Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > HistoryOfConcertSound.org

Sliders in consoles

<< < (2/14) > >>

Ike Zimbel:

--- Quote from: Mac Kerr on June 24, 2021, 10:43:03 PM ---Not that new. I remember Pete Erskine and I max'ing out all our credit cards at Manny's Music on 48th St to buy a couple of PM1000 consoles in '76. We used them on the Chrysler new car launch that summer. The PM1000 was not the first console with linear faders, certainly Stephenson and others predate them.

Mac

--- End quote ---
This is a quibble, but the PM-1000 (also the first console I used with sliders, ca. 1978) actually has a very clever arrangement of a rotary pot controlled by the slider mechanism. IIRC, there's a gear on the pot shaft and a toothed belt that is connected to the slider.

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: Ike Zimbel on June 25, 2021, 10:57:05 AM --- This is a quibble, but the PM-1000 (also the first console I used with sliders, ca. 1978) actually has a very clever arrangement of a rotary pot controlled by the slider mechanism. IIRC, there's a gear on the pot shaft and a toothed belt that is connected to the slider.

--- End quote ---

Yes, there were a few consoles of that era that used belt driven rotary pots controlled by a slider. Quality rotary pots were easier to source (and cheaper) than the same quality in a linear pot. Penny & Giles were the high priced spread of the day.

Mac

John Roberts {JR}:

--- Quote from: Mac Kerr on June 25, 2021, 11:19:02 AM ---Yes, there were a few consoles of that era that used belt driven rotary pots controlled by a slider. Quality rotary pots were easier to source (and cheaper) than the same quality in a linear pot. Penny & Giles were the high priced spread of the day.

Mac

--- End quote ---
Yup, IIRC P&Gs were like $20 each back in the 70s, modern slide pots are more like $0.20....

Those old rotary pots were hermetically sealed and robust, modern sliders and rotaries have both gotten cheaper.

JR

Ivan Beaver:

--- Quote from: Mac Kerr on June 25, 2021, 11:19:02 AM ---Yes, there were a few consoles of that era that used belt driven rotary pots controlled by a slider. Quality rotary pots were easier to source (and cheaper) than the same quality in a linear pot. Penny & Giles were the high priced spread of the day.

Mac

--- End quote ---
My first half decent console was a Biamp 2442.  I replaced all of the faders with P&G.  They were MUCH better than the stock faders.

Steve-White:

--- Quote from: Ivan Beaver on June 25, 2021, 12:48:39 PM ---My first half decent console was a Biamp 2442.  I replaced all of the faders with P&G.  They were MUCH better than the stock faders.

--- End quote ---
My early career was on a Biamp 2442.  First console was an EV Tapco C-12.  I don't know where they are today with regard to dust and dirt in linear pots - in the early days that was the difficult part in manufacture - keeping the dirt out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version