ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Avid SC48 Torx size for top panel?  (Read 894 times)

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
Avid SC48 Torx size for top panel?
« on: June 18, 2021, 09:34:47 AM »

I have to go over to a church this afternoon and open up their SC48 to change out the headphone jack, I want to be sure that I have the right size Torx bit to open it up. Does anyone know exactly what size bit fits the Torx screws? And what is that size? I ask that way because some wise guy (like me) might just answer yes.

I have opened it up before for other service I just don’t remember the bit size and I also recently had one of my Torx drivers spin in the handle (after opening something very stubborn up) so I was thinking of using a different driver with separate bits. But I don’t know if I have all of the possible sizes I would need for anything so I figured I would ask so I can be prepared to open it no matter what. And also put it back together.

I am also thinking of taking a battery powered driver with it set to extremely low torque to snug all of the screws down for reassembly. 

Scott Helmke

Re: Avid SC48 Torx size for top panel?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 09:48:34 AM »

It's not Torx, it's Allen.  Either 2mm or 1/16", and take both because you'll need them.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 10:53:38 AM »

I have to go over to a church this afternoon and open up their SC48 to change out the headphone jack, I want to be sure that I have the right size Torx bit to open it up. Does anyone know exactly what size bit fits the Torx screws? And what is that size? I ask that way because some wise guy (like me) might just answer yes.

I have opened it up before for other service I just don’t remember the bit size and I also recently had one of my Torx drivers spin in the handle (after opening something very stubborn up) so I was thinking of using a different driver with separate bits. But I don’t know if I have all of the possible sizes I would need for anything so I figured I would ask so I can be prepared to open it no matter what. And also put it back together.

I am also thinking of taking a battery powered driver with it set to extremely low torque to snug all of the screws down for reassembly.

The things I find in my Dropbox...  But... I think they substituted Torx in a production run.  Seems to me I taped a Torx wrench in the doghouse of our SC-48...

« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 10:56:40 AM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 11:21:46 AM »

Tim and Scott, Thank you. I have gathered together all of the drivers I think might be the ones that I might need (Torx and Allen) based on your replies. I think this one has the Torx if I am remembering correctly it has been a few years since I had it open. I'll report back later.

Also Tim I copied that SC48 fasteners.jpg to my Avid folder for future reference.

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 11:07:37 PM »

The SC48 in this church has Torx screws, T10. It took longer to change the headphone jack then I thought it would. I had help holding things in place. I think it would have taken a lot longer if I had to do it by myself.

After we were done the guy that helped me fired up the system and tested that it was all working correctly. He then tells me that he is only hearing one side in the headphones. It turned out that the adapter on the headphones was a T/S jack and not a T/R/S. All is well now. 

Thank you for your help.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 11:20:37 AM »

Thanks for the conclusion, Kevin.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 11:20:37 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.