ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I am trying to figure out how to divide frequencies across 20hz to 20khz  (Read 648 times)

Kevin Maxwell

So you're looking to implement a 256 band EQ from 20-20K, similar to a 32 band GEQ except you'll have 256 bands?

I'll bet someone with under-the-hood (under-the-bonnet?) measurement chops can figure this out.  Fractional octave banding or some such.

Or check out this nifty chart from NTI:
https://www.nti-audio.com/portals/0/data/en/Fractional-Octave-Band-Filter.pdf

Thank you for that link. But today I found a website that has an ďOctave Divider utility makes this process easier. Simply enter the number of equal steps in the octave, and the utility will return a table containing the ratios for each scale degree.Ē I was then able to put those ratios into an Excel spreadsheet and come up with a way to calculate what I was looking for.

The wing actually has 960 frequencies on the channel EQs. I donít know if any of the other parametric EQs on the mixer are the same. I would bet that most digital consoles work the same way there are a limited number of frequencies (data points). So since it isnít infinitely variable in the frequencies that you can select would it actually be a 960 band para-graphic EQ with variable bandwidth (that also isnít infinite)? 

The reason for the fussiness is that Palladium is looking for an exact match when in learn mode and the user adjusts the frequency on the mixer so if I have enough data points I am more likely to get a close match. One of the problems is the number of OSC string that the mixer puts out is not consistent. It depends on how fast or slow the frequency knob is spun, too fast and it skips over a lot of frequencies so Palladium is less likely to see a match in the table. And it will remember a frequency that is farther off then one would like. If the user goes fast to get in the range where they want to be and then slows down to tweak it into where they really want it is much more likely to hit a frequency in the table. And if I have enough data points in that range I am likely to get an exact match or at least one that will be incredibly close. And good enough for this kind of usage.   

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: I am trying to figure out how to divide frequencies across 20hz to 20khz
¬ę Reply #10 on: June 20, 2021, 04:40:10 pm ¬Ľ

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 22 queries.