ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure SLX issues? Kept dropping audio during show.  (Read 11764 times)

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
Re: Shure SLX issues? Kept dropping audio during show.
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2021, 03:21:48 PM »

What is the make and model of the "booster"?  If you can, please post a photo of the connections.

Jason, it's an "off brand" unit that I picked up a few years ago...

Or, I could however just do away with the booster/Paddles and replace it with 1/2' wave antennas if this would be a better option??

Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2021, 03:27:26 PM »

Jason will respond once he removes his head from his hands and has a shot of Bourbon.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 03:30:26 PM »

Jason will respond once he removes his head from his hands and has a shot of Bourbon.

LOL, that bad uh? lol

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2021, 03:31:42 PM »

Indeed.

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2021, 03:36:45 PM »

Jason, it's an "off brand" unit that I picked up a few years ago...

Or, I could however just do away with the booster/Paddles and replace it with 1/2' wave antennas if this would be a better option??

Scavenge the panel, the bulkhead BNC's, and the cables, BUT THROW THOSE TEES IN THE GARBAGE IMMEDIATELY.

I'm sorry, but there is so much wrong with this setup.

You showed a picture of a Shure UA844+ and a pair of PA874 antennas, but you say that they're off-brand. Does that mean that they look like the Shure stuff but that they're fake?

Anyway, the right way to do this job is to add a genuine Shure UA844+ antenna splitter (this is not called a booster), a pair of PA874 or PA805 antennas, and I strongly suggest that you don't build your own coax cables if you're not intimately familiar with VNA or frequency sweep testing.

Edit: another acceptable setup, especially if you desire a turnkey kit on a shoestring budget, is the RF Venue Distro4 bundle, which comes with all of the cables and antennas.  I'm not a giant fan of the antenna that comes with this kit, but it is a huge improvement over whips and should do the job for your application.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1049152-REG/rfvenue_dfindistro4_4_channel_distribution_with.html
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 03:53:53 PM by Jason Glass »

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2021, 04:01:52 PM »

Scavenge the panel, the bulkhead BNC's, and the cables, BUT THROW THOSE TEES IN THE GARBAGE IMMEDIATELY.

I'm sorry, but there is so much wrong with this setup.

You showed a picture of a Shure UA844+ and a pair of PA874 antennas, but you say that they're off-brand. Does that mean that they look like the Shure stuff but that they're fake?

Anyway, the right way to do this job is to add a genuine Shure UA844+ antenna splitter (this is not called a booster), a pair of PA874 or PA805 antennas, and I strongly suggest that you don't build your own coax cables if you're not intimately familiar with VNA or frequency sweep testing.

Jason,
Correct, off brand meaning the antenna booster and paddles were purchased from ebay, not from Shure or any authorized dealer. So again, I could try first separating the Paddles from the rack and mounting them on a mic stand away from the Wireless rack (and the wifi router) pictured above and see if that helps....

If it doesn't, then I would like to go with this photo but replace the Tee fittings as you mentioned (If I do go with this setup, what proper Tee fittings do you recommend, if any?)

Edit: another acceptable setup, especially if you desire a turnkey kit on a shoestring budget, is the RF Venue Distro4 bundle, which comes with all of the cables and antennas.  I'm not a giant fan of the antenna that comes with this kit, but it is a huge improvement over whips and should do the job for your application.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1049152-REG/rfvenue_dfindistro4_4_channel_distribution_with.html

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2021, 04:03:26 PM »

Sam, that was pretty funny!  :)

For you, antenna's are electrically tuned and essentially resonate within a frequency band they are designed for.  That tuning, carries through the system via the coax, through the connectors and to the front-end of the receiver.  The basic concept is referred to as impedance.

The whack-a-doodle panel with all the BNC connectors in it is an electrical nightmare.  Each connection inserted into the cable transmission line nets around a -6db signal loss.  Could be only -3db, and I may get "corrected" here - but it's a significant loss of signal and is compounded in each line with each insertion point.  -3db = 50% signal degradation or loss.

Keep working with it and asking questions, you'll get if figured out.

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2021, 04:28:11 PM »

Sam,

The greater point is that there is no such thing as a cheap BNC tee that is appropriate for pro audio wireless.

The way to properly passively split a signal is usually (in our applications) what is known as a Wilkinson divider.  These can range from a simple two-way split, all the way up to dozens of splits, but as with all passive components there will be the penalty of losses.  Active antenna splitters contain passive Wilkinson dividers and make up for their loss with whatever specific amount of amplification is needed, and they're so expensive because they have to remain linear and not generate a bunch of noise like off-brand fakes do.

This is the closest thing you'll find to the proper equivalent of a two-way tee that is properly impedance matched, has an appropriate 3dB loss, and will pass DC bias to your active antennas.  They cost $141 per pair.
 https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/accessories/ua221. If you use passive antennas, there are less expensive options that don't pass DC.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 04:34:38 PM by Jason Glass »

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2021, 05:10:18 PM »

Sam,

The greater point is that there is no such thing as a cheap BNC tee that is appropriate for pro audio wireless.

The way to properly passively split a signal is usually (in our applications) what is known as a Wilkinson divider.  These can range from a simple two-way split, all the way up to dozens of splits, but as with all passive components there will be the penalty of losses.  Active antenna splitters contain passive Wilkinson dividers and make up for their loss with whatever specific amount of amplification is needed, and they're so expensive because they have to remain linear and not generate a bunch of noise like off-brand fakes do.

This is the closest thing you'll find to the proper equivalent of a two-way tee that is properly impedance matched, has an appropriate 3dB loss, and will pass DC bias to your active antennas.  They cost $141 per pair.
 https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/accessories/ua221. If you use passive antennas, there are less expensive options that don't pass DC.

I see. Noted and thank you.

As mentioned, I'll try first with separating the Paddles from the wireless rack and use the longer coax cables to get it further away from that rack and see if that helps.

If not, then I dont mind spending money on those Shure split connectors.
Thank you.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2021, 05:28:39 PM »

I see. Noted and thank you.

As mentioned, I'll try first with separating the Paddles from the wireless rack and use the longer coax cables to get it further away from that rack and see if that helps.

If not, then I dont mind spending money on those Shure split connectors.
Thank you.

I would not start off assuming your antenna distribution is a fake, I'd use it as described in the SLX user guide. What needs to go are the T connections. With the distribution wired correctly and the paddles remoted on 25' cables you should be good to go.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2021, 05:28:39 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.