ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New subs  (Read 2933 times)

Tracy Stewart

New subs
« on: June 19, 2021, 08:16:05 PM »

Hey everyone. In the market for new subs. I have used the srx828sp and they are very good. I am however looking at the rcf sub8006 and the Danley th-118. I am wondering if the price jump from jbl to the rcf or Danley is worth it. I am currently using 4 of the RCF SUB705AS which are fine for small events, but just lack the rumble of the 18" box.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 08:45:38 AM by Tracy Stewart »

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: New subs
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 09:28:42 PM »

I am wondering if the price jump from jbl to the rcf or Danley is worth it.

Hi Tracy, it would depend on your definition of “worth it”.  Above the SRX and similar product lines you really start buying to a performance point versus a price point.  What’s wrong with what you currently use?

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 09:34:53 PM »

Hey everyone. In the market for new subs. I have used the srx828sp and they are very good. I am however looking at the rcf sub8006 and the Danley th-118. I am wondering if the price jump from jbl to the rcf or Danley is worth it. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

The jump to TH118XL is definitely worth it. 
Sub 8006 - not so much. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Tracy Stewart

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 10:20:33 PM »

The jump to TH118XL is definitely worth it. 
Sub 8006 - not so much.

I am actually using 4 of the RCF SUB705AS right now.  They are ok, but the JBL SRX that I previously owned would stomp them.  So I am looking to at least go back to the JBL or higher. 

Tracy Stewart

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 10:23:39 PM »

I am actually using 4 of the RCF SUB705AS right now.  They are ok, but the JBL SRX that I previously owned would stomp them.  So I am looking to at least go back to the JBL or higher.
Yes, I have heard the Danleys and are very impressed.  I almost pulled the trigger on them on my last rig, but decided on the SRX828sp's.  I like the SRX boxes too, but dont mind spending a little more to get more performance.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 10:38:00 PM »

Yes, I have heard the Danleys and are very impressed.  I almost pulled the trigger on them on my last rig, but decided on the SRX828sp's.  I like the SRX boxes too, but dont mind spending a little more to get more performance.

I've heard the regular TH118s during a demo and was also impressed.  I agree with Caleb that they'd be a worthwhile step up, but to ask my question a different way, why are you itching for new subs?  What deficiency have you found with your current rig?

Switching out equipment is rarely a cheap venture and block of 4 TH118XLs plus amps will cost good money.  Is this investment something you're looking to make tangible return on (i.e. charge more for your service to provide) or is it for personal preference?  Can adding more SRX828ps get you where you need to be?  Doing so will be an order of magnitude cheaper than replacing the entire rig.  Hope this helps!

Tracy Stewart

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 08:42:35 AM »

I've heard the regular TH118s during a demo and was also impressed.  I agree with Caleb that they'd be a worthwhile step up, but to ask my question a different way, why are you itching for new subs?  What deficiency have you found with your current rig?

Switching out equipment is rarely a cheap venture and block of 4 TH118XLs plus amps will cost good money.  Is this investment something you're looking to make tangible return on (i.e. charge more for your service to provide) or is it for personal preference?  Can adding more SRX828ps get you where you need to be?  Doing so will be an order of magnitude cheaper than replacing the entire rig.  Hope this helps!

I agree its not cheap.  I am looking for that deeper bottom end.  Not really concerned at this point about ROI because I am in the process of building a small system that can do 1k crowds outdoors.  I just want to choose a system that will be scalable for future expansion.  One of the TH-118 should outperform the 4 RCF SUB705AS.  My previous rig had 2 srx828sp in it.  I sold out and am in the process of rebuilding.  So even If I started with a pair of those it would be incredible as compared to what I am using.

Rick Powell

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 12:22:54 PM »

On a par with the Danleys but a little less expensive would be the JTR Captivator 218 Pro (for its extended low end) or JTR Orbit Shifter Pro (for its punchy folded horn design). Both boxes are around the 140 dB range in max output and can be bought passive or powered.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 12:25:17 PM by Rick Powell »

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 03:16:33 PM »

I am in the process of building a small system that can do 1k crowds outdoors.
So even If I started with a pair of those it would be incredible as compared to what I am using.

If I were building a rig along these lines to truly play 1,000 people outdoors I’d want to start with a block of 4 118s right out of the gate.  As I’m not an owner I can’t comment how far you can push just a pair of TH-118s but having heard what a block of 4 sounds like in such an environment I wouldn’t want less.  Don’t forget about the coupling benefits you get when using multiple subs too...

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2021, 03:23:05 PM »

{...} Don’t forget about the coupling benefits you get when using multiple subs too...

Any benefits of using multiple subwoofers will depend a lot on deployment, and they start to taper off quickly if raw SPL is your goal (going from one sub to 2 will give you ~6 dB more output, but going from 3 subs to 4 is only a ~2 dB increase, and it only gets worse from there).

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2021, 03:23:05 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.