ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure SLXD or Sennheiser EW-D  (Read 12982 times)

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
Re: Shure SLXD or Sennheiser EW-D
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2021, 07:49:54 PM »

From the B&H listing:
"The receiver pairs with the transmitter via Bluetooth Low Energy from up to 120' away, enabling you to quickly pair the mic directly from the stage without having to bring it close to the receiver"

So, at some level, yeah, basically.

-Russ
No it doesn't
I was getting around 25' but that's about as far away as I could get without leaving the room, and totally lost connection once I did that.  Using an older model iPhone so quite possibly my blutooth implementation on that.
I had the receivers in the orchestra pit but could go far backstage into a separate building where the dressing rooms were and connect bluetooth the the transmitters.  Make adjustments and settings and then when going back to the stage building could update receivers as needed.
You need to have the bluetooth connection as there are absolutely no settings that can be made on the transmitters with local buttons.  It was nice to be able to change channels, gain and mute/pwr locks without pulling the TX out of the costumed performers pack holding belt, remove the "condoms" they were using as sweat guards and fiddling with tiny controls on a TX in a hurried rush between scenes.
One other nice feature that TX's have is that it will remember your power/mute lock settings across battery removal/replace.  Not that we ever had to as the rechargeable lasted at least 8-hours no problem.  But in testing you could eject the li-ion battery and swap in normal AA's and the pack would immediately come right back on without having to deal with the power switch -great for backstage minions fast-swapping without having to have wireless systems knowledge.
I am thinking of setting up a permanent tablet in the wireless rack that I can VNC into for over-the-network control and monitoring.  My control booth was 120' away from the RX rack and I ended up using an HD PTZ cam to remotely monitor RX displays to see front panel status.  (Which was necessary as there was some serious reception "birthing pains" in deploying this new system!)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2021, 08:28:02 PM »

No it doesn't
I was getting around 25' but that's about as far away as I could get without leaving the room, and totally lost connection once I did that.  Using an older model iPhone so quite possibly my blutooth implementation on that. {...}

That's not surprising; Bluetooth is 2.4 GHz, so 120' is going to be a best-case scenario, with no congestion and full line-of-sight (it's possible that modern chipsets perform better, too).

{...} You need to have the bluetooth connection as there are absolutely no settings that can be made on the transmitters with local buttons. {...}

That's mildly terrifying.

{...} One other nice feature that TX's have is that it will remember your power/mute lock settings across battery removal/replace.  {...} you could eject the li-ion battery and swap in normal AA's and the pack would immediately come right back on without having to deal with the power switch {...}

For what it's worth, this is also true of all G3 and G4 Evolution TXs (and I think probably G2 as well, although it's been a while).

-Russ

Andrien (No Last Name)

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2021, 01:02:10 PM »

No it doesn't
I was getting around 25' but that's about as far away as I could get without leaving the room, and totally lost connection once I did that.  Using an older model iPhone so quite possibly my blutooth implementation on that.
I had the receivers in the orchestra pit but could go far backstage into a separate building where the dressing rooms were and connect bluetooth the the transmitters.  Make adjustments and settings and then when going back to the stage building could update receivers as needed.
You need to have the bluetooth connection as there are absolutely no settings that can be made on the transmitters with local buttons.  It was nice to be able to change channels, gain and mute/pwr locks without pulling the TX out of the costumed performers pack holding belt, remove the "condoms" they were using as sweat guards and fiddling with tiny controls on a TX in a hurried rush between scenes.
One other nice feature that TX's have is that it will remember your power/mute lock settings across battery removal/replace.  Not that we ever had to as the rechargeable lasted at least 8-hours no problem.  But in testing you could eject the li-ion battery and swap in normal AA's and the pack would immediately come right back on without having to deal with the power switch -great for backstage minions fast-swapping without having to have wireless systems knowledge.
I am thinking of setting up a permanent tablet in the wireless rack that I can VNC into for over-the-network control and monitoring.  My control booth was 120' away from the RX rack and I ended up using an HD PTZ cam to remotely monitor RX displays to see front panel status.  (Which was necessary as there was some serious reception "birthing pains" in deploying this new system!)

It would be great if they provide a hub that can transmit the BLE over Ethernet (Like Showlink, which use same freq though uses zigbee which allows multiple mesh antenna), but so far no comments from their last seminar :-\

There is another seminar showing on 20th Aug wonder what product they will release again. Maybe someone could try making a BLE Repeater network using Rasberry PI, that would be fun.

Marc Gort

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2022, 12:17:16 PM »

Hi everyone, I am currently having the exact same 'luxury' problem. We are currently in the process of purchasing multiple wireless systems/handhelds. (budget for 4x SLX-D or EW-D) with the possibility of expansion in the future. We currently have three EW100G4 beltpack systems.

In my opinion, the SLX-D can be considered a more mature/professional system than the EW-D. The docking station, WWB, Ethernet and dual receivers are the main advantages. But my feeling is that the sennheiser will offer better quality. It has a better choice of microphone capsules in my opinion (I'm a fan of the E945/65) and it has lower latency (1.4ms less). In addition, the bluetooth connection between transmitter and receiver/app is both an advantage and a disadvantage.
Do the better capsules (in my opinion) from sennheiser outweigh the major benefits that shure has to offer?

It is a very difficult choice. Both systems compete directly with each other. Do you guys have experience with either system or have a direct comparison between the two?

Thanks in advance!
Greetings, Marc

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2022, 01:13:54 PM »

Please change to your real name per the forum rules.  No answers until you do.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber