ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Non-music related router question/advice  (Read 2815 times)

Steven Cohen

Re: Non-music related router question/advice
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2021, 02:31:05 PM »

Really? What about all the current incumbents; Part 25 satellite up/down links, Part 101 fixed microwave, Part 74 Broadcast Auxiliary, Part 78 Cable Relay?
Henry,

Would it be a more accurate statement to say "Some may have the part of the 6Ghz spectrum that WiFi 6E offers to themselves in their homes until their neighbors catch up?" Or, are you stating that everyone will have interference from all or some of the current RF sources you mentioned?

I have been waiting to update my home WiFi system to V-6E as my close in proximity neighbors (attached townhouses) use internet provider APs and it will probably take several years for them to get new hardware. I also need a new cell phone and am waiting for the Iphone 13 in September to make the switch. I Assume the next Iphone will have a 6E radio.

Are you stating that WiFi 6E will not help me with RF congestion due to the RF traffic you mentioned?

I can probably borrow a spectrum analyzer to find out what RF traffic is in my home if needed but 2.4 Ghz is full and before I spend the money on a 5Ghz mesh. I thought a 6Ghz solution may have given me more options.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 02:34:17 PM by Steven Cohen »

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2021, 11:52:29 PM »

{...} Are you stating that WiFi 6E will not help me with RF congestion due to the RF traffic you mentioned? {...}

Regardless of existing primary users (5 GHz has them, too), I think the more important question is whether 6E will actually get you anything more than 5 GHz currently can, and in your case my guess is that the answer would be "no". It's important to remember that (indoors and in the US) the 5GHz Wi-Fi band has literally nine times more spectrum than the 2.4 GHz band, which results in both larger channel bandwidths and less congestion (both of which lead to significantly higher throughputs).

In my mind, 6E is going to be most useful in a university lecture hall (with 10 laptops and 10 cellphones for every 100 square feet), or maybe in a cluster of high-rise apartment buildings (where you can easily count over 100 separate APs on a "good" night). Outside of these sorts of extreme situations I'd be surprised if 6E brings any practical benefits to the table.

-Russ

Steven Cohen

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2021, 10:11:36 AM »

Regardless of existing primary users (5 GHz has them, too), I think the more important question is whether 6E will actually get you anything more than 5 GHz currently can, and in your case my guess is that the answer would be "no". It's important to remember that (indoors and in the US) the 5GHz Wi-Fi band has literally nine times more spectrum than the 2.4 GHz band, which results in both larger channel bandwidths and less congestion (both of which lead to significantly higher throughputs).

In my mind, 6E is going to be most useful in a university lecture hall (with 10 laptops and 10 cellphones for every 100 square feet), or maybe in a cluster of high-rise apartment buildings (where you can easily count over 100 separate APs on a "good" night). Outside of these sorts of extreme situations I'd be surprised if 6E brings any practical benefits to the table.

-Russ

Good point. There are plenty of open 5Ghz channels available in my home. I just need to up my game with a mesh.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2021, 01:34:51 PM »

I just installed a TP Link router (mesh-capable), centrally located in the walkout lower level. I'm just using it stand-alone.

Its signal is excellent on the main floor above and still plenty strong in all corners of the upstairs. Most of the house is brick/stone, FWIW, about 3,000 sf finished and another 1500 sf or so in the lower level.

Installation was a breeze. As long as the WAN port is connected to the Internet before first boot, there should be no surprises. WPA3 encryption. A discontinued model, $40 + tax on amazon.

Dave

The ' Installation was a breeze' part is a huge draw for me - LOL..... this sounds like a good option. Thanks Dave.

Can I get the model??
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2021, 03:42:20 PM »

The ' Installation was a breeze' part is a huge draw for me {...}

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is security. Everyone has different standards, but I personally would be wary of using just about any consumer-oriented wireless router in an Internet-facing role. Then again, I'm also wary of the privacy implications of cloud-configured network devices, so I'm definitely in the minority.

-Russ

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2021, 06:25:16 PM »

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is security. Everyone has different standards, but I personally would be wary of using just about any consumer-oriented wireless router in an Internet-facing role. Then again, I'm also wary of the privacy implications of cloud-configured network devices, so I'm definitely in the minority.

-Russ

I mentioned it in my original post ... I would prefer that to be a factor.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2021, 10:34:14 AM »

The ' Installation was a breeze' part is a huge draw for me - LOL..... this sounds like a good option. Thanks Dave.

Can I get the model??

Absolutely!  This is the one I purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N1L5HX1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Dave

...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2021, 11:58:04 AM »

Would it be a more accurate statement to say "Some may have the part of the 6Ghz spectrum that WiFi 6E offers to themselves in their homes until their neighbors catch up?"

Yes, much more accurate. My point was that there are no RF bands without incumbents (<50GHz to 60GHz at this time, and in a year I'll likely revise that to <90GHz); they're simply incumbent services with which you may not be familiar.

Are you stating that WiFi 6E will not help me with RF congestion due to the RF traffic you mentioned?

As with most radio bands newly opened to emerging technologies, the early adopters will experience little to no congestion from like technology and users until that point where critical mass occurs and the spectrum becomes saturated with users.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Thomas Le

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2021, 12:56:50 PM »

Debbie, are you referring to the UAP AC M in your first post? In standalone mode with a "dumb router" as the DHCP server, it works well for wireless mixing.

I'll be the guy here to say that I got a overkill ubiquiti setup at home with a UAP AC LR and the nanoHD on opposite sides of the house. On the router side, I recently upgraded from the ER-X to the ER-X SFP mainly because it has passive POE for the AC LR. Controller is running on a CKg2.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2021, 12:56:50 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.