ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Locating IEM transmitter antenna question.  (Read 141 times)

Kevin Maxwell

Locating IEM transmitter antenna question.
« on: August 25, 2021, 11:17:02 AM »

I am doing some work in a small church and they have a few IEM transmitters, we are going to add an antenna combiner and a remote passive paddle antenna. The equipment rack is in the sanctuary just under one of the large screen LED TVs I think they are 72” versions. Not a commercial TV. I would like to hide the Antenna because to walls are white and the antenna is black. With a 10’ cable for the antenna combiner to the antenna I can get it behind the TV and still have a clean shot across the stage. I was planning on testing it with a signal going thru to the IEMs and moving the antenna around to see if it interferes with the TV. And also see if it has any impact on the IEM receivers.

Do any RF experts on here have any comments? I have already run this by someone I do a lot of work for that has a lot of RF experience and oversees a local radio station and has done a lot of work in other stations over the years.     

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Locating IEM transmitter antenna question.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2021, 11:40:43 AM »

I am doing some work in a small church and they have a few IEM transmitters, we are going to add an antenna combiner and a remote passive paddle antenna. The equipment rack is in the sanctuary just under one of the large screen LED TVs I think they are 72” versions. Not a commercial TV. I would like to hide the Antenna because to walls are white and the antenna is black. With a 10’ cable for the antenna combiner to the antenna I can get it behind the TV and still have a clean shot across the stage. I was planning on testing it with a signal going thru to the IEMs and moving the antenna around to see if it interferes with the TV. And also see if it has any impact on the IEM receivers.

Do any RF experts on here have any comments? I have already run this by someone I do a lot of work for that has a lot of RF experience and oversees a local radio station and has done a lot of work in other stations over the years.     

My gut tells me that the IEM transmitters will have no effect on the TV. Those things are desigened to withstand a pretty good bit of RF radiation and the transmit power on IEM transmitters is pretty low. I'd be more concerned about RF noise coming off the TV affecting the IEMs with intermod artifacts. But the best way to find out is to try it and see what you get. It would be ideal if you have or could borrow an RF analyzer so that you'd know more than just "well i tried it and it worked" since that doesn't really tell you if you've actually raised the RF noise floor that the IEM receivers are contending with to just below the threshold where there will be issues that of course will then rear their ugly head once you put the packs on actual humans when the band gets there.

Keep us posted on how it goes. I'm genuinely curious.

"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
bdmaudio@gmail.com

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2021, 11:56:09 AM »

You can also paint the antenna white, as well as any exposed black cable.

Mac

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 12:18:08 PM »

You can also paint the antenna white, as well as any exposed black cable.

Mac

Lead based paint?  ;) Just kidding

ProSoundWeb Community

ยซ Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 12:18:08 PM ยป

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.