ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: At what temp should I be concerned about keeping subs and speakers in a trailer  (Read 1923 times)

Mal Brown

Title pretty much says it.  We have temps reaching into the 110 this weekend.  Wondering if I ought to pull my subs and tops into the house...  trailers are silver and white so more reflective than black anyway.

Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Mike Monte

• My website

Title pretty much says it.  We have temps reaching into the 110 this weekend.  Wondering if I ought to pull my subs and tops into the house...  trailers are silver and white so more reflective than black anyway.

I can't say much about keeping cabs in a trailer (as most of my cabs are painted) however, I have four pair of older cabs covered in rat fur that developed an issue after being left in a POD storage unit one July.  (Most days in the 80's, some 90's, and sunny for the most part....it got hot in there...)

The glue got soft and the carpet-covering developed loose seams which never went back to normal.
The cabs sound fine....just look rattier than normal....

My painted cabs were fine.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions

If the glues that hold the sub together are designed for 300+ degrees I doubt you'll have any issues with the (at worst) 113F/45C inside temps due to weather.

Note: I am not speaking with any authority on glue or speaker manufacturing.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Mal Brown

Hey Mike!  You may have found a niche.   just about every bass player I know still using rat fur covered Eden XLT cabs obsesses over how to get it off and do a duratex finish.  :-)
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC

I usually keep my subs in the trailer as well.  Same type as yours (silver roof and white sides).  Though, I place a tarp, silver on one side - black on the other) over my trailer with silver side up.  It's worked out pretty good with keeping the heat out and off the roof.  The silver reflects the light, and the tarps provides shade for the trailer.  I also keep a one of those "damp-rid" hanging products in the trailer.

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions

Well, it was 118⁰ here last week, no problems.   It was 120 last summer, no problems.   It's really a non-issue.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL

Humidity is a much bigger issue than outright temperature.  So long as the moisture stays down and any “stale air” gets turned over you should be just fine.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics

Humidity is a much bigger issue than outright temperature.  So long as the moisture stays down and any “stale air” gets turned over you should be just fine.

Generally, yes. The raw temperatures that you need to get to before equipment damage happens usually are quite high.  Most equipment can safely be stored in temperatures up to 140 degrees with no concern.  More sensitive electronics, such as LCD screens would suffer damage earlier than things like speaker cabinets.  For those type of devices, you need to stay below the melting temperature of any adhesives that may be used inside of the devices.

If humidity remains below 80%, generally, that would be considered in the safe zone. Normally in areas with such high heat, humidity is highest in the morning when it is cooler, then reduces as heat rises, so that's probably not much to be worried about.

Having air trapped inside of the trailer doesn't matter much, and may be beneficial in the case where humidity is lower inside of the trailer than outside.  Moving air within the trailer only really matters if you need to help keep the temperature down, since the sun beating on the trailer may increase temperatures inside significantly.
Brian Jojade

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions

Humidity is a much bigger issue than outright temperature.

Agreed.  I've found electronics to be more vulnerable than (passive) speaker cabinets.

Dave

...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Steve-White

• Fort Worth

I have a truck parked behind my house which at one time was a U-Haul 14' Ford E350.  Box is white on both sides and door, with aluminum silver roof.  There are wireless temperature monitors in it.  Fort Worth Texas, mid day at 2:30 pm outdoor ambient is 91F and the storage box is 99F.  It typically runs ~10F above ambient with low to no cloud cover.  Storing equipment in it hasn't been a problem.  Amps, cone drivers, compression drivers and lithium rechargeable LED lights.

Sensorpush has inexpensive Bluetooth sensors that work well and you can load the application onto a pad or smart phone and it will track temperature as a data logger.

Terry Tarpening

I’ve left cabs in trailers for 40 years in all kinds of weather. Never had an issue where they didn’t work as expected…….
Terry Tarpening

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography

The flashpoint of the paper in the driver, or the ratfur would be the point at which I start to worry about temperature related damage.

So roughly 480 degrees F.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mal Brown

well that's better than 451f ;-)
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND

Generally, yes. The raw temperatures that you need to get to before equipment damage happens usually are quite high.  Most equipment can safely be stored in temperatures up to 140 degrees with no concern.  More sensitive electronics, such as LCD screens would suffer damage earlier than things like speaker cabinets.  For those type of devices, you need to stay below the melting temperature of any adhesives that may be used inside of the devices.

If humidity remains below 80%, generally, that would be considered in the safe zone. Normally in areas with such high heat, humidity is highest in the morning when it is cooler, then reduces as heat rises, so that's probably not much to be worried about.

Having air trapped inside of the trailer doesn't matter much, and may be beneficial in the case where humidity is lower inside of the trailer than outside.  Moving air within the trailer only really matters if you need to help keep the temperature down, since the sun beating on the trailer may increase temperatures inside significantly.

I think one key element in all this is keeping it all in the dark no matter how hot it gets.  I've seen stuff left stored in cars and vans with windows that has melted.  The auto industry uses plastics that can withstand it, but camera, computer and similar electronics I've seen plastic deformed. 
Back in the day remember leaving a cassette on the dash or rear shelf? (-especially in Tucson in August)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.