Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

Thought for the day

<< < (5/6) > >>

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: brian maddox on June 26, 2021, 07:05:00 PM ---I've been in this virtual event space for about 6-7 years or so, so I was in way before the pandemic forced everyone else into it.

[Yeah, I'm the ultimate Virtual event hipster. :) ]

At any rate, most of them are not done well as most people try to take a live event presentation and just stream it on to a tiny screen and that's just not gonna cut it. It reminds me a bit of what early movie making was like. it was mostly taking theater/vaudeville and shooting it from a static position and showing it on a screen. And by and large it was a poor alternative to a great live theater or vaudeville show. But then folks like Hitchcock [and obviously many others before and after him] figured out that they could tell stories in MUCH more immersive ways on film, they just had to learn how to use the new medium at their disposal. And of course invent new tools to take full advantage of that medium. And here we are a hundred years later and film making is an art form that continues to evolve and change and grow and no one even thinks to compare it to a Theatrical experience. It's just Another Thing. And it's Another Thing that has clearly eclipsed the Original Thing, both popularly AND financially.

Virtual events aren't going to replace in person live events. But they aren't going away either. They are going to be Another Thing. It remains to be seen whether, like the analogy I used above, the Another Thing eclipses the Original Thing in scope and popularity. But it's here and it's not going away.

At least that's what my tea leaves are telling me....

--- End quote ---

^^^^^^^^ Yes.  Virtual events are what I do at my day job, and we get asked by competitors all the time why our events are so good. Itís because they are well produced.

Mac

John L Nobile:
Virtual events share a lot in common with live events. It's all about the production and talent. And the talent behind the production.

It surprises me how many big name stars are interviewed using laptop audio/cameras, a wall in their kitchen as a backdrop, bad hair and dressed in their sweats. And yet, they have the money and know the right people to do it right. ]

Hats off to Dolly Parton. Her interviews are perfect.

Jason Glass:

--- Quote from: John L Nobile on June 26, 2021, 07:22:13 PM ---Hats off to Dolly Parton. Her interviews are perfect.

--- End quote ---

Dolly's everything in the public eye is perfect.  I spent 6 years mixing her monitors around the world, and she is the most consummate professional performer that I have worked with in my 32 years in audio.  She's the only one who is truly as brilliant and magical as her reputation suggests.  Her powers of perception and understanding are staggering.  When she looks you in the eye, she sees whatever's in your head, behind your head, and beyond the wall in the background.  You can palpably feel it.
And somehow she makes you feel like a million bucks while she's doing it.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Jason Glass on June 27, 2021, 01:02:40 AM ---Dolly's everything in the public eye is perfect.  I spent 6 years mixing her monitors around the world, and she is the most consummate professional performer that I have worked with in my 32 years in audio.  She's the only one who is truly as brilliant and magical as her reputation suggests.  Her powers of perception and understanding are staggering.  When she looks you in the eye, she sees whatever's in your head, behind your head, and beyond the wall in the background.  You can palpably feel it.

--- End quote ---

She's an amazing human.  One of her abilities that always impresses me is remembering people she met once, years ago, and she will address them by name years later when she sees them.

John L Nobile:

--- Quote from: Jason Glass on June 27, 2021, 01:02:40 AM ---Dolly's everything in the public eye is perfect.  I spent 6 years mixing her monitors around the world, and she is the most consummate professional performer that I have worked with in my 32 years in audio.  She's the only one who is truly as brilliant and magical as her reputation suggests.  Her powers of perception and understanding are staggering.  When she looks you in the eye, she sees whatever's in your head, behind your head, and beyond the wall in the background.  You can palpably feel it.

--- End quote ---

What a treat that must have been. My respect for her grows every time I see her interviewed or perform. Talent wise, she's in her own league. Unfortunately, I've never seen her live.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version