Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

Non-music related router question/advice

(1/5) > >>

Debbie Dunkley:
Its time to get a new router for the home.  2 story 3000sq ft.
My Cisco E3000 must be 10 years old now and has been great but technology has moved on and Id like better security too. It was very easy to set up from what I remember but more recently the WAP I purchased for my remote mixing purposes - Ubiquiti mesh- was not so easy and I had to ask for assistance here to get it configured ( thank you Frank) - Id rather not have to put him through that again - LOL.....
You guys here know more about this stuff than anyone so this is my first port of call for advice ....so any  suggestions?

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Debbie Dunkley on June 17, 2021, 01:17:59 am ---Its time to get a new router for the home.  2 story 3000sq ft.
My Cisco E3000 must be 10 years old now and has been great but technology has moved on and Id like better security too. It was very easy to set up from what I remember but more recently the WAP I purchased for my remote mixing purposes - Ubiquiti mesh- was not so easy and I had to ask for assistance here to get it configured ( thank you Frank) - Id rather not have to put him through that again - LOL.....
You guys here know more about this stuff than anyone so this is my first port of call for advice ....so any  suggestions?

--- End quote ---

You can put me through it.  It's not that hard.  Ubiquity has released some real clunker software releases lately.  Let me see if I have some Rukus mesh left over from an install.  Top notch stuff. 

Brian Bolly:
x2 of Scott's suggestion on a mesh system.  Depending on the layout of the house and where the base router would be, it may not be quite enough to hit *everywhere*

I've had a Synology RT2600AC dual-band gigabit router for a few years that replaced an old Apple Airport Extreme.  It's been rock solid, the interface is easy, and in our ~2000 sq ft place with plaster/lath walls and over 30 adjacent WiFi networks that I can see, the performance has been good.  Any larger of a place and I'd want a mesh system (which it supports), but in terms of reliability and stability it's been good.

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Brian Bolly on June 17, 2021, 03:55:56 am ---x2 of Scott's suggestion on a mesh system.  Depending on the layout of the house and where the base router would be, it may not be quite enough to hit *everywhere*

I've had a Synology RT2600AC dual-band gigabit router for a few years that replaced an old Apple Airport Extreme.  It's been rock solid, the interface is easy, and in our ~2000 sq ft place with plaster/lath walls and over 30 adjacent WiFi networks that I can see, the performance has been good.  Any larger of a place and I'd want a mesh system (which it supports), but in terms of reliability and stability it's been good.

--- End quote ---

Yes, I think she needs 3, I forgot if her the the living room ceiling goes up to floor 2, if there is attic access that would be a great place.  One in the studio, one at top of stairs and then see how the signal is by the kitchen.  It really helps for cellular voice over Wifi. 

No I haven't been snooping on Debbie, she was kind enough to invite me along for her first gig with the Danley's

Debbie Dunkley:

--- Quote from: Scott Holtzman on June 17, 2021, 04:02:33 am ---
Yes, I think she needs 3, I forgot if her the the living room ceiling goes up to floor 2, if there is attic access that would be a great place.  One in the studio, one at top of stairs and then see how the signal is by the kitchen.  It really helps for cellular voice over Wifi. 

No I haven't been snooping on Debbie, she was kind enough to invite me along for her first gig with the Danley's

--- End quote ---

Ha ha- yes to anyone who didnt realize that, it must have started to sound a little weird
My living room doesnt have a vaulted ceiling Scott.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version