ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure SLX issues? Kept dropping audio during show.  (Read 11958 times)

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
Shure SLX issues? Kept dropping audio during show.
« on: June 18, 2021, 01:36:48 PM »

Hey everyone,
Hoping to get some different ideas on as to why my SLX wireless Shure mics kept dropping audio during my most recent event. Mics were about 15-20 and in line of site of the performers, nothing in the way except 3 mic stands and it kept cutting out at the top of the show... I ended up wiring up 2 mics to replace the wireless mics on the first two songs. It kept switching from Antenna A  to and Antenna B constantly on both of my SLX's  that were being used by the lead vocalist (I have 4 total that day 2 for leads vox, 2 for the B/U vox)

I changed the group, changed the channels and still had issues switching from A to B antennas.. I do have an external antenna booster, not sure of that was the issue or not. These units are NOT in the 600mhz freq ranges..

I didn't seem to have this issue on more recent events, not sure what changed or what I can do to better the situation?

Mounted inside the rack is my Wifi router (5g) which shouldn't pose an issue?

Your thoughts?

Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
Re: Shure SLX issues? Kept dropping audio during show.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 01:46:17 PM »

Hey everyone,
Hoping to get some different ideas on as to why my SLX wireless Shure mics kept dropping audio during my most recent event. Mics were about 15-20 and in line of site of the performers, nothing in the way except 3 mic stands and it kept cutting out at the top of the show... I ended up wiring up 2 mics to replace the wireless mics on the first two songs. It kept switching from Antenna A  to and Antenna B constantly on both of my SLX's  that were being used by the lead vocalist (I have 4 total that day 2 for leads vox, 2 for the B/U vox)

I changed the group, changed the channels and still had issues switching from A to B antennas.. I do have an external antenna booster, not sure of that was the issue or not. These units are NOT in the 600mhz freq ranges..

I didn't seem to have this issue on more recent events, not sure what changed or what I can do to better the situation?

Mounted inside the rack is my Wifi router (5g) which shouldn't pose an issue?

Your thoughts?

RX antennas right next an AP = bad.  Active RX antennas right next to an AP = really bad.  That's just the first possibility of the cause.  Your RX antennas are less than one wavelength apart.  Your RX antennas are way too close to your TX antennas, and pointed right at them.  Boosters are only used to make up for for losses from extremely long coax, and have no place in a rig like this one.  These things often add up to failure modes.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 01:56:08 PM by Jason Glass »

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 02:20:49 PM »

Adding to Jason, the 1/4 wave antennas on SLX receivers have given me nothing but problems.  Replacing them with 1/2 wave antennas helps a bit. Replacing them with an antenna distribution system and paddle antennas makes them reliable.

Personally, I'd look into replacing the SLX systems completely. The audio quality just isn't all that great.  Until you move to another system, you may not realize how bad they really are.
Brian Jojade

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 02:26:22 PM »

Adding to Jason, the 1/4 wave antennas on SLX receivers have given me nothing but problems.

I could be wrong, but it appears that the whips are PSM300 TX antennas, which the PA874 RX are pointed at.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 02:37:36 PM »

As has been stated, having those antenna's in the proximity they are is a worst case for range reduction.  Simply rotating the lower set to point towards the ground at a 45 degree angle and the upper pair pointing upwards at a 45 degree angle, with the lower/upper perpendicular to one another would net a gain in the current case orientation of the receivers.  Multiple antenna's should never be parallel to one another.

I always junk the 1/6 wave antenna's too and install 1/2 wave.  I posted about antenna proximity with multiple receivers in one rack a couple of months ago and got some good suggestions.  In the case for me, it's two ULXS receivers in a single case for a DJ system.  There I used short 12" BNC connectors and put one pair of antennas for one of the receivers in the front of the case and the other pair at the rear of the case.

Switching over to longer 1/2 wave and relocating relocating the antenna's should help out a bunch.  As you probably don't want to throw the whole lot into the trash can and start over.  (yes I know they could be sold and upgraded)

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2021, 02:47:28 PM »

RX antennas right next an AP = bad.  Active RX antennas right next to an AP = really bad.  That's just the first possibility of the cause.  Your RX antennas are less than one wavelength apart.  Your RX antennas are way too close to your TX antennas, and pointed right at them.  Boosters are only used to make up for for losses from extremely long coax, and have no place in a rig like this one.  These things often add up to failure modes.

Hi Jason, thanks for your reply and info. I appreciate it.
I'm not too savy with the terms mentioned (such as when you said AP, not sure what that means...) please forgive me...

Given from your information I can do away with the booster and remove that, I can place the 1/4 wave antennas back on the SLX receivers  and separate the PSM300 in ear monitor system to another rack... I'm hoping this would help?

Thanks.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2021, 02:52:48 PM »

I could be wrong, but it appears that the whips are PSM300 TX antennas, which the PA874 RX are pointed at.

I wanted to keep everything in a tight rack and pre wired to make things easier for load in and out, less connections. If you dont think this could work, please let me know. I'm all for learning new things. I appreciate your time.

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 02:55:40 PM »

Hi Jason, thanks for your reply and info. I appreciate it.
I'm not too savy with the terms mentioned (such as when you said AP, not sure what that means...) please forgive me...

Given from your information I can do away with the booster and remove that, I can place the 1/4 wave antennas back on the SLX receivers  and separate the PSM300 in ear monitor system to another rack... I'm hoping this would help?

Thanks.

Hi Sam,

AP = wireless Wi-Fi access point

You might be able to just use 25 ft coax and put your paddles on stands 10 ft away from the existing rack.  How are you splitting the coax from the two paddles into the four SLX receivers?

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2021, 03:04:29 PM »

Hi Sam,

AP = wireless Wi-Fi access point

You might be able to just use 25 ft coax and put your paddles on stands 10 ft away from the existing rack.  How are you splitting the coax from the two paddles into the four SLX receivers?

Ahhh, I see. Yes I can always place the paddles in a different area and separate them from the rack.

The current SLX receivers are going into a antenna booster which they are connected from the back of the 4 SLX units to the "booster" inputs, from there the booster has an A side and B side which is where the short little coax cables I made go to the paddles. Again, wanting to keep it tight and neat, but apparently not very good for reliability and use.. lol

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2021, 03:06:31 PM »

Ahhh, I see. Yes I can always place the paddles in a different area and separate them from the rack.

The current SLX receivers are going into a antenna booster which they are connected from the back of the 4 SLX units to the "booster" inputs, from there the booster has an A side and B side which is where the short little coax cables I made go to the paddles. Again, wanting to keep it tight and neat, but apparently not very good for reliability and use.. lol

What is the make and model of the "booster"?  If you can, please post a photo of the connections.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2021, 03:06:31 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 26 queries.