ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on Truss stability  (Read 2270 times)

Mike Rein

Question on Truss stability
« on: June 20, 2021, 10:18:42 AM »

Anyone know if a 6.5 foot truss weighing about 22 pounds holding about 40pounds of lights (including a moving spot at the top) would be ok and not tip over?

John Roesli

• Solution Logix Inc.
Re: Question on Truss stability
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 10:34:25 AM »

Anyone know if a 6.5 foot truss weighing about 22 pounds holding about 40pounds of lights (including a moving spot at the top) would be ok and not tip over?

Assuming you mean standing vertically, then it depends on the type of truss.  Thomas, Tomcat, Global Truss, Euro Truss, Applied etc., some models don't have a vertical weight load rating, some do.   There is also some really light weight trade show type stuff that is not intended for
this application.  Also, have to assume you are attaching to a base plate, which also vary is size and weight.  Best to start out by contacting the manufacturer.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 06:41:24 PM »

If it is a three or four tube truss, the compression strength will be in the hundreds of pounds (40 lbs, no sweat).  The tip-ability is a function of BASE size and weight.  More of each is better.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mike Rein

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 10:32:11 PM »

This is the one I was looking at which comes with a base plate.  And yes I plan to use vertically with one moving light mounted on top, and a couple less heavy lights mounted lower than that.

https://www.stagelightingstore.com/portable-dj-truss/90611-trusst-12-totem-package-2m

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 12:38:19 AM »

This is the one I was looking at which comes with a base plate.  And yes I plan to use vertically with one moving light mounted on top, and a couple less heavy lights mounted lower than that.

https://www.stagelightingstore.com/portable-dj-truss/90611-trusst-12-totem-package-2m

It’ll work, sure.  Just be sure the head is actually mounted to the top plate and not just set there, otherwise it can move over time and eventually fall.

Aside from that as already mentioned the ballast you use on the base is what determines the stability in addition to the size of the base itself.  I personally like to see no less than around 50 pounds of ballast on a 2m totem with 2ft square base, but that can vary either way depending on other factors.  No realistic amount of weight will prevent tipping from a collision with rowdy patrons, so placement and protection is also important.  Hope this helps!

Mike Rein

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 01:01:07 AM »

It’ll work, sure.  Just be sure the head is actually mounted to the top plate and not just set there, otherwise it can move over time and eventually fall.

Aside from that as already mentioned the ballast you use on the base is what determines the stability in addition to the size of the base itself.  I personally like to see no less than around 50 pounds of ballast on a 2m totem with 2ft square base, but that can vary either way depending on other factors.  No realistic amount of weight will prevent tipping from a collision with rowdy patrons, so placement and protection is also important.  Hope this helps!

Is the ballast usually interchangeable meaning if this one it comes with doesn’t seem heavy enough I can just buy another one online?

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 01:13:23 AM »

Is the ballast usually interchangeable meaning if this one it comes with doesn’t seem heavy enough I can just buy another one online?

The kit you linked to comes with a 2ft base plate which weighs about 21 pounds.  I’d throw a 30 or 35 pound ballast on there (sandbag or otherwise) just to help keep your center of gravity low.  Alternatively you can substitute steel bases which inherently weigh significantly more or build ballast into the existing base plate.  I prefer the latter two options since they mean less stuff to haul around but are also less adjustable if needed (i.e. you’re stuck with the weight you built them to even if it’s massive overkill).

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 10:41:35 AM »

Just be sure the head is actually mounted to the top plate and not just set there, otherwise it can move over time and eventually fall.

+1 on that and the use of steel base plates for the added weight.
Here is my solution for securing the head to the truss, I simply installed a pair of quick lock pins in the top plate to utilize the hanging bracket mounting mechanism built into all but the smallest movers. This is a tidy solution that has proven to do the job of keeping the heads securely in place.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 12:48:17 PM »

You can also extend the existing base plate with plywood (screwed on).
The stability is a function of both center of gravity and lever arm.
The ballast moves the cg down, and the width increases the ratio of cg height to tipping pivot point.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 12:48:17 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 20 queries.