ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Best free app for iPad?  (Read 6958 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Best free app for iPad?
« on: June 25, 2021, 09:15:52 PM »

So I have a band that bought some led cans and the Enttec ODE because the guy at the store said it was the ticket.

I wouldn’t have done it this way, but whatever. It’s bought.

The rig is exceedingly simple. Two trees. Some ADJ hexpars. White light only, turn it on and leave it on. Since we already use iPads for mixing, monitors, lyrics, charts, etc. I might as well use the iPad to turn the lights on and off.

So I’ve never used any iPad apps for lighting but all I’ve ever heard about is Luminaire. I downloaded it and Leo and behold it’s a subscription service. I’m not paying monthly to turn on the white lights at the start of the show. Especially since only do about one show a month! Lol

So are there any free apps out there that aren’t DJ focused? Apps that I might understand coming from a real lighting desk?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Nate Zifra

Re: Best free app for iPad?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 11:45:31 AM »

I just came across this the other day, and haven't had a chance to try it out, but At Full from Blizzard Lighting might check the boxes for you.  The free version appears to give you the ability to create basic scenes and chases.  Then you can pay to upscale it for FX and other features.  It says it will work with ArtNet and sACN interfaces.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/full/id1483078784

So I have a band that bought some led cans and the Enttec ODE because the guy at the store said it was the ticket.

The rig is exceedingly simple. Two trees. Some ADJ hexpars. White light only, turn it on and leave it on. Since we already use iPads for mixing, monitors, lyrics, charts, etc. I might as well use the iPad to turn the lights on and off.

So I’ve never used any iPad apps for lighting but all I’ve ever heard about is Luminaire. I downloaded it and Leo and behold it’s a subscription service. I’m not paying monthly to turn on the white lights at the start of the show. Especially since only do about one show a month! Lol

So are there any free apps out there that aren’t DJ focused? Apps that I might understand coming from a real lighting desk?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 01:13:58 PM »

Yes Luminair just started doing that. Those of us who were already using the app are grandfathered in and can continue to use Luminair v3 bought and paid for.
Look at Vibrio....http://vibriolighting.com
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 03:20:11 PM »

Yes Luminair just started doing that. Those of us who were already using the app are grandfathered in and can continue to use Luminair v3 bought and paid for.
Look at Vibrio....http://vibriolighting.com

I will. Thanks Debbie!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Brian_Henry

• NJ
    • Mountainside Studios, LLC
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 06:47:53 PM »

I will. Thanks Debbie!

Hi Tim, wondering if you ever messed around with Vibrio or similar and have any feedback. I'm at a point where I'm looking to get away from D Pro and off a laptop to an iPad based system that I can hand to volunteers on occasion.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 07:40:14 PM »

Hi Tim, wondering if you ever messed around with Vibrio or similar and have any feedback. I'm at a point where I'm looking to get away from D Pro and off a laptop to an iPad based system that I can hand to volunteers on occasion.

No I haven't maybe I'll revisit this in a little while, but right now I am using Photon. It sucks, but it works and was free. At least it's free to do what I want to do. I can turn the lights on and off and change color. Thats all I need.

Would be nice to have a decent 5 dollar app that can freely run one universe easily, and in a way that makes sense to a pro. No limits, no subscriptions, no DJ button grids.

Brian_Henry

• NJ
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2021, 09:26:01 PM »

No I haven't maybe I'll revisit this in a little while, but right now I am using Photon. It sucks, but it works and was free. At least it's free to do what I want to do. I can turn the lights on and off and change color. Thats all I need.

Would be nice to have a decent 5 dollar app that can freely run one universe easily, and in a way that makes sense to a pro. No limits, no subscriptions, no DJ button grids.

Got it, thanks. Vibrio isnt too expensive at $40 for 1/2 a universe but can't seem to find many opinions on it. May give it a try. I refuse to go to Luminaire as a subscription. Paying 100 one time is one thing but I will not use it enough to justify recurring costs. Not to mentioned they beached previous users on v3 if they don't want to step up to the new pricing model.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2021, 09:41:41 PM »

Got it, thanks. Vibrio isnt too expensive at $40 for 1/2 a universe but can't seem to find many opinions on it. May give it a try. I refuse to go to Luminaire as a subscription. Paying 100 one time is one thing but I will not use it enough to justify recurring costs. Not to mentioned they beached previous users on v3 if they don't want to step up to the new pricing model.

Beached?...  I'm still using v3 and quite honestly it does what I need it to - been using it for years since v2.
When V4 was launched, all existing users were grandfathered into being able to continue to use V3 so no extra fees. I wouldn't choose to pay a subscription even though I use it a lot - if I can help it.
I have become very creative to get what I want from Luminair and I know it like the back of my hand so I have a comfort level with it. It's not perfect but any features it does lack, would be covered if I choose to move to something else BUT surprisingly there is still very little choice for iPad use.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Brian_Henry

• NJ
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2021, 11:06:51 PM »

Beached?...  I'm still using v3 and quite honestly it does what I need it to - been using it for years since v2.
When V4 was launched, all existing users were grandfathered into being able to continue to use V3 so no extra fees. I wouldn't choose to pay a subscription even though I use it a lot - if I can help it.
I have become very creative to get what I want from Luminair and I know it like the back of my hand so I have a comfort level with it. It's not perfect but any features it does lack, would be covered if I choose to move to something else BUT surprisingly there is still very little choice for iPad use.

Hi Debbie,

Going off of some of the previous comments you made where you had to go back and find a backup of your iPad to get back to v3. If those backups are lost or whatever, seems like you would have issues returning to v3 after that (idk maybe not)? Not saying that it isn't great software, but I would be unhappy to have the pricing model switched so significantly if I had already adopted a product. Maybe I misinterpreted something about the change, but the current pricing structure will not work for me, so I need to find an alternative.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 11:20:18 PM »

Hi Debbie,

Going off of some of the previous comments you made where you had to go back and find a backup of your iPad to get back to v3. If those backups are lost or whatever, seems like you would have issues returning to v3 after that (idk maybe not)? Not saying that it isn't great software, but I would be unhappy to have the pricing model switched so significantly if I had already adopted a product. Maybe I misinterpreted something about the change, but the current pricing structure will not work for me, so I need to find an alternative.

YES that was an absolute PIA because one of my iPads auto updated to V4 overnight - I'd somehow left the iPad on auto update. I never do that so no idea what happened there. After unsuccessfully finding a way to downgrade back to v3 and being told by Synthe FX support (Luminair) this was impossible, I thought I was stumped. Then I realized I had one icloud back up on that iPad from 9 months earlier and wouldn't lose anything important on it if I restored to that earlier state..... so yeah that wasn't pleasant BUT it was sheer bad luck that my one of 5 iPads that this happened to was my main one I use for lights. I could have used one of my other iPads but that wasnt my preference for different reasons.
If I ever mistakenly leave the auto update function on AND do not have a back up for that particular iPad then - yes I'd be out of luck..... but guess what I did immediately after this happened ?- YEP I backed up all my iPads just in case.
This is annoying and I'm not too pleased about it BUT as long as I don't screw up again, Luminair will continue to give me what I need so I dont see it as a huge deal right now. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 11:20:18 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.