ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Thought for the day  (Read 3701 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Thought for the day
« on: June 20, 2021, 12:00:29 PM »

"A live event is the automobile, a virtual one is the airplane, Hybrid is the flying car. Where is it? It doesn't exist!" - Grant Whitehead

The nature of live (non-concert) events as clients return to corporate events, seminars, and training...

ps... Grant is producing virtual events with huge audiences (think 6 figures).
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: Thought for the day
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 01:56:54 PM »

"Virtual events are dumb and suck". - Justice Bigler
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 03:00:01 PM »

"Virtual events are dumb and suck". - Justice Bigler
TOTALLY AGREED. 

Yet some make them out to be "cool".

I'll pass.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Fruits

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 03:03:35 PM »

Hey, I was at Woodstock---virtually, I saw the movie.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 12:57:32 AM »

Hey, I was at Woodstock---virtually, I saw the movie.
I have a buddy that was there in person.,
Good thing there's a movie, he doesn't remember a thing  ;D
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 08:20:34 AM »

I have a buddy that was there in person.,
Good thing there's a movie, he doesn't remember a thing  ;D
Chris.
As the saying goes, "If you remember Woodstock, you weren't really there"-----------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 10:37:38 AM »

As the saying goes, "If you remember Woodstock, you weren't really there"-----------

Attributed to Grace Slick - "If you remember the 60's you weren't part of the scene."
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 10:39:41 AM »

The first big post-ish pandemic convention/meeting event in Las Vegas was World of Concrete.  Demand for concrete has not dropped and use of it did not stop during the pandemic.

Attendance at WoC 2021 was down 40%.

Let's see what NAB looks like in October... but my bet is attendance is down 20%.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 11:55:34 AM by Tim McCulloch »

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 11:14:23 AM »

The first big post-ish pandemic convention/meeting event in Las Vegas was World of Concrete.  Demand for concrete has not dropped and use of it did not stop during the pandemic.

Attendance at WoC 2021 was down 40%.

Years ago, I attended a tangent conference to World of Concrete.  Exciting < / sarcasm >.

I wonder how much travel logistics had to do with the lower attendance? Anecdotal observations have indicated that "local" (i.e. large population within driving range) festivals/concerts have been successful.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 01:04:15 PM »

Years ago, I attended a tangent conference to World of Concrete.  Exciting < / sarcasm >.

I wonder how much travel logistics had to do with the lower attendance? Anecdotal observations have indicated that "local" (i.e. large population within driving range) festivals/concerts have been successful.

Dave

Entertainment - concerts and festivals - have a different attendee motivation than conventions and trade shows.  That said, not every show I've done in the past 30 days has been a sell out.  I think the "pent up demand" is attached to individual acts (or classes of acts) and is not universal.

I'm sure there are some transportation/logistics issues, at least potentially, and we shouldn't ignore them... but I think the same accountants that figured out that work from home saved money are the same ones now questioning the value of sending key employees to a distant city and incurring expenses and loss of productivity.  And I'm also trying to plant the seed that as "live audio" folks, we need to look at our VDO step-children with more favor because the die is cast - things are changing whether we like or agree with them.  I've seen the light at the end of the tunnel... and it's an LED, not a kerosene lamp.

The economics of delivering live entertainment will continue to favor lower costs/greater per-event revenue.  We've now had a full generation that has experienced the majority of their entertainment via a hand-held device; many do not have an attachment to mosh pits, dance floors, being packed against a stage barricade, etc in the same way that previous generations may have had.

That all said, we'll see the trend starting in the convention and trade show biz.  It's not going away, it will morph into a new model that de-emphasizes in-person attendance in a single location for many of those events.  This could represent an opportunity in local and regional markets for individuals and companies that are looking forward.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 01:04:15 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.