ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: No High pass filters, next best options parametric and graphic eq?  (Read 1532 times)

Wayne Smith2

I'm hoping to get advice/reality check here providing high pass protection for a passive sub and small main pair with the filtering available on an A&H QU.
The sub for example would like 24dB/oct Butterworth at 40Hz. My best guess has been a narrow Q dip at 20Hz (-15dB max) on the parametric -followed by the graphic with 31Hz pulled down. Seems it may be close for the sub's target, but not so much for the 12" tops. I can go higher with the graphic but only the -12 @ 50 for example.
I should mention it's not like I am looking to run the rig maxed out, more curious what I'm doing is a good as it can be, 'close to adequate ? Or not even?

(Forgot to mention,  QU has HiPass on the channels but for what ever reason did not offer them on the busses.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 05:35:56 PM by Wayne Smith2 »

Paul G. OBrien

Re: No High pass filters, next best options parametric and graphic eq?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 06:50:06 PM »

So no filters on the amplifiers?  If you apply a highpass on every active channel of the QU that will provide the same or even better protection than the highpass filter found on most amplifiers. But you need a proper crossover between the subs and tops.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 09:23:44 PM »

Wouldn't be easier and better to just beg, borrow or steal an old electronic crossover and do it correctly?
This space for rent

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 09:47:39 PM »

Wouldn't be easier and better to just beg, borrow or steal an old electronic crossover and do it correctly?

Unfortunately, most of them did not have a high pass (l40hz) for the sub output.  That's what caused me to buy a VXS26 many, many moons ago.  I still use it specifically for that feature.

-Dennis

Peter Morris

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 10:04:30 PM »

I'm hoping to get advice/reality check here providing high pass protection for a passive sub and small main pair with the filtering available on an A&H QU.
The sub for example would like 24dB/oct Butterworth at 40Hz. My best guess has been a narrow Q dip at 20Hz (-15dB max) on the parametric -followed by the graphic with 31Hz pulled down. Seems it may be close for the sub's target, but not so much for the 12" tops. I can go higher with the graphic but only the -12 @ 50 for example.
I should mention it's not like I am looking to run the rig maxed out, more curious what I'm doing is a good as it can be, 'close to adequate ? Or not even?

(Forgot to mention,  QU has HiPass on the channels but for what ever reason did not offer them on the busses.

If you are using a A&H Qu, use a high pass filter on all of your inputs, the output will automatically have a high pass filter. The Aux send can also be set as post HP and pre or post EQ as needed I believe.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 10:16:07 PM »

What parts, pieces, makes and models of equipment are between the mixer and the speakers.

Thomas Le

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 12:47:52 PM »

Not OP but I was in this similar situation about 2 weeks ago at an outdoor gig. The group called me asking to help setup the hodge podge of equipment and show them a quick n dirty tutorial on what is what on the mixer. Unfortunately there was no crossover available at the time and the mixer was a Carvin DX1642, I had to get creative and use the LR bus with GEQ as a split mono system because all the aux sends were used up for the effects and monitors. Basically I did the LF on L and the HF on R, cutting the highs on the L GEQ and the lows on the R GEQ. Not ideal but it worked, material didn't require stereo anyway and the amps were on parallel inputs anyway.

Dave Pluke

• BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 02:40:33 PM »

Basically I did the LF on L and the HF on R, cutting the highs on the L GEQ and the lows on the R GEQ. Not ideal but it worked, ...

My concern with this approach would be potential lobes between bands of the GEQ - especially on a well-aged 9 band analog GEQ, as on that particular mixer.  Also the fact that, lobes aside, the maximum cut at any frequency would be -12dB (on that mixer) rather than an increasing slope of 12dB/octave (for example) that a HPF provides.

I understand battlefield fixes are sometimes the only option. But, if one has time, even a cheap driverack would seem a better solution.

Dave

...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Matthew Knischewsky

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 05:07:33 PM »

I liked my QU but the lack of HPF/LPF on the outputs is one of the reasons why I don't own one anymore. It wasn't a huge deal breaker but I found myself always carrying a 4x8 DSP to manage output processing. I was using an Ashly Protea. There's no way to effectively emulate a HPF or LPF with a QU.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 08:07:07 PM »

Personally I don't want to do speaker processing in the mixer short of overall system EQ.

High pass, low pass, band pass filters, output limiting, time alignment band pass EQ, ect. all take place in the system DSP's.
If in need to raise or lower the HP on stage wedges I jump to the DSP.

It also keeps the system more or less plug and play for what ever the mixer of choice is.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 10:35:40 PM by Mike Caldwell »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 08:07:07 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 19 queries.