ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: x32 x-live SD card recording question  (Read 2347 times)

Jeff M Hague

x32 x-live SD card recording question
« on: June 21, 2021, 04:20:02 PM »

Hey all!
Has anyone found a way to record the onboard effects returns to the SD card using an x-live card?
The documentation (mostly youtube videos unfortunately) show the basic how to record the inputs but I cant find anything on routing the effects returns to the SD card.
Thanks!
Jeff
Jeff

Douglas R. Allen

Re: x32 x-live SD card recording question
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 06:00:42 PM »

Hey all!
Has anyone found a way to record the onboard effects returns to the SD card using an x-live card?
The documentation (mostly youtube videos unfortunately) show the basic how to record the inputs but I cant find anything on routing the effects returns to the SD card.
Thanks!
Jeff

With enough spare channels you can. You can assign Effects to go out your Aux Channels. In this example I sent Effects 1 L/R out Aux Channels 1 and 2. Take a short 1/4 TRS to TRS cable and put those channels back into Aux 1/2. Now assign Aux In Channels 1-2 to a normal pair of channels. Say 31 and 32. Assign these channels to the card and you will have them. Clunky I know but it will work. Remember not to assign 31/32 to anywhere it shouldn't go as well as Aux 1 and 2 in, and certainly don't send 31/32 or Aux 1/2 back to Effects 1 !!! . Just 1 way I've done this before.

Douglas R. Allen

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 12:24:11 PM »

With enough spare channels you can. You can assign Effects to go out your Aux Channels. In this example I sent Effects 1 L/R out Aux Channels 1 and 2. Take a short 1/4 TRS to TRS cable and put those channels back into Aux 1/2. Now assign Aux In Channels 1-2 to a normal pair of channels. Say 31 and 32. Assign these channels to the card and you will have them. Clunky I know but it will work. Remember not to assign 31/32 to anywhere it shouldn't go as well as Aux 1 and 2 in, and certainly don't send 31/32 or Aux 1/2 back to Effects 1 !!! . Just 1 way I've done this before.

Douglas R. Allen

This is the only way to do it that I can think of too, but why not just set the channels input source to be the bus output rather than running a cable? Seems like it would eliminate the conversion latency of going out and back in again with an analog signal. I've never tried, but is there a reason that wouldn't work?
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 12:53:09 PM »

This is the only way to do it that I can think of too, but why not just set the channels input source to be the bus output rather than running a cable? Seems like it would eliminate the conversion latency of going out and back in again with an analog signal. I've never tried, but is there a reason that wouldn't work?

Aux in Remap and Soft Patch doesn't allow for that.

EDIT:  It looks like you can run effect straight into a channel. I've never tried it as I'm unsure if this is Pre Effects send or post. I'll do it here in a moment and report back.

Douglas R. Allen
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 01:01:38 PM by Douglas R. Allen »

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 01:22:03 PM »

Good answer. I just tried it and it worked fine. The tap is Post Effects Processor. I was thinking about it and I remembered what happened the night I tried it. I patched in Effects 4 direct to a channel. Effects 4 just had had a short 80ms delay in it. I soloed the channel. Really didn't hear it live so tried the Aux out/in then to a channel with Effects 1 that had a reverb and it worked fine and I got through the night. I don't even remember why the band wanted to hear the effects on a track but for a throw and go it worked.
   Just now I tried Soft Patching Effects 1 to channel 32 and it worked fine. So with a pair or more of spare channels it would be easy to do as you say and save the latency as well. One of those things that is so rarely done. ( I don't remember why they even wanted it but oh well.. )

Douglas R. Allen

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 02:01:54 PM »

Good answer. I just tried it and it worked fine. The tap is Post Effects Processor. I was thinking about it and I remembered what happened the night I tried it. I patched in Effects 4 direct to a channel. Effects 4 just had had a short 80ms delay in it. I soloed the channel. Really didn't hear it live so tried the Aux out/in then to a channel with Effects 1 that had a reverb and it worked fine and I got through the night. I don't even remember why the band wanted to hear the effects on a track but for a throw and go it worked.
   Just now I tried Soft Patching Effects 1 to channel 32 and it worked fine. So with a pair or more of spare channels it would be easy to do as you say and save the latency as well. One of those things that is so rarely done. ( I don't remember why they even wanted it but oh well.. )

Douglas R. Allen

Douglas, thank you for confirming Brian's patch/routing.  I experimented with my X32 Rack at home and *thought* it worked but was unsure about the direct output > record final hop working.

Somehow they made something easy!  Thanks for checking.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

JeffreyHague

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2021, 02:32:48 PM »

Aux in Remap and Soft Patch doesn't allow for that.

EDIT:  It looks like you can run effect straight into a channel. I've never tried it as I'm unsure if this is Pre Effects send or post. I'll do it here in a moment and report back.

Douglas R. Allen

Hey! I am the OP but had to set up a new account - forgot password, password reset methods failed, no response to messages from admins, etc.
Anyway, have you tried this? What I have seen is the multitrack recording follows inputs, not channels. I typically have my vocals on inputs and channels 17 through 21 and I dont change the inputs from show to show because there are other guys that work the club and its easier if everything stays the same. What I do for bands that I know the input list beforehand is create a show file that gets everything on 1 layer (if it will fit on 16 faders). The 1st time I tried the mutltitrack to SD I assigned inputs 17 - 19 to faders 14 - 16 and set it to record to 16 "channels". Once I dropped the files in to R.E.A.P.E.R., 14 - 16 were blank and no vocals got recorded.

JeffreyHague

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 02:34:06 PM »

Hey all!
Thanks!
Jeff

Hey! I am the OP but had to set up a new account - forgot password, password reset methods failed, no response to messages from admins, etc.
Thanks for the answers! I will try these and report back as soon as I am back at the club.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2021, 06:47:44 PM »

Thanks for the answers! I will try these and report back as soon as I am back at the club.

You never sent me a PM, unfortunately I am on vacation at the beach with little internet. I should be able to help you reset your password sometime in the next couple of days.

Mac

JeffreyHague

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2021, 09:54:56 AM »

You never sent me a PM, unfortunately I am on vacation at the beach with little internet. I should be able to help you reset your password sometime in the next couple of days.

Mac

I think I messaged Doug Fowler but cant remember and cant get in to check.
Thanks - just let me know when you have time and enjoy your vacation!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2021, 09:54:56 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.