ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Presonus 32sx or M32 preference?  (Read 4776 times)

Douglas R. Allen

Re: Presonus 32sx or M32 preference?
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2021, 05:57:28 AM »

M32R user. A local band has one of the Presonus 32S desks. I believe it is the 32S as it can only do 32 channels where I believe the newer ones can do 64.  I thought it sounded fine for what it is. I didn't care for the "feel" of the desk though. Hard to explain but just moving around it seemed odd to me. At first I thought I was just not used to it but it wasn't that. I liked my M32R right out of the gate. The normal patching / setup time to get things up and running the way I wanted but otherwise for me a quick change over from the 01v96 I had before.
  Which ever desk you determine is right for you look up Mike Pyle and others here for pricing. You may find some very good deals! Just post a WTB ( wanting to buy ) in the sales section here.
  Best of luck with your search and let us know what you end up with and your thoughts on it.

Douglas R. Allen

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2021, 07:18:38 AM »

If controlling a mixer remotely with an iPad APP will be a big part of what you do the Allen Heath apps are far better than the X/M32, Soundcraft and the Presonus apps.

I've never used any of the third party Mix Station apps.
Head in hands - Mixing Station is where it's at with X/M 32 (as well as QU and Si).  Not pretty, but hugely functional, infinitely customisable, well supported, and platform agnostic.  Sadly not (yet) available for SQ.

If this is for your own rig, get what you want to mix on. If it will see a rotating door of others, get an m32.
This pretty much summarises it.

And to everyon's comments about sound quality - for the majority of churches the sound quality issues will overwhelmingly be with the talent, the room, and the operator - the desk & PA really won't be the limiting factor...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 07:20:41 AM by Alec Spence »

Matthias McCready

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 12:54:14 PM »

And to everyon's comments about sound quality - for the majority of churches the sound quality issues will overwhelmingly be with the talent, the room, and the operator - the desk & PA really won't be the limiting factor...

+100
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Ed Taylor

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2021, 02:05:32 PM »

X32/M32 user mostly , but also regularly behind a SQ series desk. No experience with the Presonus consoles.

I don't completely get the question. Are you looking for a new console for your own rig or looking to update the church setup?

sorry I wasn't clear.  I'm looking to be more marketable to larger production shops and churches this year.

Seems there is a high and growing demand and easy money at good day-rates.
both the larger sound shops that would use me for smaller stage stuff, have the M22, as does a number of churches in the area that have upgraded this past year.

For my personal small events rig, I'm still running old studiolive 24 rigs...I know them, they work, they are long ago paid for.

In fact I was pleased last year when I was asked to mix a church that had the new presonus 32sx, that I could record (Capture) on that board to the built in SD card feature. Take the SD card home, load it into my mac, firewire that back into the old studio live 24 to post mix  and drop box the end result back to the church.  So aside from old n paid for on my small shows, it has been nice to know that I can still utilize the older gear like that.

I don't "need" an M32 in my tool box, but I definitely want to be up to speed on them, and having one that I put in use on my rig might make me that much better for when I'm hiring out for day work.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2021, 10:13:07 PM »

The M32 is the status quo for just about anyone. Most any band will accept it, and most any engineer can walk up to it and use it. The Presonus stuff is very nice too though, but not quite as popular or as excepted in the " for hire " field. I would go for the option with the highest staying power. I see the M/X32 format as being very stable and not being outmoded any time soon. The Presonus " studiolive " series has gone through several updates over the years with perhaps at least three different variations. That doesn't factor in the models that have features that others in the same lineup do not ( motorized vs non-motorized faders for instance ). My fear with the Presonus offerings was that I would pay good money for a basic digital mixer and a year or two later they would give it a serious update making my purchase hurt even more. They seem to have done this at least 3 times
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2021, 08:50:22 AM »

I came from an older Presonus board and now use an M32R.  I can't speak to the newer Presonus boards, but the sound and layout of my board is far better that the Presonus stuff.  The Preamps seem clearer and I can push the board harder.  I highly recommend the Mixing Station app.  The Midas app works great, but there is something about the custom layouts that makes the app shine beyond belief!  For less that 10 bucks, it's a no brainer for any board the app supports.  MHO

John Lackner

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2021, 12:12:55 AM »

M32R user. A local band has one of the Presonus 32S desks. I believe it is the 32S as it can only do 32 channels where I believe the newer ones can do 64.  I thought it sounded fine for what it is. I didn't care for the "feel" of the desk though. Hard to explain but just moving around it seemed odd to me. At first I thought I was just not used to it but it wasn't that. I liked my M32R right out of the gate. The normal patching / setup time to get things up and running the way I wanted but otherwise for me a quick change over from the 01v96 I had before.
  Which ever desk you determine is right for you look up Mike Pyle and others here for pricing. You may find some very good deals! Just post a WTB ( wanting to buy ) in the sales section here.
  Best of luck with your search and let us know what you end up with and your thoughts on it.

Douglas R. Allen
I like the "ecosystem" that comes with the SL3 - one click multi-track recording with Capture, Seamless connectivity with the Studio One DAW that it comes with, etc. Great board if recording is also important. My big nitpick - you can't store a showfile on a SD card or USB stick and copy it to another mixer, though I heard it can be done with a laptop or tablet.
Do you HEAR what you SEE? "Listen with your eyes, look with your ears" - Captain Beefheart

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2021, 03:30:06 PM »

I wouldn't have a problem with the X/M32 platform, but today you'd be remiss not to investigate the Allen and Heath offerings. Their digital stuff is becoming widely accepted even in the big-boy markets. For very good reasons too.

I wouldn't pee on a Presonus unit if it was on fire. Personally I've never used a piece of presonus gear that wasn't broken in some way.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mal Brown

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2021, 09:53:48 PM »

Another contender in the 32 ch space is the Mackie DL-32r.  Now that Danny Olesh is there,I am super interested to see what he is able to achieve.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

John Bosco

• Haddam, CT - USA
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2021, 09:09:40 AM »

I came from an older Presonus board and now use an M32R.  I can't speak to the newer Presonus boards, but the sound and layout of my board is far better that the Presonus stuff. 

I work with a band that has an older Presonus board, I could always get a clean mix out of it, however I could never find a way to EQ the aux/monitor sends without using outboard EQs and to me, no EQ on the monitors is a hard NO.
"All I want is a good sandwich. You see this sandwhich here? This tuna sandwhich? That's all I want, a good sandwich." - John  Gotti

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2021, 09:09:40 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.