ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: x32 x-live SD card recording question  (Read 2346 times)

Mike Karseboom

Re: x32 x-live SD card recording question
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2021, 07:07:21 PM »

I have not tried all the techniques mentioned here so can't comment on their validity.  However it seems to me that you have to be very careful if you soft patch an input and expect to record it.  The general rule is that the card will record what is present at the physical input or output.  So soft patching can introduce some confusion and possibly missed channels.

For example, suppose you only have 16 regular XLR inputs available and you need two more inputs for a stereo keyboard.  You cleverly plug the keyboard  into Aux In 1&2. Then you soft patch regular channels 17&18 to get their signals from Aux 1&2 so you can use all the features of a regular channel.

Now if you had set your SD card for 32 channel recording and set the card input blocks to ch 1-8, ch 9-16, ch 17-24, and ch25-32, you would expect to record they keyboard on ch 17 and 18.  But you will probably get nothing. 

There is no signal on the physical input for Ch 17 &18.  Of course you don't even have a physical Ch 17 & 18 but even if you did, soft patching them to Aux In 1&2 would cause the same failure to record. 

They keyboard input signal is present on physical inputs Aux 1&2.  So to record it you should make Aux in 1-6 +TB one of your Card Input Blocks.

This has been my experience anyway.

Note that when it comes to soft patching to outputs, the rules are a little different and there are many tricks you can do to get an input routed to the card via an output block.

--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

JeffreyHague

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2021, 10:07:27 AM »

I have not tried all the techniques mentioned here so can't comment on their validity.  However it seems to me that you have to be very careful if you soft patch an input and expect to record it.  The general rule is that the card will record what is present at the physical input or output.  So soft patching can introduce some confusion and possibly missed channels.

For example, suppose you only have 16 regular XLR inputs available and you need two more inputs for a stereo keyboard.  You cleverly plug the keyboard  into Aux In 1&2. Then you soft patch regular channels 17&18 to get their signals from Aux 1&2 so you can use all the features of a regular channel.

Now if you had set your SD card for 32 channel recording and set the card input blocks to ch 1-8, ch 9-16, ch 17-24, and ch25-32, you would expect to record they keyboard on ch 17 and 18.  But you will probably get nothing. 

There is no signal on the physical input for Ch 17 &18.  Of course you don't even have a physical Ch 17 & 18 but even if you did, soft patching them to Aux In 1&2 would cause the same failure to record. 

They keyboard input signal is present on physical inputs Aux 1&2.  So to record it you should make Aux in 1-6 +TB one of your Card Input Blocks.

This has been my experience anyway.

Note that when it comes to soft patching to outputs, the rules are a little different and there are many tricks you can do to get an input routed to the card via an output block.

Correct. As far as recording to the SD card or the USB out, those do not appear because they arent inputs - channels do not equal inputs...
Thanks!

JeffreyHague

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2021, 10:12:36 AM »

Hey all!
Has anyone found a way to record the onboard effects returns to the SD card using an x-live card?
The documentation (mostly youtube videos unfortunately) show the basic how to record the inputs but I cant find anything on routing the effects returns to the SD card.
Thanks!
Jeff

I originally posted this about an x32 installed in a club where I am house. I have since gotten my own m32 and a pair of DL16s so I have had 2 setups to play with.
What I have found is the only way to record the effects is to send them out of a physical output - a bus mix assigned to an xlr or an aux out - and then bring them back in to an input with a cable. The SD card only sees what the console considers inputs, not channels.
1 interesting thing I found is that when you are using the stage boxes outputs are sent to both the stage box and the onboard xlrs. That does make things a little easier since you can assign and use all 16 outputs at the stage box and have access to them locally.
Thanks!
Jeff

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2021, 01:37:42 PM »

{...} What I have found is the only way to record the effects is to send them out of a physical output - a bus mix assigned to an xlr or an aux out - and then bring them back in to an input with a cable. The SD card only sees what the console considers inputs, not channels. {...}

Good news: I think I may have found a definitive, in-the-box answer for recording FX returns. Bad news: you probably aren't going to like it...

What I've come up with is "old-school". The FX returns may not show up on the "User" routing pages, but they do still show up on the Ultranet routing page. So:
  • Set "Card Outputs" 25-32 to source from "Ultranet" 1-8
  • Set Ultranet 1 & 2 to source from "Direct Out FX" 1L & 1R (probably best to use a post-fade tap)

The FX1 returns will now record to the SD card (and show up in the USB interface) as channels 25 and 26.

Of course, you can go a step further if you don't want to burn 8 channels of recording inputs. Let's say you want FX1L and FX1R to show up on the recording as channels 31 and 32, but you still want to have recording channels 25-30 be inputs as normal:
  • Set "Card" "Outputs 25-32" to source from "User Out" 1-8
  • Set "User Out" "Output 1" through "Output 6" to source from whatever was originally serving as inputs 25-30 (i.e. "Local"/AES50-A"/"AES50-B")
  • Set "User Out" "Output 7" & "Output 8" to source from "Ultranet" 1 & 2
  • Set "Ultranet" 1 & 2 to source from "Direct Out FX" 1L & 1R (probably best to use a post-fade tap)

Which is...pretty ugly, but it should work without needing to use a cable.

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2021, 01:37:42 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.