ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for powered subwoofers to match up with Meyer CQ2 tops  (Read 1251 times)

kimstevenguibord

Greetings all:

Beside the covid delay .. I have been out of doing any sound gigs for a couple of years now.. I wanted to build a small rig.. I purchased (4) Meyer CQ2 cabs that are in great shape and sound very good.. I thought that Meyer 650p would be a good match.
I know that the CQ boxes are older and the 650p is also a older box and very hard to find .. just looking for suggestions on a powered box .. don't want to go cheap, but also do not want to sell the house just to purchase sub-woofers.

Thanks.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: Looking for powered subwoofers to match up with Meyer CQ2 tops
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 08:31:36 PM »

I know that the CQ boxes are older and the 650p is also a older box and very hard to find .. just looking for suggestions on a powered box .. don't want to go cheap, but also do not want to sell the house just to purchase sub-woofers.
Kim,

The Meyer 650P is a well built sub, but the 18" drivers used in it are equivalent in output to what are used in relatively cheap mid-line subs today. Something like the JBL SRX828P would be a step up from the 650P.

Art

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 03:20:28 PM »

Right now Solotech has 650-P subs on sale for <$700 each.  I understand from an associate that they do flat rate shipping that's very reasonable.  Maybe pull up their web shop and send them a message.

Kent Clasen

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 05:13:28 PM »

Right now Solotech has 650-P subs on sale for <$700 each.  I understand from an associate that they do flat rate shipping that's very reasonable.  Maybe pull up their web shop and send them a message.

Can confirm. I bought a pair of them. I *think* I got their last pair. I have a contact there that took good care of us- message me. They go with my pet project restoring UPA1C/USW1 system. Painted, test, and re-foamed grills [not shown]. Haven’t used outside of shop yet.

I have SRX828SP also but haven’t compared.

I believe the 650/CQ2 are in the same Meyer phase family, so would be a good match. 

Matthias McCready

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2021, 05:39:33 PM »

I believe the 650/CQ2 are in the same Meyer phase family, so would be a good match.

A Meyer Galileo Galaxy can make the other families happy with each other, but that is a large chunk of change in its own right.

---

Kim,

I REALLY enjoy working on a Meyer rig, and I have a soft spot for a CQ rig. When it comes to Meyer subs I will say that their newer subs are so MUCH better than the older ones. Granted 900's or 1100's, respectively, are not inexpensive, as you noted.

As an alternative option if those are out of budget; what about looking into a Bassboss or Danley sub?
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2021, 06:12:09 PM »

{...} They go with my pet project restoring UPA1C/USW1 system. Painted, test, and re-foamed grills [not shown]. {...}

Totally off-topic, but I came into a pair of UPA-1Cs and the foam has basically disintegrated. What did you use for replacement foam on yours?

-Russ

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2021, 07:16:19 PM »

Can confirm. I bought a pair of them. I *think* I got their last pair. I have a contact there that took good care of us- message me. They go with my pet project restoring UPA1C/USW1 system. Painted, test, and re-foamed grills [not shown]. Haven’t used outside of shop yet.

I have SRX828SP also but haven’t compared.

I always loved the USW tone.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Kent Clasen

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 09:22:46 PM »

Totally off-topic, but I came into a pair of UPA-1Cs and the foam has basically disintegrated. What did you use for replacement foam on yours?

-Russ

Hi Russ!

I used this foam:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0765BSRDH/ref=pe_386300_442618370_TE_dp_i1

With this from U Line on the grill top/bottom/side edges [not sure if I will glue to grill also]
VELCRO® BRAND TAPE STRIPS - HOOK, BLACK, 5/8" X 75'

And ordered Meyer badges. I can’t seem to lower the photo size of the cabinet pic at the moment.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 09:28:06 PM by Kent Clasen »

Kent Clasen

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 03:12:20 PM »

I always loved the USW tone.

Hi Doug!

So far I like them too!

It is quite possible you heard THESE actual UPA/USW…they had a inventory labels from a certain STL company you know of…I finally found all the analog processors and an amp rack arriving this week.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 03:12:20 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.