Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

Shop Safety

(1/4) > >>

Steve-White:
I was out in the shop this afternoon working on a mounting panel for a Lian Li computer case to hold the power supply.  Did a full refresh on the audio workstation PC - motherboard, processor, RAM, video card, power supply, SSD's and liquid cooling + a second DVD/RW drive.

Anyway, cleaning up the 1/8" aluminum panel on the 6x48" belt sander after cutting to size on the band saw.  The belt flew apart on the sander.  That's the second time that's happened on that machine in the last 3-6 months and only the second failure of that nature I've ever encountered.

Fortunately, I was wearing a full face shield and work gloves when it let go.  It ka-bangs real good with a 1.5 HP machine at full RPM with belt moving, rollers spinning, motor spinning, sanding disc spinning.  Scared the crap out of me - fortunately nothing hurt.  The tracking has be a little strange with that machine for quite some time.  Not sure if that was a factor or not or if it's the brand of 6x48" belt.

Ordered a new disc/belt sander:  https://www.zoro.com/jet-beltdisc-sander-1-12hp-115230v-jsg-6dc/i/G4283986/

Pretty decent looking machine, and cost ~3 times what I paid for that old Craftsman 20 years ago.

Pictures attached.  Be safe guys, I'm real happy I was wearing heavy gloves and the face shield - that thing could take an eye or finger real easy.

Steve-White:
Picture attached.

Dave Garoutte:

--- Quote from: Steve-White on June 20, 2021, 05:42:18 pm ---Picture attached.

--- End quote ---
Sanding belts often have a direction to them.  The overlap can peel if reversed.
That looks like a new belt.  It also looks like your panel dug in, ripping the belt.
I usually use the disc sander with thin materials.  No way of digging in.

Steve-White:
Directional belts with arrows on them are definitely what I'm used to.  Seems like the latest fad, after peel and stick and hook and loop is non-directional belts.

Could be the edge of the plate caught and dug in.  I've done edge sanding for a long time and not had any problems until the last two incidents.  Maybe just dumb luck there.  The belt is industrial grade from Grainger, but a they are no-name house brand it looks like.  I usually use 3M or Norton abrasives.

Gloves & face shield always for this guy.

Bob Stone:
Gloves are a bit risky on anything moving like that...all it takes is a thread to catch and pull your hand right in. Most advise not to wear gloves while sanding with anything powerful.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version