Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

Thought for the day

<< < (2/6) > >>

Ivan Beaver:

--- Quote from: Chris Hindle on June 22, 2021, 12:57:32 AM ---I have a buddy that was there in person.,
Good thing there's a movie, he doesn't remember a thing  ;D
Chris.

--- End quote ---
As the saying goes, "If you remember Woodstock, you weren't really there"-----------

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Ivan Beaver on June 22, 2021, 08:20:34 AM ---As the saying goes, "If you remember Woodstock, you weren't really there"-----------

--- End quote ---

Attributed to Grace Slick - "If you remember the 60's you weren't part of the scene."

Tim McCulloch:
The first big post-ish pandemic convention/meeting event in Las Vegas was World of Concrete.  Demand for concrete has not dropped and use of it did not stop during the pandemic.

Attendance at WoC 2021 was down 40%.

Let's see what NAB looks like in October... but my bet is attendance is down 20%.

Dave Pluke:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on June 22, 2021, 10:39:41 AM ---The first big post-ish pandemic convention/meeting event in Las Vegas was World of Concrete.  Demand for concrete has not dropped and use of it did not stop during the pandemic.

Attendance at WoC 2021 was down 40%.

--- End quote ---

Years ago, I attended a tangent conference to World of Concrete.  Exciting < / sarcasm >.

I wonder how much travel logistics had to do with the lower attendance? Anecdotal observations have indicated that "local" (i.e. large population within driving range) festivals/concerts have been successful.

Dave

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Dave Pluke on June 23, 2021, 11:14:23 AM ---Years ago, I attended a tangent conference to World of Concrete.  Exciting < / sarcasm >.

I wonder how much travel logistics had to do with the lower attendance? Anecdotal observations have indicated that "local" (i.e. large population within driving range) festivals/concerts have been successful.

Dave

--- End quote ---

Entertainment - concerts and festivals - have a different attendee motivation than conventions and trade shows.  That said, not every show I've done in the past 30 days has been a sell out.  I think the "pent up demand" is attached to individual acts (or classes of acts) and is not universal.

I'm sure there are some transportation/logistics issues, at least potentially, and we shouldn't ignore them... but I think the same accountants that figured out that work from home saved money are the same ones now questioning the value of sending key employees to a distant city and incurring expenses and loss of productivity.  And I'm also trying to plant the seed that as "live audio" folks, we need to look at our VDO step-children with more favor because the die is cast - things are changing whether we like or agree with them.  I've seen the light at the end of the tunnel... and it's an LED, not a kerosene lamp.

The economics of delivering live entertainment will continue to favor lower costs/greater per-event revenue.  We've now had a full generation that has experienced the majority of their entertainment via a hand-held device; many do not have an attachment to mosh pits, dance floors, being packed against a stage barricade, etc in the same way that previous generations may have had.

That all said, we'll see the trend starting in the convention and trade show biz.  It's not going away, it will morph into a new model that de-emphasizes in-person attendance in a single location for many of those events.  This could represent an opportunity in local and regional markets for individuals and companies that are looking forward.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version