Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > HistoryOfConcertSound.org

Sliders in consoles

<< < (13/14) > >>

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: brian maddox on July 24, 2021, 11:34:40 PM ---Still think this is one of the more epic design fails in Live Audio history. It was really an exceptionally good desk. I believe the Kennedy Center had one out at the millennium stage for a while because I remember mixing on one there. But the fact that it screwed up half a truck pack to bring it on tour killed it. A brilliant example of why you need people who USE your product on your design team.

The fact that all anyone really remembers is that it wouldn't fit into a truck correctly pretty much sums up the problem....  :)

--- End quote ---

You rope eh', ya keep eh'.

Mannheim Steamroller's Christmas show carried a Europa II about 15 years ago.  All I did was help tip the desk and 8 stagehands removed the lid.  Fitting it in the trailer was someone else's problem.

John Sulek:

--- Quote from: Riley Casey on July 25, 2021, 10:03:13 AM ---That and the fact that the decision to put a gate in every channel rather than a compressor was apparently based on the fact that the gate required one less IC in the parts count.  ::) 

The Europa came as part of a package and only went out a few times before it went out the door permanently.

--- End quote ---

There was also an issue with the memory for the mutes and buss assigns. I remember a pack of D cell batteries in the doghouse to provide the RAM backup.
Good times .com

John Fruits:
A slight swerve of the slider but I do remember a recording console that had sliding faders BUT it was just before the Neve Flying Faders and each channel strip had a tiny null meter next to the slider and you had to manually move the slider to center the needle for mixdown.  IIRC it was an API console.

Al Forbes:

--- Quote from: duane massey on June 24, 2021, 07:07:08 PM ---Idle curiosity: when did sliders become commonplace in live mixing consoles?

--- End quote ---

I had a Midas PR004 that was made in the early 70's. It had P&G wirewound faders.

Mike Diack:

--- Quote from: duane massey on June 24, 2021, 07:07:08 PM ---Idle curiosity: when did sliders become commonplace in live mixing consoles?

--- End quote ---
Second mixer I ever built used Langevin faders (found in an SF surplus store). Big solid wirewound brutes, 600ohm in/out.
I think Langevin was a part of Western Electric. I wonder if quadrant faders are in the slider camp or are a limited range
rotary?.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version