Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

Non-music related router question/advice

<< < (2/5) > >>

Dave Pluke:

--- Quote from: Debbie Dunkley on June 17, 2021, 01:17:59 AM ---....so any  suggestions?

--- End quote ---

I just installed a TP Link router (mesh-capable), centrally located in the walkout lower level. I'm just using it stand-alone.

Its signal is excellent on the main floor above and still plenty strong in all corners of the upstairs. Most of the house is brick/stone, FWIW, about 3,000 sf finished and another 1500 sf or so in the lower level.

Installation was a breeze. As long as the WAN port is connected to the Internet before first boot, there should be no surprises. WPA3 encryption. A discontinued model, $40 + tax on amazon.

Dave

Debbie Dunkley:
Thanks for the helpful comments and suggestions so far.... as an added piece of information, I have been using a wi-fi range extender in the room farthest from where the router is located - as reception can be spotty in there - and had hoped to be able to not have to use it anymore but not a big deal if it still has to be relied upon. The router is downstairs in a cupboard towards one end of the home and the room in question is upstairs on the other end of the home so worst case scenario.

Steven Cohen:
I brought this up in the wireless forum here a few months ago, what does everyone think about WiFi 6E?

In theory, one should have the whole 6Ghz to themselves for a while. Yes, one would need devices with WiFi 6E radios along with the appropriate numbers of access points, repeaters, ect, but in a crowded WiFi environment, seems like a good solution for a few years until the neighbors catch up.

Erik Jerde:

--- Quote from: Steven Cohen on June 19, 2021, 10:52:22 AM ---I brought this up in the wireless forum here a few months ago, what does everyone think about WiFi 6E?

In theory, one should have the whole 6Ghz to themselves for a while. Yes, one would need devices with WiFi 6E radios along with the appropriate numbers of access points, repeaters, ect, but in a crowded WiFi environment, seems like a good solution for a few years until the neighbors catch up.

--- End quote ---

6E would be a worthwhile upgrade if you have devices that use it and are in a congested environment or move around a lot of data.  I doubt people are moving that much data on phones yet phones are likely to be the first devices people have that can use it.  The congestion win wont last for more than a year or two Id bet and will be expensive during that time.

Henry Cohen:

--- Quote from: Steven Cohen on June 19, 2021, 10:52:22 AM ---I brought this up in the wireless forum here a few months ago, what does everyone think about WiFi 6E?

In theory, one should have the whole 6Ghz to themselves for a while.
--- End quote ---

Really? What about all the current incumbents; Part 25 satellite up/down links, Part 101 fixed microwave, Part 74 Broadcast Auxiliary, Part 78 Cable Relay?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version