Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

Thought for the day

<< < (6/6)

brian maddox:

--- Quote from: Mac Kerr on June 26, 2021, 07:19:25 PM ---^^^^^^^^ Yes.  Virtual events are what I do at my day job, and we get asked by competitors all the time why our events are so good. Itís because they are well produced.

Mac

--- End quote ---

Today I mixed a broadcast for an auto race up Pike's Peak, CO. I engineered and remote control mixed the show from Savannah, GA. The commentators worked from their home somewhere in England. The Video TD was in Salt Lake City, UT. The broadcast studio was in San Rafael, CA. There were a number of other producers and other techs including Graphics ops and others that were located who knows where. To me they were just voices on Comms. Not much different than any other show.

Shows are being broadcast to a "Virtual world" but they're also being PRODUCED in the Virtual World. And in many cases the viewers on the other end can't tell the difference. But I can assure you that the Show Accountants absolutely can.

Justice C. Bigler:

--- Quote from: brian maddox on June 27, 2021, 11:54:47 PM ---Today I mixed a broadcast for an auto race up Pike's Peak, CO. I engineered and remote control mixed the show from Savannah, GA. The commentators worked from their home somewhere in England. The Video TD was in Salt Lake City, UT. The broadcast studio was in San Rafael, CA. There were a number of other producers and other techs including Graphics ops and others that were located who knows where. To me they were just voices on Comms. Not much different than any other show.

Shows are being broadcast to a "Virtual world" but they're also being PRODUCED in the Virtual World. And in many cases the viewers on the other end can't tell the difference. But I can assure you that the Show Accountants absolutely can.

--- End quote ---
And where were the actual camera ops and audio guys who were capturing the content? They had to have people and infrastructure on site to do the actual media capture, right?

That's more of a remote broadcast, not a virtual event. TV has been doing that since almost the beginning of television. Virtual events are something different, and more sucky.

Scott Helmke:

--- Quote from: brian maddox on June 26, 2021, 07:05:00 PM ---At any rate, most of them are not done well as most people try to take a live event presentation and just stream it on to a tiny screen and that's just not gonna cut it. It reminds me a bit of what early movie making was like. it was mostly taking theater/vaudeville and shooting it from a static position and showing it on a screen. And by and large it was a poor alternative to a great live theater or vaudeville show. But then folks like Hitchcock [and obviously many others before and after him] figured out that they could tell stories in MUCH more immersive ways on film, they just had to learn how to use the new medium at their disposal. And of course invent new tools to take full advantage of that medium. And here we are a hundred years later and film making is an art form that continues to evolve and change and grow and no one even thinks to compare it to a Theatrical experience. It's just Another Thing. And it's Another Thing that has clearly eclipsed the Original Thing, both popularly AND financially.
--- End quote ---

Even more so was the change from cinema in a theatre to television in the home.  Groucho Marx of all people figured that out; his TV game show was much more up close and personal than anything he did on the stage or the big screen.  If you look at the people doing well on YouTube, they are almost always ones who started with a small channel and had to connect with viewers to build up their base. It's a whole different thing.

Seeing a 10-piece band rocking out on my computer screen?  That's OK.  Seeing Lianne La Havas in her living room, singing powerfully enough to overload her phone mic?  Goosebumps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version