang to the band leader.

I would have much preferred to just leave them on all the time.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #37 on: December 11, 2021, 12:12:47 AM ¬Ľ

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 24 queries.